1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this worth buying?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by drinkcherrycoke, Feb 13, 2013.

1. drinkcherrycoke

drinkcherrycoke New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have come across a 2006 toyota prius for a really really great price, however I'm a little worried about the mileage it has 245,000 miles the gentleman I spoke with stated the car was used for travel from Wisconsin to Florida, I need input should I even bother looking at it?? He said it runs great and has only had one owner, I just wonder if it's a you get what you pay for type of deal. Please help. Thank you

2. drinkcherrycoke

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With 245K miles on it, the health of the traction battery IS an issue. They commonly make it to 400K or 500K miles in taxi's and so on, but 245K in maybe harsh climates or driving styles, it is just an unknown.

Take it to a actual Toyota Dealership. They will be able to hook up the Toyota TechStream machine and software and give you the health of the battery with each module's voltage and the min/max swing between them.

Other than that, there are things to check for to see if replaced like the serpentine belt that drives the water pump. You should also have replaced the spark plugs by then. Brake pads may very well be original and OK. But if you can see what their health is like, that will show either they are original and lightly used meaning a light city driver or inconclusive. You should also check the date code on the small auxilliary 12v battery and potentially have that replaced as well. Have the CV joints inspected too.

A car with that many miles will always be more work. But with the Prius, very few things go wrong. With that mileage, the traction battery is the main worry.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would definitely get it inspected after reading this:

The seller has absolutely no knowledge of the Prius' workings and therefore cannot make any claims on how good of a shape it is in. If the auto dealer is expecting "shifts" in a car that has no shifting at all, I wouldn't believe anything they say regarding the mechanical or electrical integrity of the car. Ask to take it to a local Toyota Dealership for an independent inspection before purchase. Usually you will have to pay $100 to $200 for this inspection. But if you do not, be prepared for a potentially very expensive repair bill...

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just my opinion that car is an accident waiting to happen. Don't walk away Run. Best in invest that 6K in something with much lower mileage.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this a used car dealer? you'd get a better deal from a private party i would think. i sold my 04 w/95,000 for 6K. i think i would rather have the lower mileage than the newer year. i don't think time does nearly as much damage as mileage.

JMD likes this.
  7. drinkcherrycoke

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so glad you caught that because I am so gullable, I took it for a test drive, felt ok but again I'm not sure what it's supposed to feel like I have no knowledge about cars what so ever, they stated I could take it to the mechanic of my choice to have it checked out, so I am going to look for a toyota dealer nearb and have them look at it, rather have them check it out and not have to deal with repairs

8. drinkcherrycoke

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I have to keep my eye out for vehicles, I'm supposed to be going to a dealership tomorrow for a Honda, but I would much rather get a prius.

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a FYI. If a dealer does a multi point inspection and gives the car a clean bill you're still playing a very risky game. At that mileage you can expect some costly repairs in the near future. I would set aside about $10,000 in a savings account to cover those repairs. Some examples include Inverter, Traction Battery, Master Cylinder and countless others that I'm sure others can chime in with.

Were you considering paying cash? There are plenty of 3 year old used cars with 30,000 -45,000 miles that are worth half the price when they were new and have plenty of worry free driving. You may be able to get a extended warranty as well. It may cost you less to make car payments than costy repairs.