1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IRS rejected my $2500 PIP credit.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by kong_konger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. kong_konger

kong_konger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just checked IRS "where is my fund". IRS rejected my $2500 PIP credit. I have to wait the paper notice and find out the reason.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. kong_konger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure the reason. I will update the information when I receive the notice.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was just informed by my accountant that her tax program didn't have the IRS form (I gave her the number of the form that this site provided) so she "fudged" the necessary information. She said I could receive a letter from the IRS if they reject it. Not good since no-one likes the attention of the IRS.

Please let us know what the reasoning is when you receive your letter.

Oh, and ironic thing about this is that just last night I watched some kinda expose program on how criminals are now stealing I.D's and sending in a fraudulent refund request. The IRS gave out over 5 BILLION last year to fraudelent filers. And they interviewed the real owners of the I.D. and they told of the hell they had to go through to fix it. Yet the IRS can put the hooks into legitimate filers.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked, my return is still being processed.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that was me...

[I e-filed w/TurboTax on 3/9] Ok just checked my status this morning Sat 3/30- approved!

But THEY DEDUCTED THE EXPECTED $2500 CREDIT FOR THE PIP! FROM MY REFUND :mad:
    They gave me a number to call M-F. I am soo pissed right now!!!!

Just double checked the form 8936 I filed- no errors- even walked it out to the PIP to verify the VIN- all good. Checked again with TurboTax- no errors!

Wth?

When I call the IRS on Monday- I'm supposed to mention error code "9021".
    When I look up the error code 9021 on the notice I get:
    "9021" Reference Code for all math error conditions Analyze account and follow appropriate IRM

9. kong_konger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I filed tax through paper format. I got same information as yours this morning.
    IRS reduced amount of $2500 from my refund.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With the current credit, this is not supposed to be a problem. The one a couple of years ago, yes, the AMT would kill it.

Anyway, I got the refund including the $2500 credit in my checking account. (I am subject to AMT, for what it's worth.) I don't know which professional software package my tax preparer used for the e-file.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, but some other people on other sites were denied or received a reduced amount and they were told amt by the IRS. Some are fighting it this year and others who had to fight the previous year eventually got it. I was a matter of untrained people now knowing it should be unaffected by amt.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm off the phone- the IRS phone agent couldn't help- he doesn't know why the credit wasn't issued. He originally thought to have me submit the older form 8834 (for vehicles purchased before 2012) but then seeing the model year and date of purchase (10/2012) of my PIP he agreed that form 8936 was the correct form. He then asked about the battery capacity, weight of vehicle, type; plug in electric, etc... but in the end - still couldn't understand the problem.

He said I'll have to wait the 2-3 weeks for a snail mail letter from the IRS to arrive explaining what I have to do in order to get the credit. He suspects the letter may ask me to send in a copy of the bill of sale for the PIP along w/a copy of form 8936 that I have already submitted. I would then get a separate check for $2500 after 4-6 weeks. So, we're looking at possibly 9 weeks to resolve this situation :mad: maybe.....

JMD likes this.
  13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering where all those sub-prime mortgage brokers and processors went to work after the mortgage industry collapsed. I guess it's better than off-shoring the IRS help line to an Indian call center, maybe.

Totmacher likes this.
  14. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    no issues for me

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you e-file or paper file?
    Did you actually get you refund yet?
    Was your refund for the full amount including your PIP $2500 credit?
    Did you file any additional forms for the PIP other than form 8936?

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The questions weren't directed at me, but since I had no issues either, I will answer as well.
    1. e-filed
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. not directly, but my CPA split the credit between business and personal use, and filed the AMT form, which didn't change anything.
    I think some of the tax programs messed up on the special forms for things like plug-in hybrids, based on posts I've read here.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting- thanks!
    Trying to narrow down the situation that caused the problem for me, and apparently others.
    I did not file the AMT form with my 1040 and 8936.
    I went over my form 8936 with the IRS phone agent this morning- there were no errors on it, but perhaps there is another form that needs to be submitted along when usingform 8936.

18. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went through my paper copy of the return, and couldn't find any other forms related to 8936. On line 53 of the 1040 it says "Other credits from Form"----. My CPA checked box c and put 8936. Did your program do that? He also checked box a for Form 3800, which is general business credit. But I don't think that would have anything to do with your problem.

19. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was one of those people who had a tax return filed for me fraudulently. The thieves filed using my name, soc sec # and had me filed jointly with some other person (not anyone I know, ie not my husband... I am not married!) and used an address was out east of here in a town called Homeland... when I google-earthed it, it looks like a freaking junkyard ... anyway, I reported it to the police in my town, what else can you do? Funny thing is, these creeps cannot be that hard to catch. We know what mailbox they are stalking to get a refund that's NEVER coming... so it's either someone in cahoots with the PO personnel or, someone stalking that mailbox out there in Homeland, CA.

Blu-ray likes this.
  20. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear you are a victim of fraud, Dianne. I've heard and read about it, but you are the first person I know who has been subject to this scam. You probably ought to put a freeze on your credit report with all three agencies if you haven't already done so. Hope they catch the :censored: that did this to you.:mad: