1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by markabele, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have State Farm, I pay $278 for 6 months. 500, 500 deduc and 100-300-100 liability.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. It's a useless question. The OP should call his insurance company and others for quotes.

From MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - The Top 100 Common Questions
    The above ought to be a sticky here.

3. yueq

yueq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Geico here. Three cars (Prius and 2 SUVs), comprehensive on 2, one SUV liability only. 100k/300k, no rental, no roadside assistance, $490 for 6 months. The liability part on the Prius is significantly cheaper than the SUVs.

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yueq - comp and collision are two different things - do you collision on the 12?

Be careful with Geico -- the company and insurance is fine ... but the web site will let you purchase strange coverage ... I had a friend who had the problem.

I will say again -- call a few companies and ask for rates .... buy a little more than you think you need.. When you go to use it you will need it!

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Somewhat helpful (at least regionally) is to hear stories about customer service and how comparison shopping went in the past.

I shopped the big nationals, USAA, Amica and Amex. Amex was the best for me in NM, but I think they cherry pick customers. Geico and USAA were not even close to competitive, which surprised me.

6. conradb212

conradb212 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I just got a nasty surprise with my new Prius. Allstate is charging me 40% more for the Prius than for my 2011 Audi Q5 that cost almost twice as much, same coverage. The agent said Prii are very expensive to fix. And there I thought I'd be saving money by getting the Prius. As is, what I save in gas all goes to the insurance company. Does that seem right? Are others also paying much more for a Prius than for much more expensive vehicles?

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Try Geico.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We use Acuity and my Prius rate is dirt cheep. Always shop around :)

Mike

Mobile on my Asus

9. racerx91354

racerx91354 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    geico insurance
    100k/300k with UI
    500 deductible for both comp/collision

pay 88 a month for our 2012 prius and 2012 sienna

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's typical BS from Allstate.
    I just left Allstate (after being with them for over 10 years) because of their crazy pricing on the 2012 Prius.
    I went with 21st Century- they were very reasonable. Of course after I sent the letter of Accord Cancellation to Allstate they called me to say they "re-rated" my policy and their new quote was in line with the much lower 21st Century quote. But I was so angry and had wasted so much time with them at that point I went ahead and switched our three cars over and will change my homeowners policy in Jan too. Frack Allstate!

JMD likes this.
  11. Cyen

Cyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got my 2010 prius and I too was a bit surprised by how much Allstate bumped my rate. I'm now around $700+ for 6mo with full coverage. I was around 580 for my 2000 Tacoma (around $120 increase for 6mo). I've been with Allstate since day one, and they really seem to be racking up the price increases with each bill. It might be time to start shopping around.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's crazy high..
    I have $250k/$500k bodily injury, $100k property damage and $100k/$300k Uninsured Motorist for under $400/six months on the 2012 PIP.

13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paying $58 a month.
    Liability 100/300
    Property 50
    Uninsured Motorist 50
    $500 deductable
    towing
    car rental
    uninsured coverage
    My insurance decreased $12 per month when I replaced my BMW with a Prius

14. Jose

Jose New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just purchased a new Prius yesterday, and Toyota asked me to upgrade my insurance to comprehensive from just liability. When I called Progressive to change the vehicle and to upgrade the policy, they increased the price to $1,400/six months!

I was very surprised by this but, honestly, due to my ignorance about insurance, I just accepted it and moved on. Based on this thread, maybe I should try finding a new insurance company.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely get 3 quotes. I like Geico. AAA is expensive. You should always shop around every few years to make sure you not being taken advantage of.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes that is way too high. Run away, there are other companies that will offer you 12 months at less than what you pay for 6 months.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a suggestion. When I was younger and not many assets besides youth and a job I tended to have lower liability coverage or the lowest coverage allowed by law and accepted by the Bank . I know it was a gamble but it kept my insurance costs low, I had good luck no major accident, and it allowed me to save money for getting married, down payment on ahome, retirement, vacation, etc. When I got a little older and accumulated assets I increased my Insurance Coverage because in the worst scenario I had something to lose and I needed to protect it. But since I had assets I increased my deductables which lowered costs. This is just the street talking I'm not a Actuary, I'm sure many will disagree. Perhaps luck on my part it worked out for me. I never took out GAP insurance but never had a major total accident within the first 2 years of ownership. That also was a gamble. However if you need gap insurance buying it at the dealer is the worst price about $800, the bank in so bargin, but I hear car insuarnce companies have the best price about 1/3 the cost of car Dealers. Just a FYI. I do not believe Gap is required, but collision may be by the bank that hold the car loan.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Like JMD says. It doesn't cost anything to shop around every few years. If you can afford the loss then you don't need the insurance. If you are borrowing money the lender doesn't really care about you but if the car is totaled they expect to be fully paid.

JMD likes this.
  19. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my yearly premium for a Prius Two is $1310. Collision and comprehensive deductible 200. 30 days rental max $1400, 300/100 bodily injury non insured. Roadside assistance etc. No deductible on glass. This includes some discount largest being that I use the same insurer as my home policy. Some for good driver (no accident for 5 years+) and some smaller others. (two adult drivers, low mileage like under 15k per year or whatever the limit is )

Hope this helps

20. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well depend what coverage you are looking for I just switched from Geico which raised the premium by $90 for six month. Sent the qeico coverega page to competitor and saved almost $600 on a year policy (+150 on the homeowner policy as multi policy discount). BUT with Geico you can do this online you can add remove coverage and it recalculates on the fly so it was easier but more expensive.

So Geico's price is not for the same thing !!!!