1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a substitute for the iPod?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 4, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Having found in Linspire a Linux distro that will do everything I need a computer to do EXCEPT add/delete files to/from my iPod, I find myself pondering ways to finally dump Windows.

I could, of course, run Windows under Linux with one of the various programs for that purpose, and run iTunes within that, but then I'd still be running Windows, with all its issues, including having to run a firewall and an AV and keep it patched up to date, and I hate that idea.

I could put Windows on the old laptop and use it for iTunes only, but with all the disadvantages mentioned above.

I could buy a Mac, but that seems a waste, since my desktop computer is perfectly good hardware, and really pretty decent, with its 2.4 Ghz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. A Mac Pro with 2 GB RAM is just over $2700, and an iMac would be a slower machine than mine, with its measley 1.83 Ghz.

Which brings me to my question in this post:

Is there a portable player with all the functionality of an iPod, but which can be run from software under Linux? Here's the problem: MP3 does not provide for bookmarking. I listen to audiobooks and lectures that can be from half an hour up to a couple of hours on a file, and I am not willing to give up the ability to leave independent bookmarks in each file. I may listen to part of a lecture during lunch, and part of an audiobook while jogging, and I want to be able to jump right in where I was when I return to that program. So the player has to be able to play M4A and M4B files, and the software has to run under Linux and be able to buy content from Audible (or from the iTunes store). At least The Teaching Company does not require special software to purchase their lectures.

I have tried several programs under Linux, including Amarok and Lsongs. Amarok cannot correctly read the iPod, and neither of them can add files to or delete files from the iPod. I would happily pay for a program that fully emulates iTunes under Linux, but apparently Apple is keeping the code guarded and refuses to allow a version to run under Linux.

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 4 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]314159[/snapback]</div>
    I would look at the MP3 players, other than the iPod that Audible recommends. I would assume they bookmark. I am pretty sure many podcasts are MP3 and they are bookmarkable on the iPod.

However, if you jog there is no substitute for this:

http://www.nikeplus.com

The system is only compatible with the iPod nano.

Cheers!

3. triphop

triphop New Member

Amarok claims compatibility with the iPod. I don't have one (I bought a refurbed RCA LYRA - yeah, its a piece of crap but it does everything I need @ 1/10 of the price)

PDF Doc
    Some Amarok script

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triphop @ Sep 4 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]314229[/snapback]</div>
    Linspire recognizes the iPod when I plug it in, and AmaroK can see it. But amaroK does not recognize the playlist organization. Instead, amaroK sees a bunch of folders, each with some files in it, but totally disorganized. If I click on one, and if it is not copy protected, it will play under amaroK. But amaroK will not write to or delete from the iPod, and it does not see the playlist structure, which is essential.

Lsongs does see the playlist structure, but also will not write to or delete from the iPod.

Regular MP3 players do not bookmark. Bookmarking is not supported in the MP3 format.