1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod Album Art on 2012 Prius Two Display Audio?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by foscho, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Speaking only from personal experience, I have a 1st-gen iPod Touch that lived in the glove box of my 2005 Prius for the last 4 years. It's now in the center console of my new 2012, and it's still going strong. I don't know if it would hold a charge if not plugged in, but I don't really care because I don't use it other than in the car.

2. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a limit as to how many song/list your iPod will display on the HU when connected via the usb?

3. kyle5434

kyle5434 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There doesn't appear to be any limit. I have 130 GB worth of MP3 files, and the listing by artist lets me scroll all the way through.

NOTE: If you haven't turned the car off, it will remember where you were in the artist list when you touch the "go back" button on the HU display while listening to your current artist. If you turn the car off, it will pick up the place in the song where it left off when you turned off the car, but if you go back to the artist list, it will start at the beginning of the list.

However, holding down the up/down scroll buttons for the artist list (or song list, etc.) on the HU display will fast scroll through the list, so you can get 100 artists up/down the list pretty quickly. There's a little elevator car indicator as you fast scroll that shows where you are in relation to the entire list.

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never heard anyone get album art from anything but an iPod via usb before. I personally tried my own Android with the stock player and with several other players and couldn't get any of them to show album art via bluetooth. How did you get this done?

5. foscho

foscho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's great! Are you getting album art to display streamed via Bluetooth from your iPhone 4s, or is it plugged in USB style? I think that has the new Bluetooth 4.0 tech, and mine, being only the iPhone 4 has 2.1+EDR, and I get no album art wirelessly.

I looked up the Droid X and X2 specs, and both seem to only have the Bluetooth 2.1+EDR tech, so it's interesting that you are able to get wireless album art. Maybe it has to do with the phone itself, and not the Bluetooth tech, as it doesn't appear to work across all Android devices.

Hank, I whole-heartedly second getting an iPod Classic dedicated to your Prius music library, run through the USB port. It is integrated into the 2012 Prius seamlessly, and you can just leave it in your center console and forget about it! Unfortunately, I have no advice for getting the USB stick to work smoothly.

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone ever try an iPod shuffle with their Prius?

7. smurs

smurs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am able to get album artwork over both my BT connection and USB (iPhone 4S on ATT with no tethering plan, prius IV, 2012, nav with audio, NOT the premium nav). My Nav software version is:1.7.4 if that helps (found that in settings/general I think).

My problem is that only about half of my music library displays the album art. Any ideas as to why? I know some of these are the stock apple/iTunes covers, and some I added after the fact. Perhaps it only displays certain pixel dimensions?? If I knew what they were, I'd clean up my album art so they all display.

8. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am using a 160gig "classic" /video ipod (newest model) I just got a couple of weeks ago. I can easily get album art to show up, but the ipod will randomly crash and reset every so often when it is sending the album image to the head unit. I've tried different size album art on my tracks, but nothing has helped so far.

Anyone else experience this or know of a work-a-round?

Also, I took the ipod to an apple store and had someone look at it, but had absolutely nothing useful to say about the problem.

9. Joe Gherlone

Joe Gherlone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone tried to run the Podcast app via the Display Audio system, since Apple has now separated it out from the Music app?? Is it possible to switch back and forth?? I am an NFL junkie, and listen to several football podcasts daily & it would be helpful to be able to shift back and forth.