1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Trailer Hitch on 2011 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ashrat, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ashrat

ashrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just installed a Valley trailer hitch on my 2011 Prius. I wanted some way to mount a bike rack and didn't want to attach it to the hatch. I got the Valley trailer hitch on Amazon for an amazing $61.00 with free shipping. Only drawback was it took two months to get it???? They listed it on the order form as taking 1-2 months to get it and it did take 2. I installed it myself without having to raise the car with a jack or put it on ramps. I just laid on the ground and removed the 4 bolts (2 on the driver's side that hold the anchor bracket on - I was told this is one of the anchor points for shipping the Prius) and 2 on the passenger side that hold the muffler bracket on. The hitch just slips in there and bolts up without the anchor bracket and between the muffler bracket and the frame. It only took me 30 minutes to install it. I have been around tools before but I'm 60 years old and have a bad shoulder. If I can do it in 30 minutes I think almost everyone else could too.

2. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suggest that you check the bolts for tightness after using the rack a couple of times. Good work and enjoy your bike rides.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish someone made one out of something that will not rust. Any hitch used in the north will rust in 2 years.

4. JStrenk

JStrenk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to do this also. What size is the receiver ? 1-1/4"?

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are over a million threads on this.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...but the search function is for crap, and there's always room on the forum for another post. ;)
    The one I saw was a 2".
    Good luck!

cyberblader likes this.
  7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. ashrat

ashrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is the 1 1/4 inch size hitch. I just checked on Amazon and the 58601 hitch for the 2010-2012 Prius is now $95 with free shipping. I got mine for a bargain. Most of them are running $125.

9. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    look interesting but...

On the amazon product page:
    "This product does not fit your 2012 Toyota Prius"

Anyone know if this is true?

10. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the bolts are properly torqued to manufacturer specs (with a torque wrench), you shouldn't have to worry about them coming loose. Did the installation instructions come with a torque spec?

Hitches take a lot of abuse. Any powder coating or plating will get dinged, and rust will form... the only option for a truly rust-free hitch would be to make it entirely of stainless steel. The cost of such a hitch would be prohibitively expensive.

Why not just touch up your hitch with a couple blasts of Rustoleum every now and then?

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my last car I tried powered coating and it kept getting dinged and rusted. After that, every 2 years I took it off, stripped it and painted it with Rustoleum. It would be great if someone came out with one that was made of aluminum or a strong plastic composite material. The aluminum would oxidize and turn black. That might not be bad.

I would buy something that did not rust today. Putting a hitch knowing it will be covered in rust in 2 years is not for me.

This is a pic of me having to paint the hitch every 2 years in my backyard.
    [​IMG]

12. ashrat

ashrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Valley hitch had torque instructions with it. I don't remember exactly what the specs were but I know they were there.

13. ashrat

ashrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I took my Prius in for the 5000 mile service and in the dealers parts showcase there was a 1 1/4 drawtight trailer hitch. I am almost certain this was for the generation II Prius. Valley sent me one for a generation II car when I order one for my generation III. I am sure it was for a gen II. I was wondering why they would have one at the dealer when a Prius is not rated to tow anything. I was curious, but not curious enough to ask the parts guy/gal. Mine is just going to be used for a bike rack but the one in the showcase had a 1 7/8 ball mounted on it???

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recheck the torque after some use like you mentioned earlier. Never completely trust an aftermarket devices instructions. The last two hitches I installed both had some additional bolt movement when I re-torqued them later. The main problem with them is that they usually bolt layers of unmachined metal together so the small surface irregularities wear down and allow the bolts to lose some tension.

15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed that amazon doesn't have things correct for that 2012 prius. There are only a few products you can buy that say they work with the 2012.