1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone4 connection problem with 2010 Nav system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SD LOCAL, May 24, 2011.

1. SD LOCAL

SD LOCAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just got a Verizon iPhone4 a little over a week ago. Paired the bluetooth phone and audio with no problems to my 2010 Nav system. Worked great for a couple days, but then I get in the car to go to work one morning, and the bluetooth won't connect either the phone or audio. The only way to fix it was to completely delete the car from the iPhone and iPhone from the car and start over. Then it worked fine again for a couple of days, and then did the exact same thing again not connecting one day. Deleted and re-started to fix, worked for a day or so, then again today it wouldn't connect when I went out to lunch.

Wouldn't mind if it were just a matter of turning the system on and off to reset, but that's not the case, it won't connect no matter how many times I just turn it on and off. Very frustrating and annoying to have to keep deleting and re-starting.

Has anyone else had this problem or can you help me figure out what's going on?

2. mobyhead

mobyhead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My AT&T iPhone 4 works flawlessly with my 2011 Prius Nav system, both phone and music. Maybe there is something particular about the Verizon iPhone 4 that makes it troublesome?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a 3rd gen so I can't give a useful comment. When you hit this, just for kicks, have you tried rebooting the VZ iPhone 4 or turning Bluetooth on the phone side off then back on?

4. SD LOCAL

SD LOCAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Pretty sure I tried turning the bluetooth on and off from the phone also with no luck, but have not tried rebooting the phone. Will try that next. Thank you for the suggestion.

5. SD LOCAL

SD LOCAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hard to say at this point. I would think they'd both work the same way.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's unclear to me.

iPhone 4 Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit shows the GSM version containing a "Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG 802.11n with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and FM receiver.

iPhone 4 Verizon Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit shows "RS KMOD16104 - The logo on this package appears to be that of Murata's. We suspect that this contains the Broadcom BCM4329 that reportedly provides Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity."

New iPhone Carries $171.85 Bill of Materials, IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals says:
    It's unclear to me how close the Murata module is from the BCM4329. It's unknown if anything has been revised, if there is a different driver for the two, if there's different code/logic needed to interface with the two and/or to workaround the quirks/behavior/bugs of each.

If you aren't on the latest iOS version, it might be worth a shot to upgrade. No guarantees that anything BT related is fixed though... For the VZ (CDMA) iPhone 4, I believe it's http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1373 (whereas it's http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1358 for the GSM versions).

7. DCAJr

DCAJr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had a similar issue since Feb. with a Samsung Omnia 2, mine is related to a corporate security initiative that added "device encryption" to smartphones as an additional security measure. It is a non-optional deal for me as I need access to corp. email. Every time I get to my car I must delete the phone from the Nav and then delete the Nav reference from the phone and start over..a real pain.

8. graydog01

graydog01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :der:I am having the exact same problem! (ipone 4 with a 2010 prius) It is so very frustrating as I am in the car alot for work. I have been back to the dealer and eventually they seem to get it connected but the next day it goes out again. The fourth time they said contact Apple. There doesn't seem to be any help for this and I am ready to return my phone. Please any help will be greatly appreciated!

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AT&T iPhone 4 + Nav system works great. Now and then it doesn't connect, but that's usually after I've been poking around

10. Sofakingcopter

Sofakingcopter New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no issues with my AT&T iphone 4 and iPad connecting to the bluetooth and using USB.

11. rhedin

rhedin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a III and a Verizon Iphone 4. I had problems too until the most recent IOS update. Now it works great. Try it, and good luck!

12. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had a somewhat similar problem with ATT and wife's and my iPhone 4's. With both paired to the phone and audio Bluetooth's, the audio would not work. By unpairing (audio in) mine, her audio Bluetooth works just fine.

Do you have more than one phone paired? If so, are they both iPhone 4's?