1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there an estimated/ equivalent PiP 'blended' Horsepower and Torque rating?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davekro, Aug 15, 2014.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does anyone know about what the equivalent specs for a 2013 PiP for: 1) Horsepower and
    2) Torque would be? (say to compare to a non hybrid ICE powered car.)

2013 PiP ICE spec: HP 98 @ 5200 rpm, Torque 105 lb @ 4000
    2013 PiP Electr. Mtr Output (MG2?): HP 80 , Torque 153 lb.

I've read on Gen II threads a bit about how you obviously do not add ICE HP to MG2 HP (because ICE HP gets split, run thru MG1 to MG2... I certainly do not know the details, but since the old thread referenced a 1.5 L ICE's HP combined with it's MG2 it was purported (by Toyota?) to be equivalent in HP to a 140 HP regular ICE vehicle. The PiP having a 1.8L ICE plus a larger capacity Li-ion battery, I'd 'guess' would give a higher 'equivalent' HP. But I am also very interested in the 'equivalent' torque rating and how a performance curve might be thought of (for HP too) since neither can be tied to the ICE's RPM obviously.

(For now, I won't potentially sidetrack this specific inquiry with 'why' I'd like this info. ) ;)

Been away for a while. Feels good to stop back into this great community!
    Dave
    PS. I know it is an extremely complicated equivalency to make. That's why I bring the question to the large knowledge base of this community. :D

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know the gen 2 combined HP was 110 and gen 3 is 134 HP

An electric motor makes maximum torque at 0 RPMs, so a Prius is strong off the line.

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    It's actually not that complicated. It's basically the maximum output of the gas engine (98-99 HP) plus the maximum output of the battery (27 kW or 36 HP for the 3rd gen or apparently 38 kW or 51 HP for the PiP).

Therefore, the 3rd gen Prius maximum system combined output is about 135 HP and the PiP is about 150 HP.

Of course, that maximum output may not last very long because the batteries can only put out their maximum burst power for a limited period of time (10-20 seconds) before backing down to a somewhat lower rate.

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, more excellent info than I could have hoped for, an Amazing Bimmer/ Prius Dyno day YouTube AND super quick replies. You guys are amazing!

The reason I was asking about HP and Torque for the PiP is that I am trying to see if I'd want to occasionally tow a small 10' to 15' camping trailer with the PiP. Before sounding the alarms, I am well aware of Toyota's 'not recommended' policy. I will start a separate thread asking PiP owners who do tow (whatever) their experiences.

Thanks again guys for the great and speedy info!
    Dave
    PS size, weight and trailer brakes or not are all variables to be determined. Right now, I 'm just researching the possibilities.

Link to towing thread in a few mins...

6. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So if the 150HP is only available for 20 -30 sec bursts, what might be a relatively sustainable HP after the 14 mile EV range is gone and the PiP is towing a trailer (say 1,000 lbs+ ) up a long hill?

7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    After the battery is drained, it's just the gas engine which is good for 98-99 HP.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And a very different throttle response. Without the electric motor, the Atkinson-cycle engine alone is a bit of a sluggish affair.

9. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    I was explained by a Toyota tech I can use hitch on a PiP as a bike carier only. Towing the trailer might burn the inverter.
    The only Toyota's hybrid suitable for towing is Toyota Auris Touring Sports Hybrid which has a bit more powerful inverter.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Rozi the hybtd Highlander is also rated to tow.

11. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Thanks. I forgot to mention I was talking with the tech about Toyota hybrids available for EU market.
    Anyway, towing is not that important to me so I am happy with my new PiP. Sold my old trailer previous month.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There must be some built-in protection for the inverter. What happens when a car full of Weight Watchers heads up to a convention near the top of the Pike's Peak highway?

Surely the Toyota engineers anticipated such a scenario.

uropip likes this.
  13. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Greg,
    I don't care who ya' are, that's funny right there! :)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    davekro, did you ever wind up towing? i have considered a utility trail for dump and depot runs.

15. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No I did not... yet. I put a curt hitch on for a bike rack which we've used a few times. But we just got back from a two day trip to Yosemite meeting with friends at a KOA camp site. We rented a cabin for one night. This trip was in my new 2015 Mustang convertible :eek:) :eek:) At this KOA camp it was like being at an RV, 5th wheel and camp trailer show!! Lots of fun RV eye candy. Driving home we started thinking again about a small trailer to tow behind the V6 Mustang convertible. Of course my mind went to liking to have the option of using the Prius also. ;o) I am 'toying' with the idea of a 6' to 7' wide by 10' or so long pop up tent trailer. I saw a Clipper Sport 106ST there which the guy said was 1800 lbs loaded, which got me excited. So now I'll waste, er, invest too much time researching this again. LOL

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine would only be 4-500 pounds, loaded. maybe a 5x8 flatbed i can put some plywood sides on. i would be towing in all ev, and i have to go up a 3 mile incline, about 300' elevation.

17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the thread you're looking for:

Prius pulling an RV? What do you pull !! | PriusChat

Choice quote: "My trailer is a 16 ' Midget RV, GVWR at 1700 lbs, with GAWR at 2200 lbs. I'm about at 1900 lbs in trailer.My MPG full tank to full tank was 25.5 MPG, pulling the trailer."

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even conventional car or pickup truck drivers who tow will often add a transmission oil temperature gauge to their rig and pay attention to it. It's not very hard to connect a ScanGaugeII (or a smartphone running Torque) to a Prius and watch the inverter and MG temps....

-Chap

19. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been following Energysaver's thread. He is my hero. :)

And I did buy the device to plug into the OBD II plug last year. I'll have to pull it out and figure out whee MG1 & 2 temps are. I used it before for water temp. when I played withh grill block.