1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing front license plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sgolier, Jun 12, 2007.

1. sgolier

sgolier New Member

Hi there: I just bought an 04 Prius from my brother. He's in PA and didn't need a front license plate, and I'm in NY and I do. Thanks to this forum I found where the front plate mount is located, but it only has 2 screws. Question (and I apologize in advance if this is dumb) - are those two screws for attaching the frame to the car, or attaching the plate to the frame? What screws are recommended for the other? Thanks in advance!

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey there....enjoy the Pri!

I believe the same screws go through the plate and the frame. I'm afraid I don't know the diameter/thread of the screws though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

3. sgolier

sgolier New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ Jun 12 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]460304[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - we love it already. unfortunately it's two different sets of holes.

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ahh--I just went out and looked. You're probably missing the pastic mounting surface that mounts to the front bumper. Then the plate mounts to that with two screws.

You may have to try to track that piece down...or you can use some real class and use bailing wire like I did on my truck. :lol:

5. sgolier

sgolier New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ Jun 12 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]460317[/snapback]</div>
    I have that piece - it was in the compartment under the trunk. So - if I use the two screws included with it to attach the frame to my bumper, what screws do I use to attach the plate to the frame?

bailing wire is a good idea - i was thinking duct tape, but.... ;)

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mango mangosteen @ Jun 12 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]460324[/snapback]</div>
    Use the duct tape. If it works on the Space Shuttle, it should work on your Prius....

Keith :unsure:

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mango mangosteen @ Jun 12 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]460324[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Florida, REAR plates only...... but as I waxed (Zaino) our new Prius I noticed the two small "dimples" in the front bumper where the screws attach the plate holder to. I too found my front plate bracket in the rear compartment and it is safely stored away in the garage now. I would suggest pre-drilling holes (very carefilly) about 1/2" DEEP into these "dimple locaters" in the front bumper before I put the screws in. Use a small drill like a 1/16", 3/32" or so, just enough so the screws won't "walk" and scratch the bumper. Same when drilling, do NOT let the drill walk and scratch the bumper either. Use masking tape or low-stick painter's tape over holes when drilling just in case. The two black, pointed, self-tapping-type screws (with built-on washer) that come in the plastic bag with the front plate holder bracket go through the "cup shaped" recessed holes in the bracket and into the bumper. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN !!By the way, the bracket goes on like an upside down "U" and the silver, square, plate nuts go UP TOP !! YOU will have to supply the two BUMPER BOLTS (threaded) to go into these holes to secure your plate on.... standard bumper screws (bolts), I think 3/16" thread ?? Available at any auto parts store. Get metal or nylon, your choice, but make sure they are the same THREAD as the silver metal "clips" (bring bracket with you !!)
    I think it's pretty lame to have to drill the bumper.........
    On other vehicles I had (Honda) the plate holder mounted in two metal pre-threaded holes already "hidden" in the bottom of the front bumper (clip nuts). If you decided to remove the front plate, like if you moved (in reverse of what you did) then NO unsightly holes in the front bumper :D !!

8. copper

copper New Member

i have this same question, from california. please help!

9. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(copper @ Oct 1 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]519948[/snapback]</div>
    Just install like I explained (above - post #7).

We currently live in Florida (rear plate only) but in 2008 we will be moving back to Connecticut (TWO plates) so that nice, sleek, clean, Prius nose will then be forced to have the front license plate bracket installed, along with our Honda CR-V. Most of your "higher end" vehicle manufacturers will make the front license plate holder so it "bolts" UNDER the opening in the front bumper, thus, easy to install one if needed and NO HOLES showing if in a state that does not need a front plate. Luckily my Honda CR-V is like that and luckily I saved both Honda and Prius brackets and hardware :D

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mango mangosteen @ Jun 12 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]460294[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(copper @ Oct 1 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]519948[/snapback]</div>
    You will need 6 mm diameter screws to screw the front license plate into the top two screw holes in the front license plate mount. BTW, most foreign made (read metric) cars use 6 mm diameter screws for the license plates, and most American made cars use 1/4 inch diameter screws.

The length of the screws required varies --- from 10 mm to 30 mm long --- depending on whether you will be using a license plate frame, how thick the frame is, and whether you will be attaching other stuff with the screws (e.g., I've attached two small, round, cylindrical, spool-like rubber bumpers).

You can buy these metric sized screws from a good hardware store (they cost around 60 cents each). Metric sized stainless steel screws would be preferable, but they're hard to find.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mango mangosteen @ Jun 12 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]460294[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the original '04 Prius owners cult !!
    I actually was bugged how the front plate mounting bracket sits on the front of the bumper, and was reluctant to install it. It looked like a gosh darn air dam sittin' out there. So, I took 4 round head stainless screws, form fitted the plate, and now, I feel like I just slip thru the breez. I'm certain this configuration is what caused my mpg to go from a measly 50mpg to an all time high of over 71mpg.
    :D
    [attachmentid=11940]
    Whew! Just finished washing all those bugs off the car, too, before anyone could ream me about it

Attached Files: