Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Is this the correct replacement key for SKS?

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Technical Discussion' started by anthonylokrn, Apr 18, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my car used with only one smartkey and I am trying to purchase a second one for the wife. Never did I know that it was so expensive...

After browsing via the catalog on Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life, I ended up with this link:
    2004 Toyota Prius Electrical - Parts.com

Can somebody please verify this is the correct Smartkey module I need? I didn't see an option for w/ smartkey and w/o smartkey.

Thanks,
    Anthony
  2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy it from the dealer and have the dealer program the car to accept the new fob. Buyer beware if you purchase it elsewhere.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that is the correct one. MSRP on a Prius SKS is 201.26. You should be looking for part number 8999447061

You absolutely cannot program the smart key without a factory level scan tool. At best, you can get the car to start up with the key in the slot. If that is all that you want, then get a used key off ebay.
  4. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am already fully aware of the problem reprogramming a used FOB. Parts.com is affiliated with Championship Toyota, which is the dealership to fulfill the order...saving almost $100.
  5. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! I was able to pull up a item with the part# via the catalog. What is the going price of getting the FOB programmed? I called around to a few dealerships and they're looking for close to $100..total rip.

[​IMG]
  6. seilerts

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Please tell how you will program a new FOB. If it can be done without Techstream, that would be news to me.

EDIT: missed your last post;

Because it requires Techstream, I think you will be hard pressed to find it for less than a 1 hour labor charge. Your best bet is to find an automotive locksmith that can do it.
  7. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Awesome. I went ahead and ordered it with the part# you provided me for ~$153. Is there any chance that an independent automotive locksmith with Techstream can mess up with the programming? I don't want to go to one and then they somehow mess up the programming and put the blame on me saying that the key wasn't a virgin.
  8. seilerts

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as they are using Techstream. They may have some generic type of programmer that could cause trouble for the car, there was a story of that recently where a non-Techstream key programmer undid some zero point calibrations.
  9. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks man. The key came in the mail and I was able to locate a Toyota dealership ~20 miles away to program it for free, though they did not cut the key...I was in and out within 30 minutes.
  10. seilerts

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's awesome that a dealership would program it for free!