1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior Care Products

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike Rosenzweig, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello....I'm looking to get some good interior care products, primarily to protect the dash from sunlight (Protect from cracking, etc), as well as something that can help keep it dust free, etc. I also have the softex seats, so would leather care products work on those, or is there other products that people use? I usually avoid armour-all products and I've heard Meguairs (sp?) has good products. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks....

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is in no way definitive.
    Everyone finds products they like and feel comfortable with, but I can tell you what I have been using for years, now with The Prius...plastic dash, and previously with the Honda Fit, also a plastic dash.

This is a little off the mark, but my primary weapon against UV ray damage and potential dash cracking is to use a custom fit sunshield. Which benefit is superior? Dash and interior UV damage protection and/or simply keeping the vehicle cooler on hot days? Well...I get both benefits.

A sunshield doesn't clean the dash. So what I have used along those lines for years are the following.

Prevention: I keep a dry Swiffer Sweeper insert in my glove compartment, as well as I bought a small folding dust "mop" like product...also small enough to keep in the glove compartment. If I notice the dash or any of the interior getting too dusty...I'm not ashamed to pull out the Swiffer or the duster and do a quick dusting. I have done this while stopped in Drive-Thru's....or even while going through a car wash. Really it takes seconds and then dust really never is a big issue.

Keeping dust under control doesn't keep the interior perpetually clean: I'm NOT a fan of the shiny Armor All look, and many of the dash protectants to me, are oily and create way too much gloss for my taste. Here are the two products I use the most.

#1 product I use the most and really, really like....Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer cleaner. I like that it is mild and does a good job cleaning. It also can be used on virtually all interior surfaces, so I don't freak out if I accidentally overspray. I think this product does a great job at keeping the interior clean. It doesn't add artificial gloss.

#2 Product I use? I don't use this as much as I probably should. But twice a year usually Spring and Fall I'll carefully treat the dash and plastic door trim with 303 Aerospace Protectant. This creates a little bit of gloss, I would still call it very low gloss. I don't let it get on any clear plastics or screens...or even the glass.

The reason I go through the ritual of applying this twice yearly, is that Aerospace Protectant is reportedly great at UV protection. While I don't know how much UV protection the Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner provides. So I feel better about a Pre-Summer treatment and a Pre-Winter treatment.

Basically maintaining with those 4-5 tools means I never really have to work that hard. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

If I was giving singular priority to recommendation, it would be buy and use a sunshield and try Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer. Those are two different products but both ones I really like.

MPGnutcase likes this.
  3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using these wipes for a few months now:
    Armor All® - Product Detail
    They do a pretty decent job of cleaning the huge chunk of plastic Prius dash. They don't leave any lint behind either. I don't use the classic Armor All sprays as they tend to get on everything and make a big mess, but their wipes work quite well. Just be careful near the windshield....
    Of course, don't try cleaning the dash when it's hot enough to fry an egg on it- I usually wait till a rainy day- then clean the dash. And, don't store the unused wipes in the car- they'll go dry in a week or less.

4. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use 303 protectant, I have researched and also tried several different types, 303 does NOT or is not silican based which from the research tends to break down items over the years, I know for a fact that I use tire wet on my tires and after a while the sponge falls apart so it might be true. Also my hot tub cover maker stated to use 303 as well. It cost a little more, but I buy a gallon for about 55.00 and it will last for years,

PDarnall likes this.
  5. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The problem i find with most of these products is they leave the surface a bit greesy. I just place a white towel over the dash/steering wheel when i park the car outside. when i remove it the dash gets a dusting at the same time. Also I always try and park undercover or in the shade. Another good tip is to avoid door bangers by parking furtherest from the entrance in the car park at the mall; its also good exercise

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

As to UV protection. Modern windscreen glass is formulated to be UV protective. Never the less, I use 303 protectant. I would not recommend Armour All as it contains plasticisers which evaporate and leave a film on your windscreen and your lungs.;)

7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try Zaino, Their product is expensive but I was told they work :)

8. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use SMARTWAX products or Meguair's Professional or Gold Class Products, they also have a Quick Detail for interiors thats got a good ph balance, I find that some of the Prius materials are finicky as to whats put on them...

These products worked well on my BMW when I had it and they work really well on my moms Jag which is finicky due to the ivory colored interior. They also provide nice protection with low shine and non greasy feel and look.

I have my front windshield tinted with Crystaline tint, it's clear yet cuts down on heat and glare and I still use a windshield cover on really hot days.

9. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is 303 protectant the same as 303 Aerospace Protectant? That's what they sell in NZ. Can i put it on my tyres too?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you really want to keep the dash dust free put on a high quality leather steering wheel cover like Wheelskinz. I highly recommend it. Changes the whole feel of the car. First thing I put on my car is a Wheelskinz. And wear high quality driving gloves.

Alot of the dust you see on the dash is actually skin from your hands off the steering wheel. The Gen II steering wheel for instance is like a cheese grater on your hands its so rough. Only drove a Gen III once so not sure if that wheel is rough too.

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yep it's the same stuff! you could put it on tyres but wet weather would soon wash it off.

12. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey thanks. Wha'ts best for tyres?

13. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I don't know. Never use anything on mine. Too many dirt roads.;)

14. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also do nothing but a dust mop, if I made it shine it would be a big problem I think