1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Back up Camera on my '13 TCH LE

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by usnavystgc, Oct 16, 2013.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Using this wonderful "how to" on mrrace.com, (Backup Camera) I was able to successfully install a backup camera for next to nothing. Since I have the LE with the upgraded radio (which I think is the lowest level of TCH you can get), I was able to install it with very few issues. The LE does not have the connecter under the center console as this car does so the wires had to be ran directly to the back of the "radio". There is a 16 pin connector that plugs into the back of the radio that has a single red wire on it. That's the plug you will use. Follow the schematic shown in the "how to" for the wiring. The red wire I spoke of earlier is hooked to pin 6. You will use pins 7, 8, 15 and 16 which are located to the right of pin 6 as you look at the back of the plug. Pins 7 and 8 are the last two pins on the top row of the plug and 15 and 16 are directly below 7 and 8.

If anyone is thinking of tackling this, I say do it. I got the camera off Ebay for $49 with free shipping. The only other thing I had to buy was some connector leads like these (BasicX Header type jumper wires) I purchased mine from my local Radio Shack. They are the kind that you can plug into a square pin on a circuit board. They fit right in the plug on the back of the radio/screen.

I also modified the instructions some because I didn't want to drill into the trunk lid. Instead I filed a hole in the lens of the license plate illumination lamp. I filed the hole at the bottom where the lens joins with the gasket on the lamp assy. so a good seal could still be attained and water will not get in.

If anyone is interested in more details, just ask and I'll help you out. :)