1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPad vs "the rest"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pakitt, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can't imagine who would want edit an entire movie on a tablet? Sounds like torture to me also. You can make Internet calls on the IPad and I've edited videos with great success on the iPhone and iPad. I've also used the ability to be on a call and use the web or other apps while on the call quite a bit.

I don't have a problem with the way Apple does business. Some folks want whatever someone says they can't have even though they don't need it, with thousands of apps i haven't wished for anything yet.

Apple released 4 or 5 phones while 6 competitors have released 42 Androids to try and keep up. Op system VS op system across all devices Apple has quite a lead over the others and I've sold all of my old iPhones since the first one for $300-350 and more than paid for the upgrade. As in all free enterprise ventures, the consumer decides what's best or most popular over the long haul.

To each his own and thanks for your thoughtful reply.

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My iPad has become an extension of me. There are people that believe that I take it everywhere. I don't have a waterproof case so it sits on the counter when I'm in the shower but otherwise they are pretty close.

In my car it is my radio (Pandora), my GPS (Maps, MapQuest or GPS Drive)... I also use it to find cheap gas (Gas Buddy).

In my office it is a digital picture frame (Picture Frame from lock screen), radio (Pandora), my calendar (Calendar), newspaper (Newstand)

At home it is my book reader (Nook, Kindle or iBooks), Facebook, Netflix, ABC Player

I use it to show off pictures of my child. I use it to play podcasts. I use it for everything. Quick research of facts. My 9 year old likes to watch movies when we are riding in the car. It used for everything. I run my battery down almost every day.

No other tablet can deliver for me what the iPad 3G can do for me.

3. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Lifeproof keeps teasing a waterproof iPad 2 case but nothing yet. The phone case work well with good reviews.

4. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Lifeproof keeps teasing a waterproof iPad 2 case but nothing yet. The phone case works well with good reviews.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if you would be less opinionated if you actually had a clue.

As for the reasons people buy Android phones, I can count on one thumb the number of owners I have talked with who knew what open source licenses Android is dependent on. The over - riding reason nowadays is that it is a cheap(er) iphone, or that it works with the carrier the person wants.

I meet a lot of people that put their iphones to 'smart' use, taking advantage of the phone's capabilities and app universe. It is much more common for me to find Android users who take very limited advantage of the 'smart' features. Case in point: For the past year I have been asking nurses to take a picture of an LCD screen with telemetry information I want to see, and email the picture to me. Last month was the first time I was not told the person either 1. did not know how to use the camera; or 2, did not know how to email the picture. I know the users were Android phone owners because I asked. From my limited time with Android, I'd say part of the reason the phone was not being used 'smartly' was a non-intuitive interface.

I know I followed Android with great expectations for years up to it's initial release and a couple of generations afterwards, and overall my opinion is 'meh.' Google is no MS; they *will* continue to improve Android and I expect one day to really like it.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a mere $250, from Tiger Direct, I got a Viewsonic 10" G Tablet. That thing rocks. The stock OS sucks, but there are a good number of 3rd party developers that have come up with much better OS's. I am currently running "Roebeets" Mountain Laurel. Works fast, WiFi, and all my apps from my ex phone, The Droid are all on the G tab now! SWEET. Just as versatile as a Ipad, just a third of the price, it does all I want. If I need more there are a number of OS's I can switch to. It's a nice Internet Tablet, and a MUCH better value over the Nook Color. You can get the Barnes and Noble App to read a book, and it's free!

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh please, please clue me in so I'll be less opinionated. Does Apple have a device that sits between the iPad and the iPhone while still maintains the phone function? If so please enlighten me. I can't wait to see what it is. Oh wait, Apple doesn't have one. Just because I'm not an Apple fanboy doesn't mean I'm clueless. I've been following closely on the smartphone industry for the last 6 years especially the iPhone. I have yet to see any Apple products that impressed me. The iphone and ipad cons out weight too much the pros.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, you are simply clueless, Apple hate-boi or not.

Multiple VoIP solutions exist for iPad and iTouch; in fact my wife uses one of them to save her AT&T voice minutes on her iPhone. You may have heard of the underlying tech -- it is from a company called Google.

9. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I make and receive calls from my iPad when needed. The truth of the matter is that unless I'm calling overseas it isn't necessary due to my plan on the iPhone having plenty of minutes. The iPad is fully capable of making/receiving calls.

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So can every other tablets from every other OS. What so special about the iPad? What can it do that no other tablet can do? Sure there are some apps that the iPad can do better but similar apps for other platform are not far behind. Other tablets can trump the iPad on personalizability, customizability, and expandability. Once you bought an iPad 32GB, you're stuck with an iPad 32GB. You'll have to decide about the future right now when buying an iPad today. Is 32GB enough? What happens when I ran out of space? To some people this may not be important but for me It's very important. Many tablets have internal memory that match the Ipad and also includes a MicroSD slot for expandability. iPad is limited to the cloud and streaming once the storage is used up. Competing tablets with MicroSD card slot won't have this problem. I'm a data hoard. I don't delete anything unless I really have to. Imagine Apple released iDSLR 32GB with sealed memory and sealed battery. If there's a way for consumers to upgrade the memory for the iPad, then it might have a chance with me. Some phones such as HTC HD7 uses MicroSD card as internal storage that can be upgraded to 64GB or to whatever the current size of MicroSDXC.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ask 10 iPad owners what speed the CPU runs at, I bet 9 do not know.
    I bet 10 do not care.

Apple products have always sold in part because of a total experience unrelated to specs that some people get and appreciate, some get and do not like, while most detractors like cpraudio cannot see at all, since it is not in a spec and features list.

Here is the thing, cpraudio: I *enjoy* using the iPad, and a lot of the time I cannot really put my finger on why. Feel free to translate that into MIPS.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. It's about a lot more than features and specs which it. A lot of companies just implement features for the sake of marketing bullet point but fail to make it easy to use and access, ensure that works well, and that the overall end to end user experience is good. An example would be Facetime that began on iPhone 4. While I'll admit I don't use it much myself, it was SUPER easy to use it to Facetime w/my friends also w/iPhone 4s. There was no need to create accounts, passwords, sign in anywhere, etc. Both parties were just at home and just could tap Facetime to switch to that type of call or initiate the call as Facetime call.

Sure video chat has existed for ages and even on some other smartphones but nobody else made it as easy on a phone.

I don't know the clock speed of my iPad 2 off the top of my head either. I'd have to look it up.

Anyways, back to the Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire: The Good, The Bad and The Indifferent [META REVIEW] has a bunch of links to more reviews and a summary of what each said.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_...-can-it-fight-the-fire/?tag=mncol;editorPicks has a quick look at the Nook Tablet, which I've paid almost no attention to.

It will be very interesting to see if enough people feel these what cheap tablets provide and lack is "good enough".

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Every tablet has its strengths and its flaws. Each user has to choose which flaws they can live with the easiest, all things considered.

I hate iTunes with a passion, but I chose to tolerate it.

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, you have a tablet (It doesn't really matter what)... how much memory do you really need? 32 GB will hold enough movies, TV shows, music, books, games, and other media to last me several weeks... And I haven't been away from my computer for longer than 2 weeks for a decade. Even if that does run out, the ability to delete that media and purchase more where ever there is a wifi or 3G signal makes it pointless to worry about - there are really only two times i'm not in range of some sort of wireless signal the iPad can pick up on - when I'm flying (and sometimes even then) and when I'm camping. Since the longest flight I can think of can't possibly exhaust an iPad's memory and I don't take anything more high-tech than a flashlight when I go camping, that's not going to be a problem for me.

How are you treating your tablets that you run out of space? Loading movies on it and never taking them off, even after you've watched them a dozen times and are sick of them? 32GB is plenty for what most people will actually use a tablet for.

Besides, it's not like you're stuck with it forever... a few years down the line, most people will start thinking about buying a new one to get all the cool new features and improved performance - the same reason people buy new smartphones or computers every few years.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    cpraudio's OS of choice is windows mobile LOL. 'nuff said

17. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I stop using WM when MS stopped releasing WM6.5.5 builds. I loaded up Android on my WM til I renewed my contract and got a real Android. I find it to have somewhat of an iphoneistic operation except more customizable and also has most of the WM hidden features like the ability to tether for free without rooting or clockworkmod recovery with custom ROM and the ability to choose which network to lock onto either GSM or 3G network without rooting or CWMR. I didn't like the keyboard it came with so I loaded up my favorite TouchPal keyboard. I've using that since WM days. I'm glad that Android can send and receive any type of files over bluetooth natively without rooting or special apps. I use that all the time with my WM sharing music and pictures. I asked a friend with an iphone 4S that if he has a song on his 4S that I like can he send that song to my phone using bluetooth. I'm not sure he doesn't know how or just being stingy but he said no.
    One thing I miss is the AVRCP 1.3 on my WM. Rocking the BT audio streaming with IDTag on the display for over a year since the moment I drove my Prius off the lot. I thought this was standard on all phones. Then I learned that all iPhones got stuck with AVRCP 1.0 with no ID tags until iOS5 a month ago. Some Androids have it but a lot of Androids don't. Good thing I can pair the Phone BT with my Android and audio BT with my WM.
    A lot of my music are either lossless or 320kbps so each song is between 10-40MB. I load up TV shows by the season so each season is between 3 and 10 GB. I have a couple of 1080P IMAX 3D film at 4GB each. My 32GB is already full. I'm starting to use the 8GB internal storage which only has 5.7GB of space I can use. Only 4GB free now. Rest are used for system files.
    I don't have a tablet and not planning on getting one yet. I'll wait til my current 2 month old contract ends. Maybe by that time pocketable tablet phones such as the Galaxy Note and the Dell Streak5 will be more mainstream. If Shaq wants a phone that fits his hand, ZTE's Light Tab 2 fits him nicely.
    I went to bestbuy the other day and saw the Galaxy play 4.0, 5.0 and Tab7 All 3 of these have speaker grill for earpiece. Does anyone know if they're functional earpiece?

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's rather funny when you talk about the difference between iPad sales and all other tablets combined... the iPad accounts for 90% of the market!

19. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know 17 people that have tablets and only two of them are not iPads. The two people that have other tablets are 'Apple-haters'. Don't think they'd accept an iPad if you gave it to them, silly... Come on, throw in the towel, people!!! Don't hate the playa, hate the game, YO!!!