1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a CPO prius supposed to come with 2 smartkeys?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Dec 24, 2013.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My family is buying a CPO Prius but the salesperson says it only comes with one smart key which they had to make. I always thought CPO cars were supposed to come with 2 smart keys?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's up to the dealer. You could check with Toyota directly, but I doubt they promise 2 keys. OTOH, you could have insisted on a second key as a condition of the purchase.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can tell you this much.
    A new Prius comes with two smart keys.

If the dealership is "making" you one? That would suggest to me the keys were lost.

Replacement can be difficult and expensive. Before you purchase you have some leverage. I'd insist that whether they are making you a new key or not? They give you "two" as if you were buying a new Prius. As a certified pre-owned Prius, That you are buying from a Toyota dealership, I would have that expectation.

If you were buying this off any other dealership lot, or just a used car lot, you get what you get. But in your case, I'd want and expect a "set" of keys, as in two.

cwerdna, xliderider and macmaster05 like this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the responses. Let me ask you this, assuming they DON'T give us a second key what do you think of this car:

Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Prius IV, 64,000 miles
    -Leather, solar roof, 7" nav, SOS, etc etc. (everything except the 17" alloys and fog lamps)
    -New Goodyear tires
    -Good (not great) condition
    $15991 + TTL (~18k OTD)

Dealer took off $1000 (was originally 16991) when the 2006 Prius we originally wanted to buy got sold 20 minutes before we signed the deal.

Test drive was fine. Everything seems to check out except this smartkey issue. My parents could go either way with the purchase. They're not thrilled but recognize its a good deal. Would be our 3rd Prius.

Thanks....

5. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its a fairly high end model, and you are always going to pay top dollar for a used Prius. With the caveat that I do not know the market, it sounds like a reasonable deal

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a good (not great) deal....depending on what the "~' before 18K means and whether or not 18K really is an OTD price.
    MY definition of OTD means Tax, title, tags, and the first tank of gas, and for a "so called" CPO car?
    That means that it is functionally a new car, and THAT means that they give you two fobs.
    Period.

You have the money (unless you're borrowing.)
    They have the car.
    The sale will only happen if you sign papers....

Your call.

Good Luck.
    Merry Christmas!

7. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Two keys or you walk. Check out how much it cost for replacements if you don't have any key.

9. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And don't let the dealer try to split the cost with you. Let them know they don't have the last Prius for sale.

10. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 CPO IV only came with one. :( I tried to fight for two, but a guarantee of only one was specifically laid out in the contract, so no dice. I wish I fought harder for two.

11. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ps. My CPO 2010 IV with a solar roof, leather, nav, etc. was $20,400 with 38,700k miles last month. Maybe you can talk them down a grand or so on the price since it has so many more miles and is the end of the year.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the answers guys! Just FYI they are not coming down on price anymore. They already took $1000 off. They bought the car from the owner for $14500 and between all the stuff they had to fix and paying the salesperson, they said something about them making only $3 on the car. Basically $15991 is like the wholesale price.

Still, good advice on the 2 keys or walk. That's what we're planning to do.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah: Certified Pre-Owned.

Guess I'm easily stumped. ;)

My 2 cents: any Prius should come with 2 fully functional keys.

14. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)If you don't get the second key with the car purchase, you'll need to purchase one promptly. Wouldn't want to be stuck some where without access to a key. I purchased a used MB that came with only one key fob. The replacement cost was $300, but worth it to have a spare.

15. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My '10 Prius II, CPO with 41,000 came with two smart keys, bought in Oct '12 for $19500 OTD and the salesman followed me 70 miles to my home and I wrote him a check. They were asking $19900 plus TTL.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    getting a second key is tantamount to further discount. the only difference is, thier cost is lower than yours, so it's not a dollar to dollar match. i would at least ask for a 50% discount and either way, not leave without two keys. it's too much trouble and expense if you lose your only key. all the best to your family!(y)

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah...the old-" We're barely making any money on this deal"- spiel.

Listen, what THEY supposedly paid for the vehicle, and what THEY supposedly have fixed or invested into it? Shouldn't really matter from the perspective of your end deal.

If THEY paid too much for the vehicle, or discovered after taking it in that it needed more repair than THEY thought? That's THEIR problem.

They spent their money on it...now you're considering spending YOURS.

I've heard similar...We're barely making a profit on this deal, it's a wholesale price...blah, blah, blah...from almost every dealership and deal I've ever made, used or new.

Basically I ignore it all. I want to make the best deal for myself. I don't care if my deal is so good for myself that the dealership is brought to bankruptcy. I assume all parties involved are working in their best interest. They're making a profit, regardless of what they say, and I have to try to make sure my deal is at least "fair".

cwerdna and ftl like this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fifty bucks never killed anybody.

19. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, I wish I could find a dealer that stupid near me. The most I was offered for my 2010 was $11,400 on a trade. Trust me .... They paid NOWHERE NEAR $14,500 for that car. More like $12,500 tops. Don't believe everything a car dealer tells you. About the key fobs .... Not 2 key fobs included .... No deal ... See ya.

How could a car that sold for about $16,000 end up being $18,000 OTD ?

IMO, you could easily get a much better deal elsewhere. Used Prii don't hold their value anywhere near like they used to. Too many on the market, too many other quality near-40 mpg cars, and zero percent financing and discounts on new ones. You could probably get a new 2013 with less equipment for very close to what your payments will be on the one you're looking at. And I'd go that route every time.

REV

20. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My used 2010 only had one key, dealer gave a ticket to take to a key making place at the local mall to get the second one made, they said they were less expensive then through their own parts counter, looks identical and works fine.