1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is offering services as a "Prius Handyman" a good idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteamPowered, Mar 7, 2012.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be nice, but there is no such thing. Manufacturers have their own hybrid certification, for technicians already on their payroll. ASE does not have a certification program. ACDC offers Up Your Voltage for $3600 in a week-long class, about the closest thing to a hybrid certification class, but again, this is not a nationally recognized certification.

2. SteamPowered

SteamPowered Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alot of good points here, thanks.

Definitely would not mark up parts and would provide receipts for them. Most stuff would be directly from Amazon anyways.

I would love to do a few odd jobs in the community but I guess it sounds like there is too much legal blowback. I have full-time work and many responsibilities. I think I will hold off from the handyman idea for now.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might want to talk to your state's DMV or whatever state agency is responsible for regulating auto-repair businesses. If they are responsible humans they should be willing to let you know some of the key requirements and liabilities. Car dealers here are held responsible for cars and have to have insurance and a bond and you might find something similar for car repair businesses.

After talking to them, you might find that you can do at-cost or bartered work without legal liability and that could help you gain more experience and build up a network of potential clients so that when you're ready to commit to doing it professionally you have a viable business.

The Prius needs more independent technicians. I hope you don't give up on the idea.