1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Increasing fuse volt 5.0 v to 7.5 v

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zakky, May 24, 2015.

1. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    i went to fix a side mirror camera and while he was checking the camera suddenly the car shut downed then he said the fuse is gone and he relapsed a fuse under the passenger side dash 5.0 v to 7.5 v so i asked him u have been increased the fuse volt will it be a problem he said no problem at all then after that i use my car well more than 4 months i hop that wont be an issue am i right?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The purpose of a fuse is to protect a circuit from too much current. Too much current running through wires that are not thick enough will overheat and melt things due to resistance. Overheating wires can also cause a fire.

If you are running more current through a circuit than it is designed for, or it can handle without blowing fuses, then that is a really good sign that you should be taking power from a more robust circuit, or better yet, the fuse block or battery, and use a relay to switch the power.

So, no it is not alright to replace a fuse with one with a higher rating.

zakky likes this.
  3. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    this my damn mistake i wanna replace it soon :( but now how to check whether it has been caused any damaged or not?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those fuse ratings are amps, not volts. Fuses also have system volt ratings, all the fuses in your car will have be rated higher than 12V.
    That wrong fuse caused no damage, but it also didn't provide sufficient protection if something else went wrong. If nothing else broke, and you had no fire or smoke, then don't worry. Just go take out the wrong one and put in the right one, right now.

zakky likes this.
  5. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks dude i am really worried about this now only my heart start beating again. :) i am breathing now thanks a lot for your advice :)