1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth it getting a second key fob before selling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ashyukun, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius that I picked up a few weeks back for a song- and it wasn't without its issues. The biggest being a truly atrocious interior that a $150 detail wiped away in a day and a small host of minor things I've been slowly fixing. I'm going to be using the car as a 'loaner' for my wife to drive while I take care of some suspension work on her car, and then looking to sell the Prius.

But, one of the issues it has is that it only came with one key fob- and that one is pretty badly worn (not wholly surprising given the car has over 260k on it...). The car does have the SmartKey setup, and it works just fine with the fob. It seems a new fob that can be linked to the car for full SKS functionality will be around $150- but obviously the more that I spend on things that aren't 'necessary' the less I make when I sell it.

So, I need to figure out whether having only one key fob is going to be something that is going to turn people away and whether spending the extra $150 will likely be worth it in the end to be able to get a better price for it.

What experience have those of you here had regarding this? Do you think the second fob is worth the money?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends what's the condition and asking price of the car. At 260k miles and atrocious condition, it may not be worth while to spend $120-$150 as you won't get that money back.

3. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not like new by any stretch of course, but I have been fixing all the issues with it that I can and will be getting it looking as close to new as I can before selling it. The interior detailing helped infinitely- I have been taking pictures of it along the way and you can see the before and after of the interior: Prius Flip Photos by Ashyukun | Photobucket

I'm hoping to be able to get around $4500 or so for it.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you bought it with only one fob...and that was before fixing some of the issues it came with.

If the question is would having two fobs as opposed to only one be a significant factor in any resale situation? I have to say no. Most people are buying the car...not the fob situation.

Unless you can get a 2nd fob really, really cheap...or simply want one? I'd leave the purchasing of a second fob up to the NEXT owner. If someone wants the vehicle? I sincerely doubt you would lose the sale, based on the fact that you only have one fob.

I think you have to be honest with any potential buyer about having only one fob...but I don't necessarily think you NEED two fobs to sell the vehicle, nor at that age and mileage do I think having two would change the value of the vehicle.

PS.
    In negotiating a sale, if the reaction you got with any potential buyer was that it was an issue? You can always adapt to the moment. Admitting it only comes with one fob, and then IF the person seemed to be balking because of that singular issue? You could always THEN agree to knock some off the purchase price. A sale is a fluid situation.

My guess is most people will be more focused on the vehicle they are purchasing as opposed to the fact that it may only have one fob.

5. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well... looking back, I believe roughly half the cars I've bought in my life have been inoperable when I got them, so I'm likely not a particularly good reference for what buyers will do. ;)

I'll definitely be honest with potential buyers about the fob- and everything else with the car.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I would also add this.

Separately I think having two fobs with a Prius is a good idea for any owner.

So a lot would depend on how long you plan to keep it...or how quickly you plan to turn it around.

If you are going to be keeping this Prius for any significant length of time, I think I would want a "back-up" Fob. If you plan to fix and flip? I wouldn't necessarily invest into a second fob.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can get a new fob for about $110 from an online Toyota parts dealer. Then you can program it using the chicken dance in the sticky section of the Gen II Main Forum. I would get it if I could.

8. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I saw the backseat of your 'before' car in an episode of forensic files....

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be great for the new owner to get two fobs, even though they might not comprehend the value. if not, your mentioning the need for a second fob would be a nice gesture on your part.

10. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost every used car dealer sells cars with only 1 fob. (dealers and wholesale auctions keep the other fobs and sell them on Ebay)
    Most buyers don't think of asking for 2nd fob.
    If the buyer wants a 2nd fob tell them if they buy the new fob online you'll program it for free.
    $4500 will be a tough sell for car with 260k miles, (and gas under $3/gallon) unless hybrid battery has been replaced and engine doesn't burn oil but most drink oil at that age...

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree $4500 would be a tough sell with 260k on the odometer. I was once offered to buy a 2005 with 240k with a bad hv battery for $2500. Although the car was in pretty good shape, I still passed on it because of the 240k. Anything can break down, costing possibly thousands to repair at that mileage.

12. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll see what happens... even if I were to get a new fob for it I would still have a lot less than that in the car so have plenty of wiggle-room if there just isn't any interest at that price. Its battery seems to be in good shape, but unfortunately I cannot say whether or not it has been replaced.