1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Observations- NYC to Mount Washington, NH

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Sep 30, 2013.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I finally did it! After years of wanting to take this trip, I finally did it. I wanted to take my 2004 Prius but it is resting comfortably in South Florida. I took my 2013 Prius on this trip and expected to get mid 40's on the mileage up to NH. I was way off! I averaged 53 MPG!!!!!!! I am amazed because there were many miles of average speeds of 75-80. When we arrived at the Mount Washington toll road we were given a pamphlet with instructions for driving a hybrid down the hill. All it said was to keep it in "B". I already knew that. As for the ascent, I kept it in power mode all the way up. I wanted to have immediate torque if I needed it. I have to admit, there are stretches of this road that are pretty frightening. The road is well maintained but it barely accommodates two way traffic at some points. I looked over the edge at one point and felt queasy. My trip A had ~1850 miles and an average of 48.4 MPG. When I got to the top the average went down to 47.8 (OUCH). I made most of it back on the way down. On the way back to North Conway I took a side trip to Fryeburg ME just to say that I was in Maine! On one particular road the grade was 13%!!!! The Prius took it in stride. On the return trip to NY I averaged about the same MPG (53.2). Granted there was some traffic on the way back but I am very impressed. I could never have achieved these numbers with my 2004 Prius. I can't imagine what they have in store for the next version. Great car and a great adventure. Thanks for reading!!

ftl likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...wow not only that hill but I bet its really cold up there this time of year, often the coldest spot in US I believe. We had to buy sweatshirts in the gift shop and that was summer. Good MPG!

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was lucky. It was a balmy 53° F and virtually no wind. Quite pleasant!

4. slow_wagon

slow_wagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for posting - I am planning this trip in a few weeks and was a little worried if the Prius could handle it.