1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Cooling System 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by huahinewahine, Nov 5, 2014.

1. huahinewahine

huahinewahine New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aloha,
    I just jointed the Chat as I have problem that has been diagnosed by car repair man who hooked up my electrical to a diagnostic tool he had and the code came out Poa 93. I did the same thing a lady who posted has done....came straight home and feel skittish about driving my car to the Toyota dealership which is 23 miles from my home. I have to wait about 2.5 weeks before they can get me in for repair. The Master warning light came on without any sound, then the Hybrid System warning light (icon) came on, as well as the Malfunction indicator lamp icon
    QUESTION: Can anyone tell me if my car would be safe to drive 23 miles for the repair? Carol

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The P0A93 usually indicates that the inverter coolant pump is *pau*, which is covered by the safety recall. What that means is, there is a possibility of the inverter getting too hot. That will usually cause the car to go into "limp mode", meaning it will limit the power going through the inverter to very low levels, and the car will go only slowly under gas engine power. If that 23 miles was being driven in a cold climate, I would say no worries, just take it easy. But since it is Lahaina, you'll get too hot, probably in the Pali tunnel or something. You could make the trip in short intervals, say 10 minutes, and let it cool down. Personally, I would not want to risk damage to the inverter, which would make the repairs much more involved. Maybe there is some 3rd party tow that Toyota would authorize?