Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

1. TGB4 2014 Prius Convention Hotel Discounts are ending this week. Click for more information. All Access registration with personalized items ends Sept 1. Register now!

Info button intermittently not working

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mooseo, May 18, 2010.

Social Buttons

1. mooseo

mooseo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a weird problem... on my 2004 Prius, the Info button on the wheel occasionally stops working. Originally, I thought that it was the button, so I just pushed harder, but that didn't accomplish anything. I can still access the screen through the MFD button, but the steering wheel button remains dead until I power off the car, then it works fine.

I've found one other post in the forums a few years back of the same problem, but no discussion or solution... has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does the Map along with the bluetooth buttons work flawlessly?
  3. mooseo

mooseo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the map button still seems to work fine. Not sure about the bluetooth button since I never use it. I also did have another weird thing happen while adjusting the radio volume... the volume display seemed to get stuck on the MFD for a while, but didn't respond to the knob.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your MFD may be going bad. Thr symptons sound similar. Hobbit has a solution on his site to fix it.
  5. mooseo

mooseo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that was my fear. I've read through those instructions and they seem manageable... but I'll wait until it gets a lot worse before I try it!
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I recently did the "Hobbit" fix on my MFD. You should consider the offer from Steve (AutoBeYours) at Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair to send you a replacement for $325 (plus shipping).

If you do want to do it on your own I have a few suggestions:

• Get some proper tools for surface mount soldering:
      • A soldering iron with a 1/64 inch conical tip (I had an old Weller TCP and bought a pts8 tip from http://www.mouser.com/.
      • Some narrow diameter solder to match the tip (also from Mouser).
      • A "Solder Flux Pen" to apply some cleaning flux to terminal 60 (once more from Mouser).
      • A high power magnifying glass mounted on a stand (The soldering pad you are trying to re-flow is very small).
      • A 30x microscope to see the before and after pin 60. (I used an inexpensive Radio Shack lighted hand-held microscope).
    • Set up a clean, well lit work area and take your time to familiarize yourself with the MFD board.
    Good luck. My first try without these tools worked for a few days. The second try with these tools looks much better.

JeffD
  8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know this is an old thread but I did a search as I have the same issue on my 2004 Prius too. Interestingly enough, when I turn the steering wheel so that the button appears upside down, the button works flawlessly. I am wondering if the contact is compromised. The MFD and all other stuff works fine.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Within the steering wheel hub, there is a "spiral cable" which provides connectivity between the switches on the steering wheel hub and the wiring harness. That cable apparently has an intermittent connection and needs to be replaced.
    1 person likes this.
  10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius

This type of cable is sometimes called a "clock spring".

Tom
    1 person likes this.
  11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds EXPENSIVE!! I think I'll resort to using the INFO button on the side of the MFD in the interim.