1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is The 2010 Prius Comfortable For Very Tall Drivers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StevieB, Jun 23, 2009.

1. StevieB

StevieB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife is getting a 2010 Prius 4 Solar Sunroof/Navigation in a few weeks.

I am 6'6" and will ride in the passenger seat about half the time and be the driver about half the time in her new Prius.

I've sat in the Prius and been on a short test drive.

The telescoping/ adjustable steering wheel enables me to sit OK in the car and the lumbar support on the drivers seat seems to add some support.

My question is will I be comfortable in the car on longer drives (particularly as a passenger without the lumbar support?)

My reference point for comfortable seats is my wifes' current car, an Infiniti FX35, and my Infiniti M35.

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm not your height, but I am 6'2". However I've found that a lot of tall people are all legs (my son is 6'5"). It's amazing the difference when I see someone tall trying to fit their legs into a car I think is roomy.

Here's the issues I see for you.

1) I had an FX45. They are not roomy for "wide" people, the seats are tight. I think the Prius has more room in that respect. However the Prius seats are not nearly as adjustable. Especially on the passenger side. My biggest gripe on the passenger side is not having the ability to tilt the seat cusion. On a long trip I at times (as a passenger) like to lean the seat back. To be comfortable I need to raise the front of the seat cusion to keep from slipping forward as I lean back. With your long legs you probably need to do that anyway to have support. Without the adjustable seat on the passenger side you lose a lot of comfort that your Infiniti's offer.

2) The "M" is a full size sedan. I don't think you'll find too many cars as comfortable. However you may find some acceptable. Before I bought my HH I looked at the M35x as an alternative. For the driver both were great, for the passenger the M wins.

I'm sure at your size you have compromised somewhat on comfort over the years. Now that you're obviously at a point in life where you can afford what you want, are you still willing to make some compromises?

I think the Prius will beat the FX on room in the second row if you're ever back there. I don't consider the FX very roomy at all overall but the M is pretty nice. FWIW, I miss the sound of my FX45.

3. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am 6'3" and I think i have fairly long legs for my height. I find the 2010 model to be much better than the 04-09 model and quite comfortable. However I would think that anyone taller than me would not be very comfortable.

G

4. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm 6' 8" and have a Prius "on order", but don't have one for day to day use, yet.

Surprisingly, the new Prius with the seat all the way back gives me almost the same knee room as my Mercedes 420SEL (although no one will likely ever sit behind me in the Prius). And MUCH better clearance for my knees that our '04 Sienna.

The big difference for me is that the car is "tighter" with the door and that (unfortunate) center console squeezing hitting my legs on both sides.

We certainly would plan on driving this on long trips from time to time, but haven't done that, yet.

5. jb72

jb72 Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I am 6' 6" and weigh ... let's say - I'm portly :)
    I had a Saturn Vue prior to my 2010 Prius IV. I gave up a couple of inches of leg room to get the Prius. That said, I tilt my seat back a little and am quite comfortable.
    However, the salesman told me that the solar roof eats up a couple of inches of head room, so I steered away from it.
    All in all, I am pleased with my Prius

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Exactly, I guess what I was trying to say is there are few cars out there built for those of you that are (really) tall. You've learned over the years to adjust to what is available and fits your budgets. My sitting in the Prius was as good as any other buscket seat car I've been in for a while (including the width)

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The GenIII has more legroom than the GenII. They also changed the location of the shifter knob from the dash to the center console. I have zero issues with room in my GenII and while I'm 6'3" I am very light (thin) so I have a ton of room. My roomate who is 6'5" 280lbs barely fits in my car and when he tries to drive his knee hits the shifter knob. :( To be fair he has long legs compared to his torso.

In all, you are pretty damn tall so I cannot say for sure how comfortable you'll be in the Prius. There seems to a be a world of difference between 6'3" and 6'5" when it comes to seating comfort. :)

To sum it up, I think you can make it work and enjoy the GenIII but the GenII would be a tough fit. Unless you're 6'3" and 175lbs like me. LOL

8. StevieB

StevieB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good info . . . thanks!

I was surprised to see that the front headroom specs were only 38.6", as again I seemed to have pretty good clearance. I'm wondering if that is measured when the front seat is fully forward. I would have the seat all the way back putting my head more in the center of the car (I believe).

The Prius I drove did not have a solar-sunroof, and I know that will probably create a problem. I'm curious though, does the "solar" sunroof of the Prius diminish headroom more than an ordinary sunroof?

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stevie, I tend to recline so far back that my arms are pretty straight to the streering wheel and I have tons of headroom even with a cowboy hat on. :)

10. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 3 is much improved for taller drivers ... a significant amount more of travel in the seat. The center console may bother you, but you will have to check. As far as height ... the seat not adjusts up and down, so that can help with headroom. The passenger seat does not however.

11. The green contractor

The green contractor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am 6'6" and 200 lbs and while my 10 with solar is way better than my 05 without,it still lacked that perfect fit but we should be used to that. This last weekend I set out to fix all that. I took out the driver seat cut off the back 2 mounting points from the slide rails. Then I welded new ones on that were a full 2 inches shorter in height. This mod greatly enhances my comfort as it lowers my butt and helps support my thighs as a long road trip can make my legs extremely fatigued. Now my head is approximately 3 inches lower because the seat slides past the back mounting locations. Alower head location means less reclining and for me even straight up doesnt put me on the ceiling. this also gives you a closer steering wheel so I can even bend my elbows and even use an armrest while steering amazing. The mod took me 4 hours and only had minimal impact to cosmetic plastic covers on side of seat and mounting bracket covers. With the built in chair lift 20 pumps brings chair back to original height for when the rear passenger needs to put big feet under your seat as if that happens much with us tall guys. The extra 10 pumps on the lift gives my 5'2" wife a perfect view of the road. If anyone wants pictures or more info let me know.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  12. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm 6'4" with a long torso and short arms. The legroom and headroom are ok for me I just wish the steering wheel could come 1.5" closer. Average 6'ers can sit in the rear seat with comfort.

13. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    6'4" 250 lbs and the car is very comfortable.

14. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm 6'1" and the driver's side feels like there's plenty of room to spare, and the rear seats seem to have plenty of room, but the front passenger seat feels like it's right on the verge of being cramped, which may be part illusion (it feels, to me, like I'm sitting up too high in the passenger seat). It would have been nice if they threw in the extra $10 of hardware to let you raise and lower the passenger seat.

15. SanAntonio Joe

SanAntonio Joe New Member

Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know if the solar package/sunroof reduces headroom? My salesman checked with a sales team trainer and he said the sunroof slides over the top of the car rather than back into the headliner, thereby giving the car more headroom.

If this is NOT true, I need to cancel or change my order; I need the headroom!

Joe

16. njchpd

njchpd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, indeed. I'm 6'3" and weight is 260. Very comfortable fit. Insight was a no go and Civic was OK but 2nd choice. Plus I can sit in the back with the seat all the way back comfortably (my sons are also tall).

17. SF Prius

SF Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've 6'5" and find both the driver and passenger seats comfortable. Headroom is great! My only complaint is that the passenger seat doesn't have the raise/lower lever so you feel like you're sitting higher.

18. Jasonsprite

Jasonsprite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes ,6.2 and 220 lbs. even with me in the drivers seat the rear passenger has ample leg room.

19. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm 6'3" and a thin 185. Most my height is legs. I find my 2010 much less comfortable than my 2006 Prius because the console blocks leaning my right leg to the right. My hips always hurt because of this. I have to drive with cruise all the time and still haven't found a comfortable position for longer (over 20 minutes) drives. I may try the mod to lower the back of the seat. This may give a bit of support.

The other issue is I think the console isn't structurally setup for me to lean my leg against it. It creaks a bit too much when I put pressure on it.

I'd love to have the 2010 features without the console.

I have plenty of room with the sun roof. If the sun isn't overhead I push the sunroof cover back and it gives a bit more head room that increases comfort but isn't really necessary.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the difference between a Gen3 and Gen2 driver's seating is like this ...

If you're like 6'3" with long legs and arms, you're knee will end up about 2" from the dash in a Gen2 Prius and you will need to put your knees out to the side most of the time (where else are long legs going to go in that car?)

In the Gen 3, the driver's seat has a great seat height adjuster than moves the seat down and back quite a bit ... stretches out a long pair of legs a lot. Seems like most long legs could avoid going out to side if seat is back and down enough.

The Gen3 driver seat travel is better than

- a 2009 Honda Accord I recently sat in
    - 2009 Honda Civic
    - 2010 Insight

and almost as good as the new Camrys (Prius only .5" less legroom)

-----------------------
    All that said, I think Toyota ought to use a more classic console layout like a Camry in Gen4 Prius - put shifter on dash, leave space open between driver and passenger while leaving the standard 2 cupholders there.