1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed my Eibach Springs: photos and initial notes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NineScorpions, Dec 29, 2011.

1. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I finally had time to install my springs yesterday. Like the others, the rear is a breeze, but the front is a bit more time consuming. Eibach states a 1.2" drop in the front and 0.8" in the rear. Based upon my before and after measurements, I dropped 1.0" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. It has a slight rake to the front. It definitely changed the stance of the car and the tires really fit well now into the fenders. Thus far I am loving it!

Before the Eibach kit:
    [​IMG]

After Eibach kit install:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks great! I like the tapered moldings you have better than the standard ones, flow much better with the body line. You should get the smoked Valenti SB lights to go with your rims and solar roof.

1 person likes this.
  3. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :D Looks really nice... especially the before pic with the rear wiper and gas cap on the wrong side. lol!

4. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to see you could pick that up...attention to detail! Needed to flip the photo so the before/after shots were similar.

5. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you sir...would like to but honestly I have spent enough already, lol.

6. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow. Those make a night and day difference on your car. Nice work! Looks great.

1 person likes this.
  7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That drop looks like mine! :D Funny how we both did the same thing with our Prius on the same day too! :rockon:

8. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol...great minds think alike!

9. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks perfect !!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I added a strip of black vinyl across the windshield. The guys did a good job...it actually looks like it came from the factory that way.

[​IMG]

Then I had the decal shop also stretch out and print a vinyl Eibach logo which was placed on the inside opposite to the black strip. I like the logos...but do not want to give up a clean exterior look.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. ocblackpriusii

ocblackpriusii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very nice. I really like my Eibach springs. Better appearance, handling and MPG.

1 person likes this.
  12. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finally found all of my measurements. By adding the wheels and tires...the car was raised approximately one quarter inch. With the Eibach kit...it was lowered down one inch so the overall lowering of the car was about three quarters of an inch. Today was the first true test as I have to drive over 8 speed bumps just getting into work. All of varying heights and I did not have any issues on any of them. However I am taking it quite easy and not allowing the car to drop and bounce. Only actual place I have scrapped was the parking blocks found in any parking lot...but it was just enough to graze the black portion of the front bumper which is fine with me.

The ride is awesome...still quite a bit of body roll, lets see how long I can hold out on additional mods. No signs of any fender rubs with the 45mm offset rims. The MPG is still holding in the 46 arena...which is fine for me. I am a bit of a hypermiler...but I have also noticed that this car "appears" to respond quite well to tucking behind another car.

13. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting since I'm getting a small amount of rubbing with my Matrix winter wheels which are 16x7 +35mm offset so your wheels stick out more then mine do? :( Looking at mine I think a 16x7 or 17x7 +40mm offset would be perfect. :cool:

14. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry...posting error. They are 45mm offset. What signs are you getting of the rubbing? Vibration in the wheel? Audible feedback? marks on the tires? I have not experienced any...yet. Are you seeing it under normal driving conditions or...let´s call it "advanced" driving?

15. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hear it only on pretty big bumps that produce more of a bounce in the car. I thought that I heard it on the rear but they look to be tucked in enough as the front looks to be sticking out a little more. My wheels stick out 4mm more then yours so I think I will be perfect with a 7" +40mm offset wheel. :rockon:

16. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotcha. My rims have the same appearance. Very tucked in the rear but nearly sticking out in the front. I was entertaining the idea of a spacer in the rear...but to be honest I think the appearance gain is minimal and I do not want the rears to stick out any more potentially creating drag.

As of right now when I take a corner aggressively which by the way I do on purpose to save speed..haha :) , the car hooks as I would expect...but I feel there is not enough rubber on the road. Of course then we go back to the "this is a Prius you dummy...not a Porsche" mental thought process. Point is I would lean towards a 7.5" rim/45mm offset with 225 tires vs a 7" rim/40mm with 205 tires. I am sure there is some measurement difference in long term MPG...but to be honest the more I drive my car, the more I love the sports car like handling with hybrid level mileage. I am a fan of a bit more rubber on the road.

17. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 205/50R17 tire will give better handling then the 225/40R18. I tried both on my Corolla & I was amazed. The ride was also better with a little more sidewall. I was doing a lot of reading & the point I saw a lot was that a 18" tire would hurt handling. The testing I did seem to confirm this on my Corolla & the Prius should be similar. I saw that the 205/50R17 tire is also lighter & being 20mm less wide should give a little better mpg. When I saw 18" wheels I thought they looked too big for my Corolla so I'm sure I'll feel the same way with the Prius. I ended up with 225/45R17 tires on my Corolla but I want to stay with the 205 width on the Corolla for better mpg. I tried my stock 205/55R16 tires from my Matrix & I liked the way it handled with that tire size too. :D

18. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good information! When you talk about handling...are you talking about ride quality or performance handling or both? For me, I guess I will never know unless I friend up with a local with a 205 set and do a swap. I had 225/40's on my MR2...well I guess there is no comparing the MR2 to the Pri as you know :) I guess I will just have to compensate with some bars...I think that will help a lot. I think the only thing stopping me from cornering faster now is myself. I am still not feeling 100% comfortable behind the wheel with only about 800 miles under my belt (and the blind spots bother me still). I know exactly what my truck can and cannot do...got to figure that out in the Pri. By the way, I have discovered another reason not to put a spacer on the rears. I have to drive through some poorly setup lawn sprinklers every morning. I think the rears being a little tucked may keep down on the water up on the side of the car. Well, those are my excuses...lol. :rolleyes:

Either way, this car is a joy to drive with the rims/tires/springs combo!

19. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 17" wheel will improve handling & ride. When the sidewall gets too short handling actually gets worse as in the case of the 18" wheel.

Try adjusting your side mirrors to get rid of blind spots. Most people don't know the correct way to adjust them. :D

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver