1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installed 2010 Wheelskin and rear view mirror with pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SAK, Aug 28, 2009.

1. SAK

SAK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Guys,

I just finished installing a wheelskin steering wheel cover on my 2010 Black III prius with Nav. I also have a Gentex after market rear view mirror installed. In my opinion, nothing beats factory installed but am still happy with both of these.

Thought I would post a few pics and some comments on my experience.

WHEELSKIN: I purchased a two tone (black and charcoal) with the sides perforated. Thought it would best match my interior. I did request some color leather samples to finalize my decision on color and perforation options.

INSTALATION: Takes time, about 1 hour but very easy to do. Just keep the string tight. Had the impression that the wheelskin would be very tight and would have to really stuggle to get it on. This was not the case, it was snug but easy to put on and position. The threading is teadious but easy.

ISSUES: The wheelskin is cut to a uniform width but the 2010 prius steering wheel varies in thickness. The wheelskin looks really good where the wheel is thick (top section) but where the wheel is thinner the leather bunches a bit.

GENTEX MIRROR: Ordered a mirror from my Toyota dealership. I thought I would be getting a OEM mirror instead it turned out to be aftermarket Gentex Mirror.

Installation: paid $99 for dealership to install it. Was not comfortable doing it myself.

ISSUES: It obvioiusly does not have factory look but I do like it. A few issues. The wire from the mirror to the wire cover is visible. I wish the wire came out the back for a cleaner look. One of the wires was white and you could so easily see if from the outside of the windsheild. I complained. The installer first used a sharpie to color it black and then installed a black strip between the windshield and the wire cover. It looks fine now.

Overall I am happy I did the two upgrades and would recommend it to others.

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can wrap the wires in black tape, then it's not so noticeable. Unplug it from the mirror, the little plastic cover snaps out and the wire can get taped up.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it just me who also wants a wheel cover - but one that looks more tight and original.......

4. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope not just you, I would also like a tight fitting steering wheel cover.:)

Imho, unless someone comes out with a wheel cover that is shaped exactly like the steering wheel (kinda squared off at the bottom) you will never get a perfect fit.

Two ideas.....get the next smaller size to compensate for the bottom of the steering wheel or remove the stitching from the wheel cover at the seam(s) and trim a little off/re-stitch and install.

Maybe when the manufacturer measured the steering wheel they only measured left to right and didn't even notice thet the wheel was not round!?!:eek:

How about Gen II Prius? Are the steering wheels round or like ours? If the wheel is shaped like the Gen III, how did they handle this issue? Or did they?

5. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OEM mirrors ARE Genteks.

Has anyone measured the circumference of the steering wheel to see if it actually is 14 1/2 inches? This is the third Gen III Wheelskin install I've seen and they all look the same with respect to the leather bunching up and, despite the bests efforts of those installing them, looking bad. In fact, after seeing the results I'll be sending mine back to the manufacter (it's still in the box).

On a positive note, the color combination you chose looks really nice.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're oval but they do have a tighter fit because they're round all the way around rather than flat at the bottom.

7. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regarding the wheel, The top part looks really good, the right side looks fairly good, the left side looks fair, and bottom looks poor.

Is there anyway you can cut the wheelskin to make it fit/look like the OEM leather wheel, with the silver bars showing? (see pic) Perhaps having a smaller piece at the bottom would give it a better fit/look.

Thanks for posting w/pics and I'm glad you like it, my plastic wheel is starting to bug me.

BTW, I know the dealership charged you $99 for the mirror install, but how much was the mirror itself? TIA

Attached Files:

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Tideland said, Gen II is oval but curved on the bottom. And the Wheelskin fits perfectly. Here's one pic of a Gen II Wheelskin (there are many others on PriusChat):

[imglink]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/7069d1199239241-wheelskins-tips-pics-p1000143.jpg[/imglink]

EDIT: If Gen III owners are unhappy with the fit, I think they should alert Wheelskins about it, and consider returning the product. I believe that when Wheelskins first came out with a cover for the Gen II, it also fit poorly. And that after some customer complaints, Wheelskins corrected the problem so the fit was perfect.

9. SAK

SAK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I had a prior deal with them and they charged me employee cost at $143 but the mirror goes for around $198. I agree the stock leather wrapped wheel looks so much better than the wheelskin.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Boo, is that a pic of your car? Awesome job on installing the wheelskin cover!:rockon:

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't do as good a job as Boo installing my Wheelskins on my Prius II, but it looks a lot better than they do on the Prius III. I would consider that appearance unacceptable. They should be making a custom size to fit.
    [​IMG]

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that's someone else's car.

I do have Wheelskins for my car though -- black and charcoal perforated. They've been sitting in the box for 2 years (I do lazy really well).

13. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Boo, if you decide to give up on putting on the wheelskins, shoot me a price for one! If you lived close to Denver I'd put it on for you. My black one looks pretty much like the one in the pic. However, it gaps a wee bit along the bottom - I believe wheelskins quality has been slipping for quite a while (I've been using them since at least 1994).

As for lazy, well, everyone should check out Boo's sunroof. He did have the energy to track down someone who would do a sunroof on a Prius (which is supposed to be impossible to do).