1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

inverter or coolant pump trouble?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TinyBabaganoush, Jun 11, 2014.

1. TinyBabaganoush

TinyBabaganoush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All, 2006 prius with about 105K miles on it. Recently the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights. Battery fan runs non-stop as soon as the car is started and if driven, the gas engine never turns off. When it happened I was circling the neighborhood looking for parking. After about 5 minutes the car dropped out of drive and wouldn't go back in until I shut down and restarted. The battery still charges, and holds a charge when left parked. Anybody want to chime in as to what is most likely the culprit before I bring it in this afternoon? Dealer is 3.5 miles away (about 15 minute drive in Chicago). Am I risking further damage driving it in? Should I call for a tow?

Update : A check of the inverter coolant reservior shows that coolant is flowing. Ripples on the surface.

#1 TinyBabaganoush, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Battery fan on high means that the HV battery is overheating. That can be because either the fan and ducts are clogged with lint, or that there are one or more modules in the battery pack that have failed and will need to be replaced. There are good instructions on PC for getting into that area and cleaning.

You could drive it to the dealer, but that is only if you want to pay full price for a new battery and install. There are other options, like rebuilt, or used from a salvage yard.