1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jlundman83, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Jlundman83

Jlundman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got my fist prius!..few days later having some problems: red triangle, vsc, car with exclamation point. Took the car to toyota and scan came back with codes p0a08 and p0a09. Toyota diagnoses as needing a new inverter converter. However, the indicator lights are very intermittent and the car shows no real symptoms. I should mention the HV battery and 12v battery are brand new. Does this seem right needing a new inverter converter? Could it be something more simple like wiring/harness to converter? Thanks for the help!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it a salvage title car?
    Where do you live?

Much more common for the trans to fail than the Inverter. While you were at the dealer did you ask them what the service history was on that vin? All service performed in Toyota network should have service logged.
    Found on Toyota.com/owners. You can add your maintenance also.

Usually the way the Inverter fails is the Inverter coolant pumps fails and the owner does not get the car fixed quickly and continues to drive it heat stressing both the Inverter and trans. Inverter is very tough on this car and very few outright failures reported.

You may have a failed Inverter/trans coolant pump also. Take the Inverter reservoir cap off and with the car in READY you should see agitation of the fluid in that tank. That reflects good pump flow. Should be moving pretty good.
    I would also have the trans fluid changed asap and smell and look closely at the fluid for burn smell and pieces of debris.

There are many good used Inverters on eBay pretty cheap. Buy one and find an independent to replace it. Its not rocket science its just unbolting and unplugging. If you have the dealer sell it & replace it the car will be essentially totaled as the cost will be quite high. I estimate $4000+.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

This might not be related to this, but i need to know, what is the torque specification for the inverter bolts on a Prius C / Gen 3?, i think these are very similar, do you know the specification of these?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can start a new thread in the Prius c forum if you wish.

Sonic_TH likes this.