1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed LEDs now lights stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by G1GABYTES, Jul 28, 2014.

1. G1GABYTES

G1GABYTES New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Help please! So I replaced all the interior halogen lights, parking lights and license plate lights with cool white LEDs. They look good and all was fine until the last step while installing the license plate lights. I plugged one side then turn the light switch on to verify the polarity to see if bulb would come on which it did. Same process for the second license plate light but this time around after turning on the light switch to see if it was plugged in right, I noticed the brake lights didn't come on. So I flipped the switch around a few times and nothing. Now the DRLs do not come on either as well as the parking lights. The only lights that work now are the head lights and interior lights. What happened how do I fix???

#1 G1GABYTES, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you turn that last led bulb around? Not mentioned in your post.

Also, did you check your fuses?

SCH-I535

3. G1GABYTES

G1GABYTES New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I can't get one side to light up. No matter if I flip the led round because the lights do not come on by means of using the switch located by steering wheel.

The lights do flash on while locking our unlocking the car with key remote.

Have not checked the fuses yet. What would I look for. What would have caused a fuse issue?

4. G1GABYTES

G1GABYTES New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So basically, if I walked out to my car right now and turn it on and flip the light switch all the way, the ONLY lights that would come on would be the low beams.

But while unlocking the car all the lights would flash as normal.

Do I need to reset the battery? Would that make any difference

5. G1GABYTES

G1GABYTES New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: checked the fuse box. Nothing seems to be blown, everything seems normal there

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It really sounds like a fuse. You need to pull the appropriate fuses and check them with an ohmmeter. Nos. 24 and 25 in the engine compartment are for the running lights. No. 14 in the left-side instrument panel runs the brake lights.

7. G1GABYTES

G1GABYTES New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you drysider! I took the car into the dealership this morning and it was indeed a blown fuse.

Since I just bought the car within 30 days I figured it would be covered. Ended up having to pay $65 for the fuse and labor I guess.
    Atleast they did cover the rental car for 24 hours.

8. Gunjee

Gunjee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why did you end up paying $65, if you don't mind me asking? Isn't there a bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years, not to mention free maintenance for the first 2 years?

Does that get voided because you installed aftermarket bulbs???

9. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure they charged because it was not a manufacture problem, probably told them what he did. If he kept quiet, either they might have started by checking the fuse first and never noticing the LEDs or he should have put the original bulbs back before he took it in.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ID 10T error, plain and simple. ;)

Not covered under warranty.

SCH-I535

11. Gunjee

Gunjee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So does that have something to do with the "canbus" thing that some LED lights advertise? All of the LEDs that I have installed so far (headlights, parking lights, license plate lights) don't have any "canbus", and thankfully I haven't encountered any errors. I was thinking about changing out the interior lights next, but now I'm a little hesitant!