1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this covered by my warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kenichols29, Sep 3, 2014.

1. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a few minor defects with my new car that came with it from the dealer that I didn't notice upon taking delivery, like a door ding. But this one is a little troubling and I want to know if it would be covered under warranty. It is a scratch in the paint that has already begun to rust. It is on the inside of the door on the passenger side. here are some pictures of it.
    2014-08-29 16.20.37.jpg 2014-08-29 16.20.46.jpg

2. My590L

My590L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would definitely take it to the dealer and explain to them what you found. Did you do an inspection of the car at night or in an area that was not well lit when you took delivery? I had a similar issue where I noticed a problem with the interior a few days after. It was when I had the car in daylight that I noticed an issue. I couldn't tell the night I took delivery because it was dark outside. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a replacement part and took care of it.

3. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed it when i got in from the passanger side of the car. I couldnt see it well from the drivers side.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only Toyota can make that decision. I suggest you consult your local Toyota Service Representative. If you don't like what you hear, go to another dealer. Warranty work is pretty much always determined at the dealer level. Sometimes a call to Toyota Customer Line will help if you have a issue that you feel is not being handled correctly by your dealer.

Also, try using honey instead of vinegar when you discuss the issue. Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world when getting people to work with you on issues with your car. You probably already know this, but if not it can at times be a very useful tool. All of us should be that way, but we are only human and imperfect creatures at best.

Ron (dorunron)

chrisj428 and My590L like this.
  5. My590L

My590L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thats definitely a good reason on why you didn't notice it when you took delivery! This will definitely help when you explain how you discovered it when you speak to the service advisor.

6. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd swing by the dealer you bought it from and tell your sales guy: "I know it's super minor, but a new car should not have this." He will ask his manager to take a look, and most likely they will bring the service manager for the details on fixing it. This is how it happened with my GTR, it had a paint defect on the roof. I told them to take as long as they need to fix it properly, I'm never in a hurry, quality work first :)

7. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer I got it at is not known in our area for having a great service department and im getting ready to take it in for my first service at another dealer that is cliser to me and has the best service department in our area. Will they cover it or will they want me to take it to the dealer i got it at?

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer that sold your the car already has made a good profit off of you so they would be more likely to fix it.

9. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just sent them an email about it. I put the turd in their pocket. If they want to fix it then I will definitely do all my service there for now on but if they don't I have a closer dealer that will be seeing me for all my service needs.