1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter for the High Voltage Traction Battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Prius C2er, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Prius C2er

Prius C2er New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested in setting up an inverter in the Prius C. Two ways of going about this are attaching to the high voltage traction battery and attaching to the 12V battery. The consensus is that the high voltage traction battery can support higher wattage inverters than the 12V battery, 3000W instead of 1000W in the case of the liftback Prius. (This thread in the Prius Gen III section was very helpful.) But I wonder how much of this information about the liftback Prius applies to the Prius C. The liftback Prius has a higher voltage/capacity traction battery (274V compared to our 144V) and a more powerful engine. Does anyone know how large of an inverter the high voltage traction battery can support or recommend one for the Prius C?

The 12V/1000W solution is still an option, but can the 12V battery in the Prius C support a 1000W inverter? I'd ideally like to have the most powerful inverter the Prius C can handle but I am eventually going to take cost into account too.
    Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can offer.