1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the summer gas blend kicking in?

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by 2sk21, Mar 15, 2012.

1. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just filled up the tank and observed my best ever tank MPG in my Prius v 3. See my Fuelly link below. I just got 46.8 MPG! (with 49.4 indicated on the trip computer)

I have been driving pretty much the same way so this is probably the effect of either the warmer temperature (unbelievably warm for March in the NY City area like most of the country) or the annual change in gas formulation that happens about this time. Which explanation is more likely?

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's mostly from the warmer weather. I love this time of year and in the fall where both the heater and AC are needed, although on some days I have to use the AC already! It's supposed to be 81 here today - feels like summer is almost here but I'd rather have some spring weather!:rockon:

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We got sunburn in Charleston in February. Your weather is just all wrong. I'm not surprised you like spring.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The warmer weather. People love to blame the gas but that can account for at most a few percent, equivalent to a couple of MPGs for us.

5. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm still on a tank that is definitely winter gas and am also going up. I'd say it's the warmer weather. I'm excited for the summer to come so I can see how well the car does. It feels like summer here today though very strange for March where we normally get dumped on with 2' of heavy snow. I'm NOT complaining though it is a pleasant change but I'm sure will make next year's winter feel longer.
    W

6. 78bonanza

78bonanza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes....see my prior posts. 45 years in auto world and fuel business. It is less MTBE and methanol. Enjoy

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most regions don't switch to summer blend until June officially but that may vary by region. The real difference is in temperature anyway.

Colder air is more dense by up to 10% or more. Colder temperatures also increase rolling resistance of tires by double depending on the temp difference in summer and winter. Batteries are also less efficient. Heater use and other factors contribute to this big hit. This is why so many car enthusiasts who enjoy high mpg tanks love warm weather. :)