1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inside my Charging Cable

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rhodrons, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    As part of a project to connect my charging cable to my 240V domestic supply, I need to feed the cable that attaches to the J1772 socket through a brick wall from the carport into my garage. I realised that the easiest way of doinig this would be to cut the charging cable between the J1772 and the Control Unit but I did not know what I would find inside the cable and couold find no specific help on the internet. I was curious as to how many wires would be within the cable and whether they would be colour coded or all the same colour but numbered. I bought a six terminal 20Amp junction box just to be on the safe side and with trepidation cut into the wire. I need not have been concerned - fifteen minutes later all was connected and charging again. I thought I would share a few photos so others could have the benefit of my efforts! (I am not sure what the purpose of the clear strands of polythene-type material running along the cable are - so I left them attached)

Attached Files:

mythos likes this.
  2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The poly strands are there to add strength to the cord . It takes some of the physical load off the copper wires and outer sheathing.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The filler-strands are also used to fill the voids between wires, prevent the insulation from wearing through, and to make the cable round.

4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are a brave man!

5. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The junction box looks interesting. A proper junction box should be rated for the current of the breaker protecting the circuit with 10% to 20% headroom. It should be rated for the expected ~voltage. It should be made from a material that does not burn or melt. and it should provide adequate mechanical protection to protect against accidental contact with the circuit.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    rxlawdude likes this.
  7. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't get what you did. It looks like you just inserted the junction box into the middle of the cable without cutting the cable itself (since the poly filler is intact), and I don't see what that accomplished. How could you have put it through the wall?

8. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Gallde,
    Yes you are correct, so far I have not done the drilling of the wall to pass the cable through. I wanted to check that I was not going to have any difficulties with wiring the junction box. I have to fit these projects in piecemeal rather than getting a good run at them. This project is well within my capability but I have day job and a family to raise!

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May be a silly question, but why not just buy an extension cord and cut/mangle that through the wall? It is equally illegal here in North America and it doesn't destroy your EVSE for a few extra pounds...

10. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    FTL, I think we do things differently on this side of the pond. My charging cable is currently plugged in to my domestic supply via a 13amp fuse. This fuse will blow in the event of any excessive current in the charging circuit. I have bought a 20amp rated junction box and 2.5mm2 wire but if I try to pull 20amp the 13amp fuse will blow (and the breaker will also trip in the main fuse box). Plastic electrical boxes predominate here in the UK. Our voltage is 240v which means that you have to treat it with respect but after three years studying engineering at college and 35 years designing and building machines in factories I feel happy re-wiring plugs!

11. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    2k1 toaster - The reason is because I don't live in the sort of neighbourhood where you leave your doors open at night and you certainly set your burglar alarm whenever you go out. I feel that £20 for some boxes and cable is a good investment to put the charger control unit into my garage and but keep the J1772 readily available. I know this will prevent me from using the charging cable when I am out and about but being realistic it means more to me not to have to shell out for a replacement cable in its entirety rather than save a few pounds by charging more frequently on long trips.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just curious. For locked outdoor items I keep them in a security weatherproof box. For instance I have a router and some cabling routed inside something like this mounted to a tree outside:
    [​IMG]

Of course it could be stolen, but the probability of any crime is low in my area let alone someone who would open an outdoor electrical box to see what it in there. Generally just wiring since they are very common around here. My hot-tub and solar install AC disconnect switches are inside similar boxes installed professionally, except the hot-tub is required by code not to be locked.

13. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

14. Rhodrons

Rhodrons New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    2k1toaster ...but I guess that living in the Rockies you have more trouble with bears than I do so we each have our own issues to deal with!

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Indeed. I have a mountain lion that lives on my property which is the only scary animal. Mountain lions are only seen and heard when they want to be, and will attack for little reason. Bears here are basically big dogs. They just lumber around eating garbage and bird seed. When I go for walks in the evening I usually see a bear at least once a week. About the size of a VW beetle just walking down the other side of the street on the sidewalk. Then the deer are everywhere, rabbits that won't move out of your way in the driveway, etc. Darn nature!

16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Sounds like you live in Wild Kingdom. :)