1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interested in upgrading my Prius. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Doug prishpreed, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Doug prishpreed

Doug prishpreed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently drive a 2000 Prius and am interested in upgrading. I am open to any thoughts. I'm not sure to move ahead or stick with the classic. I see a lot driving around the downtown Boston area. (11 today to be exact)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! classic was a great ride, but other than a museum, you're missing out on some sweet hi tech, depending on your budget. 11? i see 11 in less than an hour around boston.(y)

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget we now have a $1500 MA rebate on the Plug_in Pip as well as $2500 Fed tax credit.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    What type of driving do you do? if you do A LOT of highway driving, then i would stick with the classic. if you do a lot of city driving, then get the C. im happy with the C.

5. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on what you need to do with a car, though this is honestly a question everyone looking to buy a car should ask themselves.

If you're just looking to drive to work and back, don't want to spend a ton of $$$, and have a city commute, the Prius c is an excellent choice for that, especially if you don't have access to a parking lot and have to parallel park. It struggles a little on the freeway though, and whines anytime you need to go uphill fast. Every pothole, bump, or crack you hit on the road will jostle you around a little due to its short wheelbase and mediocre suspension system, so keep this in mind if your city has a habit of not maintaining their roads regularly.

The Prius v is a good car if you haul a lot of stuff around regularly, or take a lot of family trips. It gets much less mpg than the other models however, so keep that in mind. That said, the mpg is probably still better than most other cars out there.

The Gen 3 liftback (aka the "original" prius) is also a nice choice if you want some hauling capabilities as well as being able to drive on the freeway without too much struggling. There's also a "plug-in" version, which lets you go approximately 11 miles or so on electric mode. Sure, it's not a lot compared to say, a Volt or a Leaf, but when in hybrid mode, it's a regular gen 3 liftback and you still get 50 mpg, compared to the volt's 37 mpg.

That said, if you don't absolutely need a new car right now, I'd wait until Toyota announces the Gen 4 prius, most likely in January at the Detroit auto show. Then you can snag the newest model when they become available, and get all the new toys and better mpg they'll have.

If you don't care for a gen 4, wait until the announcement anyway. Then dealerships will probably start discounting the gen 3 models shortly after the announcement, or within a few months, and you can probably get a really good deal on them.

6. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There are two potential reasons to get a Prius hatchback instead of a C:

1. Limited cargo space in C.
    2. Worse freeway mileage in the C (but, of course, better non-freeway mileage).

If you can live with #1 and you do more of your driving at 55 mph or less, then I heartily recommend getting the C.

To me, the C has plenty of power and is much quieter than my old Saturn. It handles 75 mph with no problem on the freeway even though its mileage will be "only" around 46-47 mpg at that speed. Around town, you have the potential for some amazing mileage in a C.

7. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My c easily gets better than 50 mpg hwy every day during my commute (30 mi). One trip from DC to Jersey all hwy I got over 60mpg. This is cruising 65mph+.