1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance costs for PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Kurt Weiske, May 16, 2014.

1. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got off of the phone with my insurance company. Given the same coverage, deductible and miles, my 2014 PiP is going to cost almost 25% less to insure than my 2002 Camry SE.

The Camry has a 6 cylinder engine, but it's no sports car. It's got side-curtain air bags and most of the safety features the 2014 models have. I'm not complaining, mind you... :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This would make sense because on the liability standpoint, the Prius has more safety equipment than 2002 Camry. The comprehensive part would also be less because the theft rate on 2002 is much higher than a 2014 Prius.

3. Alyn99

Alyn99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're lucky. I moved up to a PIP from a 2004 Land Rover and my insurance increased by 15%. I guess due to the higher replacement cost and the fact that the PIP has a much higher 'total/salvage' rate in accidents than many other cars due to its hybrid system. At least that's what Allstate told me. The PIP cost me more to insure than the equally priced used Porsche Cayman I was considering. Go figure.

4. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    I moved from an eight year old Gen II to a new PiP and had a huge refund from the insurance company for the rest of the years premium.

5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I had a 10% increase for my '14 PiP Advanced over my '11 Five. Frankly, surprised at that, but it is what it is.

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think insurance rates are just going up. Mine certainly is and through no fault of mine. Up on my house and car. Just like with everything else I buy. Regardless of what the government would like us to believe, inflation is not in check.

Camfab likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine also went down from a 2006 Civic by about a hundred $'s for 6 months. It's pretty easy to figure out why. The Prius is less likely to be involved in an accident.

iPhone ?

8. Alyn99

Alyn99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "Mine also went down from a 2006 Civic by about a hundred $'s for 6 months. It's pretty easy to figure out why. The Prius is less likely to be involved in an accident. "

This seems strange so I am going to shop for new insurance. Allstate's party line is that the PIP is much more costly to repair/replace than a non-HEV and that's why my rates went up. They are saying it's nothing to do with its accident rate. Your 2006 civic was probably worth about the same replacement value as my 2004 Land Rover so if your premium went down buying a PIP mine should have gone down.

9. hanshinji

hanshinji New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm also shopping for insurance for my new PIP. looks like premium is more expensive than my audi Q7. expensive replacement parts was the reason. which insurance company are you guys with and how much do you pay, if you don't mind asking.

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Geico. $230 every 6 months.

11. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Obviously, not Southern California rates. :)

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I went from the TDI to the Prius, my insurance jumped around $100. When I went to the PiP, my insurance jumped another $150. The company said the PiP had some kind of special classification for damage.

13. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously our rates are different to yours, but I only got about a 10% increase compared to my 10 year old Mndeo (Ford Contour). But I'm in my late fifties, full no claims etc.

14. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    No kidding, my 4x4 Silverado had a high rate, now I listed the PIP as the primary car and it's $300 more than the truck was. I was annoyed with the truck rate and the insurance company said it was because it's a 4x4. Now the friggin nerd mobile is $300 more than the truck, complete BS. I shopped around as well.

15. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I can hear the insurance company now........well according to our latest studies PIP drivers are consistently driving the speed limit, thus creating a high risk for an accident. Additionally increasing the likelihood of an vehicle to vehicle altercation due to road rage inciting..... Creating a angry environment for all other drivers.

16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem like you may have a little road rage today.

17. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, but honestly I really did think (foolishly) that the PIP would have a low insurance cost.

18. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lots of things have affect rates, such as driving record/experience, location, annual mileage, etc. As for the PiP, I hadn't noticed that it was a particularly higher premium over my '06 Prius, but I did find out the hard way that replacement value is high where insurance companies are concerned. I got hit by a big rig gravel hauler when my car was 18 months old with 19K miles, and it was valued at nearly $28k by an independent service. This was late last summer, so had my car been totaled, I could have bought a new one with very little additional cash. But damages were just over $12K, so it was repairable.
    My insurance on the 2012 PiP basic is about $960 annually after discounts/rebates, etc, with AAA. But I'm in SoCal, and I carry high limits (500K BI, 100PD) so that could skew any attempts at comparing rates. One good thing is my rates did not go up because I was not at fault in the accident. I have a clean driving record, and put 10 to 12K miles on the PiP annually. It is one of three cars on the policy, but gets the most use.

19. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your rate for a specific make /model has to do with the statistical data associated with it.

20. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Spock :)

rogerv likes this.