1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is there any downside to a prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stinken1, Jun 20, 2005.

1. stinken1

stinken1 New Member

i have been driving my prius for about a couple of months now.
    is there any downside that i should be aware of? e.g: extra maintenance?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a lot less maintenance. Downsides... if you have trac control.. er.. it think every prius has a basic function traction control.. the engine will cut if you slip.. so.. going up icy roads.. it "stalls".. up slippery dirt roads.. stall... this is the only real problem.

hmm.. other.. other... lemme thing... HID theft.. it's rare though.. engine cut out is very rare.. although fbi was warried about it or some crap.... umm... rear visibility? i adjusted my mirrors so i can see everythign around me.. just some other people complained. hmm... sound.. it's not up to par. sound deaden the car ( however you spell it ) and everything gets much better. there are several post on this right now.

it's quick.. keeps up to speed.. good gas mileage... those are all good things huh? :)

ummm... well.. after 40k miles on my '04.. i'm happy.

oh.. heat

i would sound proof the ceiling if you are going to sound proof. well.. you could just insulate it too... but the ceiling is big.. heat build up... so.. point the a/c vents up if it's warm where you live.. or.. tint the windows and sound proof the car.

not much else i can think of.

enjoy :)

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My other car is BMW 540iA. So you know how I reach the following comparison. I commute in my Prius and am loving it.
    - poorer handling: slow down when you turn. The rear solid axle suspension is not very forgiving. It hops when you push it beyond limit. Most sports car would scream first....
    - be careful of sidewind situation (e.g. driving over long bridges in strong wind) Hold on tight to the steering wheel. However, it is not as bad as in any minivan or SUV.

That is what I can think of now in addition to as expected slow acceleration. Who would race another driver up the ramp in a Prius anyway? I always drive on the slow lanes and enjoy my peaceful commute in my Prius. :p

4. stinken1

stinken1 New Member

my other car is a 330ci bmw. so like ceric, i have much of the same downsides too.
    high winds and turning radius is a big difference...

how does it hop when push beyond limit?

5. stinken1

stinken1 New Member

does a lot of maintenance issues come up after the warranty expires???
    i'm really concern about this, because i've been hearing rumors about this.

6. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cain't anywon spel aniemore?

Come on guys, make a little effort, please!

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stinken1\";p=\"100051)</div>
    Well, the parts that you are probably most concerned about, like the drive train, battery, motors, (and I think the engine), have a 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

8. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Seems we have a big BMW contingent here. My other car is a BMW 740iL. I guess us BMW people like to save gas at times :)

9. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because of the aerodynamic fusiform shape, the vehicle tends to collect insects and take road debris hits directly on the front leading edge and two side mirrors. Eddie currents tend to put fine road dust on the rear of the vehicle (with mud flaps installed). It is hard to tell where the front is sometimes when parking against a curb.

10. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stinken1\";p=\"100051)</div>
    What rumors are you hearing? I still talk with people that think the Prius needs to be plugged in.

Get an extended warranty from Troy and you're good for up to 100,000 miles.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

The dash plastic tends to creak a little TOO much. I'm sure people here have remedied it, but currently, the irritation has not surpassed my laziness... :mrgreen:

12. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Limited rear visibility is the only major drawback, and I can live with it, thanks to the oversize side mirrors.
    As far as creaks from the plastic, I have noticed it only because the car is so quiet. I doubt very much whether there is a "remedy" for it.
    The steering is pretty dead feeling, but after 3 weeks I am used to it.
    On the plus side, has anyone mentioned how easy it is to find in the parking lot? Out of thousands of clones, it stands out, even in the ubiquitous silver.

13. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse\";p=\"100073)</div>
    I took care of most of the first issue by having a Clear-Bra installed on the hood, bumper, and side mirrors. This is absolutely keeping paint chips down - I can compare to about half a dozen other Prii in my parking lot at work.

I agree about not being able to tell where the front curb is. If you aren't careful, you can do damage to the front spoiler on curbs when parking.

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greyskye\";p=\"100108)</div>
    This hasn't been much of a problem for me since the front end of a Prius is much shorter than the car I replaced. I discovered that by default, I was parking a good foot from a curb in front of the car.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stinken1\";p=\"100033)</div>
    If you've had it for a few months, you're already aware of most of the downsides really.

Like most of the BMW owners mentioned, it's a poor handler. Doesn't hold a candle to my old Jetta, which is eclipsed by the BMWs, I know....

NVH is terrible. This is the loudest car I've ever had on the highway. I've heard Toyota is upgrading the sound insulation on the newer models, and that's a good move.

Sometimes the brakes will "slip" if you brake on uneven pavement. You can find other threads about this little issue on this site.

16. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

I find a frustrating down side is trying to use a full service car wash. The car wash jockeys have no clue about the Prius and will try to turn in off like any other car. They don't know/understand that turning off puts the Prius in park.
    I once asked if they knew how to take a Prius thru, and was told that I could ride thru and take care of things. The next time I went to that car wash they refused to let me take it thru, so I left

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ceric, the rear suspension is a semi-independent torsion beam axle (aka twist beam axle). Thank goodness it's not a solid beam axle setup.

Downsides? Hmm...
    - more soft touch plastics please
    - cupholders aren't exactly adjustable
    - dash shows dust quite easily
    - low ground clearance

18. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

The arm rest in between the two front seats is way to low to rest your arm on, other than that I love the car. I don't find it all that noisy. Sure it does not compare (execpt gas mileage) to my BMW 7 series, but it handles a hell of a lot better than the Olds Bravada SUV we have.

19. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster\";p=\"100208)</div>
    Did you know you can use the plastic tray to prop up the front of the armreast? It makes it quite comfortable.

20. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

What plastic tray is that? Mine is an '02 and I cannot think of any plastic tray.