1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Ottonavi the only head unit to consider?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by deore, Mar 14, 2014.

1. deore

deore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, I just recently bought a '2010 model II Prius and decided I'm going to ditch the original radio to give the car a bit more modern feel.

I'm looking for a new unit that looks as stock as possible, has a 7"+ touch screen, navigation and a back up camera. So now the question is just which head unit to get? I live in Finland so I can consider only what I can get shipped here.

Looks like many at Priuschat have gone with Ottonavi. It looks ok to me but Windows CE 6.0 sounds really antique. If you look at what eBay has to offer, is there a chance one of units running Android 4.0 would be any good? Looks like those have capacitive screens as well.

Will value any help I get :)

2. deore

deore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No replies yet, but I'll bump this just once since I'm about to pull the trigger on Ottonavi..
    Those of you who have bought a new head unit, do you feel like that's the best choice on the market? Is there a decent Android alternative?

I actually found one semi interesting Android device on eBay but judging by the pictures it appears to have only blue backlight for the buttons. That'd be a dealbreaker since I'm really going for a OEM look and that means green backlight is a must.

3. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Im waiting for any airplay compatible ones from Apple or whomever they partner with. I'm not a big fan of the current system (I too have a Prius two) and it's rather lackluster. I'm gonna put in my Ipad Air with a cd tray tablet holder and call it complete.

4. deore

deore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Airplay'd certainly be nice, but maybe that's a bit too much to wish for? Maybe if you're happy with a generic HU that's installed to a Prius with shrouds you can have Airplay, but I think it's unlikely these Prius-customized units would support it any day soon. Looks like the customized units run a couple generations behind in technology. A2DP will have to do for the time being.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    deore likes this.
  6. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Yes on A2DP. I bought this bluetooth module that works great for the car. The only thing I need to figure out is how to run the lines around to a good spot since the cable isn't quite long enough to reach to the console box. I'll just use my iPad for now to make it "like" airplay.

7. deore

deore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, that Alpine actually looks pretty sweet. The price can however be an issue. Sourced locally the head unit seems to sell at 1350 euros plus the installation parts 200 euros would be over 1500 euros for the whole set. eBay could maybe shave a couple hundred off that but it's still easily over 1000 euros. Ottonavi I can get for less than 500 incl. shipping and taxes (everything imported here from outside EU is liable to 24% VAT, what's sick is you also have to pay VAT for the shipping costs).

Nice upgrades on your car. Looks like it took lots of work :)

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, no regrets. I wanted uncompromising sound with the factory look. Most any 2-DIN head units can be used with the Toyota Trim piece #55406-47080 and a small amount of filler for your car.