1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the neocon movement a self-esteem cult for losers?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Sep 21, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I've been saying for 3 years that the war and the entire neocon movement is a thinly disguised self-esteem cult for those with no education, no prospects, and/or no ability to connect with the reality of our changing, challenging world culture.

In the neocon world, doing what makes us FEEL like we're doing the right thing is more important than doing what gets results. So we wage war and cloak it in Christian terms so we can feel macho and American and like we're soldiers for God. It doesn't matter to many Americans whether or not the barbaric tactics work; they FEEL safer and they FEEL better about themselves by association with Bush and the military. Never mind that the policy is unmitigated disaster on so many fronts it's hard to count them all."
    Pacificwhim
    Salon

Do you agree with Pacificwhim's analysis of the neocon movement?

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Sep 21 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]322981[/snapback]</div>
    Wow I do not consider myself a neocon but it is Pacificwhim's elitist thinking that has changed the political landscape in America. I for one hope the Democrats can come to their collective senses and move away from those that feel about themselves and the U.S. as Pacificwhim does. We are all much better off with two strong political parties.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

I see your point. There isn't much compassion there. But isn't there a lot of truth to it? A lot of people just can't make sense of the complexity of the world and simply answers must be very attractive to them. By voting for Bush, I suppose they feel more powerful, more macho. It is the attraction of fascism. Remember, most Germans supported Hitler. There is also a very strong anti-intellectual bias to American society. As there was in Germany during Hitler's rule, and in China during the cultural revolution. I am just trying to understand how someone making minimum wage could actually vote for his oppressors.

Truth is people who can't understand the world will be exploited and used by those who can. The democratic party has failed to address these issues effectively - they don't know how to exploit people's feelings of low self esteem as well as the neocons.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Sep 21 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]322996[/snapback]</div>
    I think the you are discounting the optimism that many people feel about their futures and their potential to realize the American Dream. This is very simplistic, but the Democrats seem to be more about pointing out what people can't do with their lives, and who is oppressing them. Most people want to feel good about themselves and their shot at bettering themselves.

The Democrats are having a terrible time connecting with the bulk of the swing voters who always define the results of the election. I am one of those swing voters, and I have not felt comfortable with a democratic candidate for President since Bill Clinton in 1992.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

You are certainly expressing the very American idea that people are primarily individuals who must "better" themselves by their own efforts. This is, in my opinion frankly, an atomistic and selfish philosophy. I prefer the utilitarian philosophy of scandinavian countries where people are keely aware of their obligations to each other - resulting in, for example, government health insurance and a unionization rate of over 80%.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Sep 21 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]323025[/snapback]</div>
    Last time I checked this was still America, so I guess it would make sense I would express an American idea. The US has way too diverse a population, has way too free of trade, and way too much spirit to act like a Scandinavian country. If we had say 20 million people who were all from one rather stoic culture( I am rpimarily Scandinavian myself) and had major trade restrictions your view might be possible.

7. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

The problem with Republicans is that they are too closed minded. Things need to be this way. You need to say this this way. You need to worship this way. The individual must conform to the system. Black and White.

The problem with Deomcrats is that they are too open minded. People can do things the way they want. People shouldn't be held accountable, the government should. The system should be overhauled to match the individual. Gray.

That's why political bickering is so futile. All our country ever does is float back and forth between the two parties. When one party gets out of control, we shift to the other one for a while. Then back and forth, back and forth, over and over again. We went from Reagan/Bush to Clinton, then swung back to Bush, now we're primed to (ironically) go back to Clinton. :p

The bottom line is that I don't think that most people are as 'red state' as people think. I think the trend you see to the right is more of a backlash from what is going on on the left. There's a good amount of people in the middle that float to either side. I'm a registered Republican, but I'd vote for a Democrat if I liked him/her. My leanings are right, but I consider myself smart enough not to fall into the close minded traps of Bill O'Riley and friends.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Sep 21 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]323079[/snapback]</div>

If you go back and look at the elections since 1968 things have really been swing to the right(or the Democrats have been swinging to the left) pretty consistently. The democrats Presidential wins were Jimmy Carter in 1976 on the heels of Watergate, and Bill Clinton in 1992 with a huge assist from Ross Perot and as an incumbent in 1996 in the midst of a booming economy.

When I first became politically aware about 1980, my poli-sci teachers were pretty emphatic that Republicans controlling the house, senate and White house was impossible. I think the last two elections are very telling for the Democratic Party, Gore loses in a booming economy by losing his home state. And Bush wins reelection as a fairly unpoplular leader by historical standards.

If the Democrats do not take back at least one of the chambers of Congress this year it may not happen for at least a generation. I disagree with you on Hillary becoming President, her negatives are way too high, it will ensure a democratic debacle across the board.

9. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

People who are themselves Neocons are primarily so because they couldn't beat Clinton, the "Teflon president," and they're bitter. You can see the bitterness in policies they push still to this day, though it's ebbing now that they've tasted victory. Clinton had over 2/3 of the popular American vote at one point; if you disagreed with him, imagine the frustration. The people that run the Bush administration aren't stupid; they're upset. That's an important distinction and why they have a habit of winning lately - they're underestimated.

People who vote for Neocons are people who don't ask enough questions. As President Teflon eloquently put it, "Democrats tend to win when you get the American people to stop and think."

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SoopahMan @ Sep 22 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]323302[/snapback]</div>
    Name one general election clinton won with over 50% of the vote? refresh my memory please, in 1992 he won the election with what % of the vote?

You denegrade those you disagree with. I guess Americans stopped and thought about algore and Dstudent kerry too - no?? And dont look at the demographics in this country - you will find them very upsetting if you are a lib.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here I'll call the Lib-waabulance for ya, :)

[​IMG]

It will never cease to amaze me they call people neocons be cause we dont look at the world the way libs do.. If we did we'd all be riding bicycles, we would have govmt health care and our deficit would triple. We would have to pay higer taxes, and 2% of our pay check would go to those who refuse to work. the rich would become poor, the middle class would become poor and the poor would remain poor (every one would be the same class).... Oh that sounds exciting! :rolleyes: hurry sign me up! :D NOT <_<

Hmm think about it the money would be going somewhere..? Oh thats right it would fund the gov supplied healthcare. The same system that has other countries swimming in debt, or borderline broke.

13. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 22 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]323431[/snapback]</div>
    Right now we're swimming in debt AND borderline broke and DON'T have health care. We spend our money on embroidered hand towels for the troops in Iraq and we are charged $45 for cases of Coke (true!) but we can't afford body armor or vehicle protection for them. I opt for the health care.

Lose your job at the station house and see how easy it is to pay for medical care for your family and yourself, getting on in years. You're on the government dime there right now. See what your own will buy.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Sep 22 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]323513[/snapback]</div>

Exactly right. Better to spend money on balms than bombs.