1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius really this uncool?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mikenancy1, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mikenancy1

mikenancy1 2012 PiP (Base), '10 Highlander Hybrid, '05 Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My teenage son inherited my 05 Prius when I bought a '12 PiP, and hasn't been enthusiastic about it at all (though he admits he likes the idea that he spends less on gas than his friends). He just texted me this photo with the caption "My Life!" Maybe it's because I'm a practical guy in his 50's, but is Prius widely considered totally uncool in younger circles? Attachment-1.jpeg

Attached Files:

hybridbear likes this.
  2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In my experience, anyone having a vehicle is far cooler than anyone who does not have a vehicle.

mypriuscious, Rebound and kenichols29 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you really need to ask?

4. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    When you are a kid, you want a car that turns heads (in a good way)
    Obviously a Prius was not designed to get chix.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Becoming an adult means growing out of that. Which sadly, some never actually do.

By the way, my Prius helped me get my chick... ironically, the same way as in the photo above, but with a different message.

My exclamation of love to her on our first Valentine's Day was telling the world via a decal on back. Now, she's my fiancée and we're planning a nice wedding for next summer. And yes, the decal is still there.

6. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, it's probablly uncool to own one if you're part the the younger set. Those here who care... raise your hands. ;)

7. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is cool about the prius that a teenager with a car that can turn heads doesn't have that they wish they could have, its ability pull up in the driveway past curfew time or anywhere else unnoticed, put that thing in EV mode turn off the light and you got your self a ninja Prius, even better if its black...HOWEVER the only drawback is get in the house unnoticed and that's a skill a teenager cant seem to master.

#7 A617, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    hybridbear likes this.
  8. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I was in high school in the 1960s, the quarterback on the football team drove a pink Edsel. The car wasn't cool, but the driver made it cool.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Truth is, the Prius in not a "cool" car among the younger male set, but it will build character and verbal defense skills (maybe even some physical ones too). He'll get over it and likely hand over something to his son he doesn't want either. Something about wisdom and age..."usually".

F8L likes this.
  10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We all know he should be thankful just for having a car and one he can better afford, but if it wasn't his choice, or at least a joint decision, then I'm afraid I'm on his side. My parents forced me to by a 1958 Beetle in 1965, before they were "cool" (and even then I wouldn't have wanted it, they've never been cool to me). Fortunately, the thing lasted only 90 days to the day before the engine gave way. The dealer did let me trade it at a $50 loss for the 1959 Impala I had wanted. I did have some fun in the Beetle while I had and none of my friends ever said anything negative about it, but it just wasn't me at the time. Now, almost 50 years later, my 75 year old brother-in-law, who still lives in the early 1950's (Oldsmobile), thinks I'm nuts for buying a Prius. I just laugh and challenge him to match gas bills with his Chrysler 300 Hemi.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a boy named sue...

Snow, situationalawareness and F8L like this.
  12. Hmctn

Hmctn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will be cool when his friends are struggling to pay for gas in their cars and he isn't. My teenage daughter wants one now that she has driven mine and ridden in her friends prius c.

13. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Text him back a picture of a bicycle and say "Your new life!"

I was given my parents' old minivan when I was in high school and I was grateful for the car. It was nowhere near as sexy as some of the cars my classmates had but I had fun driving it.

14. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Heck, when I was in school my parents made me buy my own. Doing that, I got what I considered cool! A used 1980s ford ranger... Yeah... Stylin. (/sarcasm)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They usually stop laughing when I tell them how much I save on fuel.

16. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm, my friends usually say "BUT CAN IT CRUSH CARS" then keep laughing (majority of them drive trucks). However, I do have the last laugh when they pull up to gas stations.

17. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have to ask them if they paid extra for their trucks natural tendency to pull to the right, approaching every gas station.

SageBrush likes this.
  18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your son inherited a Prius and is less than happy? Tough. Take it off him and let him buy his own cooler car if he's that bothered. I don't know the guy but I'm hoping he's not bordering on spoilt?

A second class ride is always better than a first class walk.

19. CreigMac

CreigMac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Grumpy Cat makes everything 2014-10-20 15.55.57.png cool...

Fred_H likes this.
  20. euhysh

euhysh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lol, yes I would agree, Prius is not a cool car in those teenage years. I'd say it's pretty normal for him to behave that way...especially when you see other kids driving and modding those Scions, Hondas and modern muscle cars and trucks....and the older used ones are probably cheaper than your son's Prius. But they don't see that haha.

I remember back in the days in mid 90's when I was in high school (I'm 36 now), when modded Civics and Integras were the rage. My dad bought me a KIA Sportage and I was actually teased by chicks! (It looked completely foreign when it was first introduced to states)

Of course I complained to my parents, that's what teenagers do....but I was still thankful to have a car. I worked my nice person off to buy myself something I liked. Actually made me a better person.

F8L and situationalawareness like this.