1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPad vs "the rest"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pakitt, Feb 9, 2011.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't "get" the iPad until I started using my friends', and now I think they're pretty cool. Apps are generally nicer than on the iPhone, the screen is better for video, the size is better for web browsing and reading, and it's still "instant on" like a the iPhone.

No boot up time like a laptop, so it's more convenient to check email and surf the web quickly.

I don't own one, but thought of getting a gen 2 for the Facetime camera, but I hear they're not going to increase screen resolution, which would be a big letdown.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's only partially true. It only works if people find it useful in some way. Apple first tried to create a notepad device with the Newton and that fell on its face. Remember the Cue Cat? That was heavily marketed and fell flat on its face. I didn't think I'd use the iPad much, but my wife insisted on buying one for my birthday, and I use it pretty much every day now. I don't have a laptop, probably won't get one (I have a desktop Mac for video editing and such, and a work laptop with XP, but I don't use that for personal business). If I want something portable, I use my iPad.

LOL. So you bought into the hype and got the iPhone! You can text, do searches, get the weather on a cheaper, standard non-smart phone as well. Oh, and they work better for actual phone calls :) That's pretty funny.

Very smart. I looked at it in 1997, but wasn't buying individual stocks at the time. Bought some around 2000, then sold it awhile later for a 30% profit after sitting on it through a low spell, thought I did pretty well.... Bought some more this year at $266, sold it at $289, thought I did pretty well... I like your strategy a lot better.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It gets even more convenient when you use a tablet the same size as a reader. Those devices, like Kindle, have already demonstrated it. My Android is that size and fits nicely in my jacket pocket. iPad will obviously come in a smaller format like that too someday. The instant boot, internet access, and the ability to bluetooth connect a battery keyboard when needed is very handy. You can also output video to a big tv.

The next generation will offer improved interfaces and faster processors. Price will drop too. Like with Prius, patience is required.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about something like the Archos 101?
    • $380 (almost 25% less than an ipad. $498)
    • 10 inch screen 1024 x 600 pixels
    • Android operating system.
    • HDMI output. (For watching movies on your TV. Or games, etc.)
    • 16 gig expandable with micro SD cards up to 32 gig
    • 17 oz
    • 10 hours of battery life
    • wi-fi n
    • Fring for free VOIP wi-fi calls
    • Android marketplace

I have an older Archos internet tablet that fits most of my traveling needs. (5 inch screen)
    I haven't seen the 101 in person yet.

5. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I owned 3 generations of the iphone and now the ipad and sold them all ever since i got me EVO4G and now looking into getting a droidpad. Droid wins hands down in my book. But then again different strokes for different folks.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer electronics = all crap.

I don't need any i[CRAPGADGET] marketed-to-the-bread-and-circuses-crowd consumer electronics that will end up in a landfill or worse.

7. wernet

wernet New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a lot of the appeal is for those who normally wouldn't want a laptop - especially those who think they're never going to understand technology. The iPad also offers a real option for those who do a lot of traveling in work.

Looking forward to the new one!

8. seatown7

seatown7 Northwest Prius Dork

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tablets are easier to deal with than laptops when "on the go." I was in court today and during recess I had my choice of 12 magazines and numerous books I'd downloaded plus the local papers and news sites like Pulse. Later, when I got the windows tinted on the Prius, I was able to show the installer usable photos regarding the tint shade I was interested in...much better than my phone would have shown.

I love my iPad, iPod and MacBook...oh...and my Droid.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That point was really drivin home to me a few weeks ago when I was using my 10 inch netbook in economy coach on an a trip. The woman next to me was using an iPad. The difference in easy of use in tight quarters was amazing. I wouldn't even consider a full sized laptop in coach.

If your use is primarily consuming info (reading reports and books, watching videos, etc), then an iPad is ideal. If you do a lot creating involving heavy keyboarding then a laptop or netbook may make more sense.

When I replace my Netbook which will probably be within year I expect the replacement to be a 7 to 10 inch tablet running Android 3.0 or later with a separate rarely used keyboard.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We travel outside the US a lot. The latest 3G capable Kindle has free 3G and EDGE internet connectivity in most countries. The browser is slow, a little awkward to use, but fine for text emails and mobile friendly websites. I've used it in an between several cities in Spain, Portugal and Mexico. It's great for catching up on email when riding between cities. It's clunkier to use than an iphone but the free in most countries email makes it worth it.

One catch is that Amazon doesn't guarantee that it will always be free or even available for web browsing.

11. '10 Prius

'10 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    iPad 2 launching very soon! Very. I can't post links yet, but Google this phrase for the story:

Apple Reportedly Clearing iPad Stock Ahead of iPad 2 Launch

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tablets are great for musicians. They eliminate the need for lugging reams of music scores around. It doesn't require a book light. There's even a Bluetooth device that allows you to turn pages by tapping your foot. And if you perform outdoors you don't have to worry about winds.

On the negative side, if you run out of power in the middle of a concert and don't have hard copies for backup you're screwed! :)

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    iPad event is on 3/2. It's almost 99% certain they will announce an iPad "2".

14. '10 Prius

'10 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Announcement is 3/2/11. You'll see them in stores by early April.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's just rumor. We won't know until they actually say.

For the original iPad, they announced on January 27, 2010 (Apple Launches iPad) yet the first ones didn't become available until April 3rd (iPad Available in US on April 3).

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, iPad 2 came out this morning, as expected. Plenty of coverage at Ipad2 -- Engadget and other places. It'll be available March 11 in the US.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One difference to note between the wi-fi and G3 models of the iPad2: only the G3 has tray for memory cards. I *think* that means a built-in flash memory slot, but time will clarify. Personally, I think such a slot is worth the extra money over the base version all by itself.

The cover is brilliant.
    2.5 watts power drain is brilliant. Use 10 hours every day, spend about $1 in energy a year.

Addendum: Sorry, my error corrected by Cwerda. The slot is for the GSM sim.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huh? You mean the 3G versions and that they have memory card slots? I see no mention of that at Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.. There's a tray for a micro-SIM card but that's for service on GSM networks.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ crap, you are right cwerdna.

The tablet just went from slam dunk buy to "Let me mull it over."
    In other news, Samsung by rumor is going to show off a 10.1 inch galaxy tablet on Sunday.

20. '10 Prius

'10 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The smaller 7" form factor of the current Samsung Galaxy Tab fits nicely in a suit jacket pocket. No doubt, the iPad is very nice for what it does. But then there's all that it will not do. As a mobile professional it's hard to justify the iPad vs. the Galaxy Tab at the moment. For now, I'll sit out these early battles and wait for more competitors to enter the market. Motorola has the Xoom out already (quite expensive!) and then there's Blackberry and Dell. There's already talk of a 3rd gen Apple iPad coming later this year. Two generations of early adapters will be ticked off if their investments are outdated so soon.