1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Information on Steering and Hybrid Coolant Pump Recalls C0T and C0U

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seilerts, Nov 14, 2012.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometimes you wake up and find that a few mysteries of life have been explained.

Today, Toyota announced safety recalls C0T and C0U for 04-09 Prius.

On rare occasion, we have heard of people losing all steering ability. This is now covered by C0T. If the steering wheel is held at one lock position while driving slowly, the splines on the steering shaft will wear out. For example, holding the wheel at hard lock while backing out of your driveway every day would eventually cause this failure on affected cars. Holding the wheel at hard lock is bad on any car anyway, FYI. Oh, this failure almost always leads to a broken clockspring as well. Hopefully those users who reported this problem can get a full refund for all repairs, which were generally over $1000.

Sometimes, we would hear about inverter cooling pumps blowing the fuse on the circuit that provides power. This is explained by C0U. If you had your pump replaced by LSC A0N, then you are covered.

See attached pdf for further information.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am anxiously waiting for the VIN ranges to be released.

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked and my VIN is included in the COT (Steering) but no indication of COU.

Just scheduled a visit with the dealer to have the steering checked this Saturday morning.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which electric water pump is C0U replacing? The inverter coolant pump?

Edit: Nevermind. I just read the OP's complete post and the answer is yes. I have done LSC A0N so I am good.

6. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could somebody explain how to find the TIS site stated in the pdf as containing the affected VIN #s? I'm not even sure what TIS means;-). Thank y'all.

7. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I checked my UK 2008 Prius and Toyota inform me that both the steering shaft and inverter water pump will be replaced.

The pump is being replaced not for bearing failure but because motor winding insulation has been scratched in production causing internal shorts in the motors.

Good news for me as mine was not covered under the previous campaign.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just checked our VIN # and it appears that both campaigns apply to our Prius also. The head of service @ Tejas Toyota advised me that Toyota will be sending out letters to all owner's who are affected by the two campaigns via first class mail. According to him, second hand owners and so forth should still get a letter as Toyota searches registration records for VIN #'s then sends out the letters to the registered owners.

If you ask about campaign #C1U and #C2T, any service advisor at any Toyota service center should be able to give you more information.

He also said that it will take some time before the repairs can be made. He expected something within the next four to six weeks.

Ron

10. daveatm14

daveatm14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I replaced my spiral cable (clock spring) with a new part from eBay. I wonder if I can get them to reimburse me for the part? Yes I turn the wheel to the right lock to back into my driveway. I do not want them to cut my gas peddle if I take it in for the steering wheel recall. I had the inverter pump done on my 2005 when it was a service campaign.

11. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    C0T recall on my '07. Oh well. It needed to go in for an inspection and oil change anyway.

12. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My 05 is also on the COT recall list. I am a member of Toyota Owners and when I log in it shows the recall as the first thing.

[​IMG]

13. Ericw

Ericw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am on the same boat as Oldwolf, same notice but only for the shaft. No mention of the waterpump. Is the list of vin's complete for both recalls I wonder.

I have never had my car into the local toyota dealer and I'm a bit worried about bringing it in..

14. JPP

JPP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just called my local toyota dealer about it and they said they do not even have the replacement parts yet. They said to give it time and call back.

15. Ericw

Ericw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, mine was checking to see if they had the parts. Said they would order them and call me when they can set an appointment. Likely have to wait for alpha base 1 to beem the parts to them.

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This will be the third time work has been required on the Steering shaft in my 2004 Prius.
    • Recall in 2005 - "inspected" intermediate shaft and replaced upper shaft assembly - warranty
    • Repaired steering "Clunk" 2 years ago at 180k miles - Replaced intermediate shaft and "slip ring" $1000 - My cost
    • Current recall - will replace Intermediate shaft again and/or pay me for the work done 2 years ago. I do not know if that part is the "improved" design or just the earlier one that is subject to failure.
    I begin to get concerned that there has been insufficient testing in the design phase of things that have been done for years in their cars. Toyota has been generally very careful in the testing of the new technology in our Prii with only some exceptions (MFD solder crack, Inverter Electric Coolant Pump failures, ...)

JeffD

cwerdna and [email protected] like this.
  17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer said they won't be starting work on the recalls until January.

19. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this recall only affect the US Prius?

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Post #8 indicates that UK Prius also are subject to the recall. I suggest you contact your local dealer to confirm whether Australian models are included.