1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interest free loan or pay upfront?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Oskar, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Apologies if this is in the wrong area, and moderator, please feel free to move it.

Currently Toyota has a $500 cash back and 0% interest for up to 60 months. Or a $1500 cash back without the interest free loan. I'm debating on whether to pay for the car upfront and grab the $1500 or take the five year interest free loan and the 500 bucks. There are advantages to both, but the difference in paying off the loan with a low interest rate is not that much, especially with the cash back incentive. Just wondering what others think. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would take the 1500, unless your making enough on your cash to make up the grand over 5 years.
    on 25,000, you would have to do an amortization table at whatever interest you're getting or dividends and whatever. it's proxy close to a wash either way, which is why they offer it.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It really is not interest free. It's the interest is paid up front. I also doubt that any cash is given back. It is just an arbitrary number subtracted from the car price after a whole lot of other arbitrary numbers have been added to the car price.

Remove all the buyer manipulation wording and you pay $1000 for all the pain of having a loan outstanding for 5 years. I bet there are some additional hidden costs of having the bank own your car for 5 years instead of you owning it.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Everyone should keep 3-6 months of living expenses in savings.
    If you can afford to fork over ~$25,000 and still have a decent amount left in savings.......then pay up front.
    If not, then take the low-rate financing, knowing that it really is not ZERO as was pointed out.

5. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK. I was never that great in math, and I understand what the supposed "rebate" is. I'm getting ready to purchase a Prius IV, and as it was explained to me, if I take the 60 month, 0% interest loan they initially take $500 off their final price of the car. The loan is indeed 100%, zero interest over the 60 months. No hidden fees, etc. However, if I don't take the interest free load they will deduct $1500 off the final price, a difference of $1000. I'm inclined to pay it all off in the beginning. Plus (I've never financed a car, always bought old clunkers) I think that if I finance this car my insurance may be higher as a result. Not certain, will call and find out tomorrow.

Yes, I am quite fortunate enough to be able to buy it outright.

#5 Oskar, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pay cash if you've got it. All the rest is smoke-and-mirrors on their part.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And that $1000 difference is the TRUE cost of the loan.

By paying cash up front, you save $1000 and give yourself more flexibility should you decide to trade before 5 years.
    By taking the loan, it is costing you about $17 a month extra over the life of the loan.

Your insurance rate should not be different with a loan than without it.

8. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

OK, I think I see your point now. I was always looking at it from the perspective of comparing the "deal" WITH an interest rate, and thus seeing the difference as a financial advantage. But that's ONLY if I take a loan with an interest rate, which I wouldn't do. Appreciate the clarification. It really is smoke and mirrors. Thanks!

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't even bother to exercise my brain cells (all 2 of them) on it, work out the hows and whys. Whenever there's a tempting, buy-now-pay-later offer, it's gonna cost you.

10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A free interest loan is never free. It is going to cost you. If you can afford it, pay cash.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, if you're making 10 or 12% in the market like many are, that's $12,500. to $15,000. lost over 5 years. unless the market tanks.

12. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't like to take on debt, but a car is a depreciating asset and I don't think it makes good financial sense (well buying a new car doesn't make good financial sense, but w/e) to fully drop $20k+ on it (unless ofc by paying upfront, dealer is willing to knock price way way down), because that stack of $20k+ will immediately devalue much more than the $1k difference in rebate.

13. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No question there are a number of ways to slice this pie. One consideration I'm putting in is that the economy, even though showing signs of growth, can still be unstable at times. And I'd really like to meet the person(s) who are making 12% in the market today, and can make it work over five years. That may hold up for a few weeks, perhaps months, but the past few weeks have show how unstable "the market" can truly be. I've made my decision to pay it upfront. At this point the option works best for me. Appreciate all who have commented. Good feedback here at Priuschat. Will post pics of the car when I get it. Might be next week.

fuzzy1 and ftl like this.
  14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It is hard to evaluate "financial sense" by mixing explicit costs (dollars payed) with implied costs (depreciation). There is a more clear cut way. At the end of ownership it is the total cost forked over for everything that should be the evaluation point. Between all options of leasing, buying, financing, etc. look at how much money has exited the pocket. It is an rare and unusual situation where buying the car outright is not the option with the smallest total lifetime cost. There are situations, but not that many.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure but I think those 0% loans are contingent upon you not being late on a payment, so if you mess up and make a late payment your rate goes to ?% and you get squuewed.

We bought a Nissan once 0n a 3yr 0% loan....had it set up on bank draft. Paid up several months in advance just for the heck of it and had also made payments directed to principal.
    So one month we noticed the payment had not been deducted from our bank account.

They informed us over the phone the reason the payment had not been deducted was when the bank draft was set up online that the terms were for 26? payments only...
    Needless to say I was furious and got the payoff amount and paid off the loan the next day.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know what credit card companies call folks who pay their balance on time, avoiding interest charges? Kid you not:

Dead beats

bisco likes this.
  17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I believe that. I always pay my balance in full as soon as I receive my statement. They don't like people like me.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But they still make money from your transactions, due to the merchant fees. Just less than they make from the folks who roll over their balances.

#18 fuzzy1, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking on a debt doesn't reduce the depreciation on the physical asset. It just allows the buyer to go 'underwater', owing more than the asset is worth.

20. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)When I negotiated purchasing my 2012 Prius Plug In Advance, I was given a out the door price. Zero percent, 60 month financing was a option if I qualified, which I did, and chose. I closely checked total cost to ensure no under handed add ons. There weren't any, other than standard documentation fee, processing fee, which are normal and were within reason. I took the total price to include taxes and tags, and divided the total by sixty months, and it matched my projected sixty month payment schedule. The 2012 Prius Plug Ins were closeout priced and there wasn't a difference between financing at 0% and paying cash. I've never claimed to be a financial wizard, but I am money savvy. I drove off with a new 2012 Prius Plug In Advance, and didn't spend a dime for the first month. Why spend today dollars that I can defer over the next sixty months for the same amount? Should I decide to sell or trade it prior to payoff, I'll pay it off at that time. With 60 month, 0% financing, it gives me an additional incentive to keep it for five years. We'll see. For most here to convey that Toyota's 60 month zero percent financing isn't actually 0%, I'm not convinced. Many people today don't have enough available cash or disposable assets for the uncertain times we live in. But low cost (zero %) financing or paying cash is a individual decision.

xliderider likes this.