1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is your grill unblocked yet?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cyclopathic, Mar 15, 2012.

1. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine disappeared sometime last week. They either were stolen or were ripped out by the wind. I am thinking stolen because they were wedged in there good.

2. royvogel

royvogel TanzMan

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

It's been in the 80's here in Georgia and I forgot to unblock my grill, but I have been checking my ScanGauge and water temp never gets over 195f. I got 60 mpg driving to Nashville from Atlanta and back last week!

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think you misunderstanding what we are saying ...

For some of us this makes a difference and maybe it doesnt for you .... but saying "it doesn't really help you warm up the cooling system too much faster as the coolant is controlled by the thermostat. If you live in Canada or somewhere cold" is just factually inaccurate and NOT the whole reason anyway.

And top of that all the other points actually "worth" for some (including me but looks like a lot of others) to be bothered with this because I know I do save a few gallons per winter ...

4. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks .. this is the kind of real life data we need ...

I have very similar experience ..

What I was always saying is that this is just another possible technique someone can use to further reduce MPG .... that is it .

All this could be totally useless if your driving situation is different ....

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uh ... that's not exactly what happens .... just the opposite as a matter of fact ...

REV

1 person likes this.
  6. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Coolant doesn't really start circulating the engine before it reaches operating temperature (I think around 180F on the Prius). When you block the grill, you help coolant heat up faster, not the engine itself. You are basically just heat soaking the engine.

7. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Right I was thinking gas use (lower the amount of money I have to part with) which is of course inverse to MPG ....

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Come on the coolant is circulating ...what you may try to say not circulating THROUGH the radiator ....

But even you are saying that blocking the grill will not only stop the RADIATOR to cooling the coolant but clearly reducing the air going through the engine compartment which reduces the engine (and the coolant around it) cooling down ... and with the prius this is significant because the engine stops while you glide/or stop at the red light etc. ... hence produces NO heat during those 0 RPM times and the engine temp will drop (winter time this drop COULD be very significant ...) but that of course will depend on your OWN driving and commute ... so I have no doubt that for you this may be not worth it ... but in general grill blocking in colder areas worth considering ....