1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting article on Alt. Fuel and Volt Marketing/Market

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by drinnovation, Jun 9, 2012.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting MBA thesis from MIT (May 2011):
    http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/65791/749902433.pdf?sequence=1

Too much to summarize here, but it has cost/profit models for the Volt and compares it to other Alt. Vehicles, TCO models, comparisons on the market and segmentation. Interestingly, if their models are correct GM should be turning a small, but sustainable profit on the Volt.

Before I offer up my analysis, I'm curious to hear what others thing about the work, its assumptions and models.

2. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting, but what is missing is the oncoming, low emisions, high mpg clean burning diesels that are ablout to hit the market. Consumers will have more choices in deciding their next purchase. What is very interesting is the paragraph concerning Hyundais' approach: directly to the purchaser. GM should be keeping a close eye on Hyundai as a competitor.

But, what is really interesting is the work of the "invisible hand" - this is the biggest omission in the thesis: the economic situation(s) on the local, national, and global levels were not even mentioned in this MBA thesis! The Sloan School of Business management, hopefully rejected this sumittal.

The thesis is good, provided people are employed, paying their bills, NOT upside down on their mortgage, and haven't had their pensions, stripped, or their 401k decimated in the last couple of years. Economics always has, and always will play a major role in the business environment.

If the thesis included the economic market forces at work, with recent data included, then the thesis would be much more "balanced" from a business management prospective.

Without the economic considerations, this thesis falls short.

DBCassidy