1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

incoming QUAD Projector retrofit Mini D2S (X Lens)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusmpg, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, I finally have some time on my hands an pulled the trigger on doing a Quad projector with a Super bright led Fog with Audi Style DRL and my Personal Turn signal Drl mod. So here is what I bought from the retrofit source. Mini d2s fore high beam and low beam. Clear lens for the stock projectors. to top them off a some fabulous foglights! Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 7.37.57 PM.png
    And this from IJDMTOY Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 7.39.29 PM.png
    And this from AliExpress Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 7.41.21 PM.png
    Any tips from people who have used these products will be greatly appreciated!
    Stay tuned for a write up!

Bryan Tu and Accordlayingkit like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's the H9 kit for?

Have you done any previous retrofits or is this your first? Suggestions heavily depend on what your experience is!

I am sure it will look awesome though

3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The h9 is for the h11 stock projector. First full retrofit. Have installed HIDS before

4. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414427264.932183.jpg
    Can someone help me find switchback LEDs for this portion of the headlight

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh... You are putting a HID kit in a halogen projector (or is it LED on the PiP?) and then retrofitting 1 projector additional for the high beam?

If you are ripping apart your headlights, do it properly and do a full retrofit. Take out the projector behind the stock area and replace it with something much better and designed for HIDs. Also 6000K bulbs are not a good idea. They make it look very ricey and have less output than 4300K bulbs. 5000K is about as high as you should go because remember after a few hundred hours they colour shift. So 4300K bulbs become 5000K bulbs (ish) and 5000K go up to 5600K-6000K. Your 6000K will go up to 6600K-7000K which is not in the realm of real.

I commend you for taking on such a big challenge for your first retrofit. I would recommend buying a second pair of lights off of eBay or a junkyard too. To do it properly will take many hours. My retrofits if I have time to work on them non-stop usually take the weekend because of dry times for various glues and such. You can of course cut this down if you do things ahead of time on the bench, but I prefer to build the retrofit "on the car" versus "on the bench". And if they are not aimed properly you are ripping it all out and starting over. So having a spare headlight assembly for when 3am Sunday morning rolls around and you have to have the car on the road the next morning for work is a life saver. In CA you will most assuredly be ticketed for driving without headlamps.

If you are hell bent on using the stock projectors (which are pretty crap, and output light in the wrong spots) at least cover part of the squirrel finders so you don't blind incoming traffic. You will be in there anyways so it is just an extra piece of anything and some glue.

6. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes that is right, hid in halogen projector, and retro fit in the high beam. I chose 6k becasue its a 65watt ballast for the h9 (I also got D2s too and added the clear TSX-r lens) and 55watt for the D2S so the 6k should trickle dow to 5k or atleast 5.5k. For the stock projector, my Lexus Rx's headlights broke tabs when it got hit, so i am taking its AFS projectors out and retroing those into the prius for its low beam, unless cutting the stock headlight gets annoying then i will just use stock projectors. I have 2 headlights from my PIP back when i got hit by a drunk driver, they also just have broke tabs and front plastic.

#6 Priusmpg, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very cool.

The RX AFS lights are my personal favourite. They take the TSX clear lenses (or TSX-R if you want to go cheap!) and a ring of cardboard from a cereal box spaces it perfectly to make that nice blue line.

8. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry for that late update, I just forgot about this thread. Anyways, I had tons of fun working on this all the callous fingers were totally worth it for the end result. took me about a week of downtime, I want to reopen the headlight and get different shrouds not really happy with these, but my options are limited with x lens.
    10676353_883218835045899_2302888488808560385_n.jpg
    10361328_884248888276227_6854692165237523725_n.jpg

9. Caoboy

Caoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this is an old thread but do you have any updates to it? Light output pics? Pros/cons? Looking to retro my Prius as well.

Burna J likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you looking to do a quad retro? The single projector retro with the retro-quik system from The Retrofit Source was a pretty easy to install kit. I'd say your only option for bolt on is the RX350 projector, which I thought was a pretty plug and play operation. If you're a beginner I would do research that way.

Pros for retrofit is awesome light output. Cons are money and time. I've had some problems with parts going out in my HID system, which I have to admit is a pain in the nice person when you can't figure it out, but I learned from it. Nothing's been so bad that I would change back to the stock setup. I would highly recommend The Retrofit Source for buying some if not all your parts. Their customer service has been awesome and they seem to really stand behind their products.

11. Caoboy

Caoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually just ordered a kit for:them for the rx350 projectors. Was tempted to quad retro but I’ll revisit that if I feel those rx350 isn’t enough.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The RX lenses are superb. My favourite. If you want that super sweet cutoff and hue, some Acura TSX lenses fit perfectly over the Lexus RX330/RX350 projectors. I've used them in most of my retrofits.

13. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it's your first time retro then I wouldn't go quad. Especially since the other set won't be plug in play like the RX350's. I have the Mini H1s and those are plenty. The RX350 is an even more superior projector.

14. Caoboy

Caoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It’s not my first time retro’ing a vehicle, but it is my first time configuring one that’ll just bolt in. I know as soon as I install I’m going to be kicking myself for not doing it earlier

15. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a rx350 retro w/ clear lens, cbi bulbs etc and while it is an upgrade i honestly was not blown away at the end result. Not to say the result was bad the lighting is still excelent but i was expecting omre

16. Caoboy

Caoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much better was the upgrade compared to stock?

I’m not looking for laser beams :)

Just something better for night driving.

17. Jarkko

Jarkko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Just go for laser! That's just freaking cool :)
    Sanvi 3 inch led laser car headlight with bi led projector lens 30W for LED, 10W 15W for laser with import 500NA auto led lights-in Car Headlight Bulbs(LED) from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    Last time I was checking them I found a pair for about 500 USD.

Back to the topic.
    It's cool that some people can do such mods.
    High beams could be also swapped to LED bulbs. You can get more light that way, but the maximum intensity wont increase (compared to new quality halogen bulb). So you'll get more light to sides, and keep about the same maximum distance. So it's not the optimum, but easier.

#17 Jarkko, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018