1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Isn't it a no-brainer to buy a Prius Plug-in?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by kenji4861, Mar 14, 2014.

1. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

Taking a quick glance around, I compared the Prius II to Prius Plug-in in California.

2014 Prius II - around $23,000

2014 Prius Plug-in - around $27,000
    Fed Tax Credit - -$2500
    California Rebate - $1500
    Total comes to $23,000

You end up paying a bit more because of the tax on the $4000 or so you are paying, but isn't it a no-brainer to buy the Prius Plug in?

I was interested in buying a Prius and it just seems like an obvious choice.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reason I purchased a regular Prius 2 instead of a Prius plug-in is because I live in an apartment environment, plugging in and charging nightly would be "problematic".

But if I had a garage, and a place for a charging unit...I'd be driving a plug in.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you live near a state where they sell them and a state that provides a rebate, I agree that it's a no-brainer.

Some people are anxious about losing the spare tire but one can always buy one afterwards.

4. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Same here, my condo complex doesn't have charging stations yet although I understand it's going to be a new law in California soon that multi-dwelling complexes must have charging stations. I imagine my next car will be a plug-in of some sort.

5. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Absolutely - And if you're in a state with HOV lane stickers, like California, the value is enhanced. Especially now that California only has a few thousand stickers left. Toyota seems committed to incentivizing Plug-in sales which has created an excellent opportunity for new buyers.

6. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

Thanks guys! I forgot that I was blessed with a garage.

Well, I guess I have to go to the dealership and check out the car now to make sure this is really what I want.

7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HOV Stickers are running out, so don't dwell too long on your decision. It's a great car, and well equipped, so no reason to get a basic one over a plug-in (at least right now). Just find the color you want and go for it!

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You need to analyze your own driving patterns and do some rough math.......and consider the C too.

What's the realistic gas mileage for the Plugin when running in Hybrid mode, that is after the bulk of the HV charge is used up ??

It looks like I am going to be able to get 45 on the highway, 48 in mixed use and 50 around town with my C.

IF the PU doesn't do that good after the battery is used up, there are usage patterns where the C would do better overall.

There are advantages and dis-advantages for each model.
    It is an individual decision based on one's situation and preferences.
    Saying that any one model is "best" for everybody is short sighted.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tragically we are not all California Girls. The state of Mississippi is gradually making the transition from horse drawn buggies to automobiles. (I still hear folks call the utilities next to the road Telegraph Poles)

No Car Pool Lanes any where in the state, so no stickers.
    No State Tax incentives.
    No Warranty Extensions
    No Prius PHV sold in MS
    Mississippi has the lowest per capita Prius ownership of any US state.

I considered having Dianne Whitmire ship me one, but my local mechanic would have to deal with it. (Just recently, Mississippi became the last state to sell a Tesla With a registration in Jackson, Mississippi, Tesla’s Model S now has sales in all 50 states | SiliconBeat)
    Kind of a shame, I have 6 220v outlets in my garage, 2 of them 3 phase, and I do not own a plug in car.

10. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, that's what they are, aren't they? :LOL:

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    kenji, read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com & go through the Internet Sales dept. If you can get a PiP for the price of a hatchback and it contains all the gizmos you want then it is a good deal. I have no personal experience with the PiP but I've heard that at it's worst it'll do as well as the hatchback. Best wishes for many happy years with ehatever you choose.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i get around 70 mpg around town in the summer, with no ev available, but ymmv.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm quite intrigued by what the reception of the plug-in model will be here, where there aren't any incentives. All the plug-in vehicles can be spotted on the road in these parts, so there's a show of support... despite the winter extremes.

Seeing daily warm-season averages climb above 100 MPG now that the snow is melting away sure is nice. My 2-year average of 73.5 MPG should speak for itself. It's an obvious improvement over the regular 50 MPG.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As everyone said, could be a no brainer...
    • you want to move fast to get the CA HOV sticker...may help hold resale value of your car
    • see user DianneWhitmire here for sales help if needed (many use her - she has HOV stickers)
    • You are giving up some little space in rear, no spare tire, and sl. smaller gas tank
    • Sounds like Plug_in prices have come down in CA, used to be higher out there

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are they opening minnie to pip sales?

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Will winter ever end here? :p

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those are low MPG numbers you are stating for the C. I average above 55 MPG. Always get around 50 to 60 MPG on the freeway and around 60 MPG around town. The highest I have gotten around town is in 77 MPG :)

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For us Will Summer ever end in California? Its been one hot winter:(

19. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Are those figures from the onboard display or from actual manual calculations ?

My onboard seems to run about 3 MPG higher than actual.......so I try to adjust what I quote or stick the the "fill and divide" actual figures.

I did a ~50 mile trip yesterday on 2 lanes, probably averaging about 50 MPH and the display said something like 63, which probably really is abut 60.

And there is a big difference between 50 and 60 MPG "on the freeway". I have a hard time
    believing that 60 figure IF you were going 70 MPH. The electric part contributes little on nothing at sustained high speeds like that.

20. johntrung22

johntrung22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    u dont have to charge if u dont want to. it will just be like a regular prius. charging is just a bonus on the pip if its accessible so why not pay same price to have a bonus feature. its a no brainer