1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to blackout tail lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Prius_Boriqua, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Prius_Boriqua

Prius_Boriqua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let me clear this up. I don't mean solid black tail lights. I just want to paint the chrome out of it like we do with the headlights. I still want them to do what their supposed to do. I just did my headlights with the oven bake, tear apart, mask, paint, oven bake method. Id like to make them match. I searched the hell out of google and Prius chat and all I get are hits for tints or replacements.

Thanks

2. Johnsk93

Johnsk93 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good Question I am also looking into this as well

3. munkeeboi

munkeeboi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's possible but you have to cut open the plastic and reglue it together to seal it. The lens is fused together with the back housing and doesn't have the glue that can be reheated like the headlights. I did them before with my old IS so it's possible, but you will definitely have a higher likelihood of breaking them during the process or having tail lights that leak everytime it rains or you get a carwash.

Prius_Boriqua likes this.
  4. Prius_Boriqua

Prius_Boriqua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks munkeeboi. That's the type of explanation I was hoping to get. I guess Ill do the safer option of getting a soft tint on them.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Soft tint will work well, I had it for a while until a replaced them with SB Valenti's