1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's All Your Fault F8L!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SoCalBPrius, Mar 25, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, it's not F8L's fault afterall, it was of my own doing:D. Let me explain. I bought my 1st prius ever almost as an afterthought 7 month ago trading in a 04 BMW 545i. My friends thought I was crazy "downgrading to a prius" & in the beginning I wasn't too sure if I'd become insane either as I was never the type to like or even think about buying a prius;). Well, it didn't take me long where I ended up appreciating this prius more & more til I love & adore it now. Also, the appearance was growing on me as I saw other cool prius modded up(thank you to all the other members for your ideas & inspirations:D). I followed suit & proceeded to mod "my pri" to my liking. The last of which, nearly 4 month ago, springs & wheel package was added.

Before the Eibach springs & 17" aftermarket wheels & tires were added, I had been averiging 52 mpg calculated since I bought my pri. & about 48 mpg as indicated on my fuelly after the springs & wheels were added. Well here's the point I'm getting at. I know F8L has experimented alot with both stock & upgraded wheels albeit a G2 but still same logic applies & his experience simply cannot be ignored in this matter. Also, for those whose been on this forum, we know he has been supporting efficiency over performance not so much by word(well that too;)) but more by action as he is(was) on stock wheels of lately:D. Well, this got me to thinking & wondering to do what he does(did) & I recall telling him in a thread although I was joking at the time. I may Change back to stock wheels:eek:! So I did it(2 days ago). I actually have good reasons for doing it. First, I am almost at 10k miles(9600 actual) & I will be taking it to the dealer soon for the complimentary maintenance & I prefer to take it in w/ the stock wheels just for personal reasons. Second, & more important, I wanted to see what kind of mpg I can get out of my pri. as I believe I was on a learning curve & I could easily beat my prev. 52 mpg avg. but maybe I was fast learner & I hit my peak & I won't beat it, we'll see as this is what's great about the prius, it's fun like this;). Lastly, I want to say thanx to F8L for letting me make fun of him a bit:D & to him & all the other great members here for always making me feel welcomed & providing me w/ all the basic & technical information for which I need. Btw, I tell my friends & others that I actually upgraded from a BMW now;).

3 people like this.
  2. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the same boat with you for friends and family in disbelief that I got a Prius. After my MR2, Supra, WRX, STI, etc people still think I'm lying about getting this car. Haha

Your car looks good in the little avatar pic with the tint and the wheels.

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhh oh. :)

You know the really cool thing about your decision is you can always swap back to the 17s if the mpg gain is insignificant AND your experience will contribute to the Prius body of knowledge. I only have experience with the GenII so you and our buddy Ninescorpions can be the experts with the GenIII!

So from this point on you need to be really concious of the weather and other little things that can impact mpg. This is your mission! Don't let us down bro. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yeah, I switched knowing I can switch back anytime & u know what. Maybe it's the grass is greener on the other side theory but I've been really enjoying the plush ride of the prius the last couple of days. I love my 17" rims but my god, I forgot how comfortable of a ride my pri was, it feels like a cadillac comfort-wise now;). And mpg wise, I feel confidant driving the way I've been driving on the 17's I'll be able to get much better mileage as I'm already seeing it, which tells me 4 mpg difference might be too conservative.
    Oh oh, palms starting to sweat:D, too much responsibility & expectations weighed on me. As for expert of G3, no way my freind, u will surpass me in no time:).

5. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and now we wait :)

1 person likes this.
  6. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL, what I know now, my sentiment is why didn't I get a prius sooner.

7. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    short, preliminary (2-day) test looking good ;).

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly that is one of my biggest reasons for not putting the 17s on. I mean they are just sitting in the storage unit with nearly new tires on them but the ride is so much better with the 15s that I have a hard time even thinking about swapping. I must be getting old. :eek:

How many miles do you drive each year?

9. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lmao, that's exactly what I was thinking when I was driving in my prius 2day & feeling all comfy on stockers. I'm getting freakin old:p because back in the day I would of never thought about it. Indications tell me it will be close to 20k miles. These days w/ gas prices being the way it is, I find myself driving my pri more as a family vehicle as well to justify the gas savings, hence my Lexus RX sits parked more than it's used to:(.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So here is the good news. If you drive approx. 20,000/yr and the 17s drop you by 4mpg from 54mpg to 50mpg then you are only out roughly $10/mo. If fuel is $3.70/ga. This does not account for more expensive tires.

So in your car the 17s may not hurt so bad if you are only observing a 4mpg. If it's a larger loss then the 15s really start to feel comfortable. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Prius M.D.

Prius M.D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also been accused of "downgrading" from a BMW! I feel like I've upgraded as well and am having so much fun driving this car :) It's a constant battle/game to beat my highest score!

And by the way, let's also not forget about the savings in car insurance, lack of speeding tickets and super cheap maintenance, in addition to the huge gas savings :cool:

12. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm almost hoping it will be only 4 mpg or less just so it makes sense to put back my wheels. Time will tell. F8L, I've been meaning to ask you, how did u put 2 separate wheel parameters of mileage in fuelly? You know what I mean where you logged separately of the 2 wheel sizes on your old signature. I can't seem to figure it out:confused:.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ah ha, so you did keep those wheels :p Lets see some pics of the car with 'em on [​IMG]

Mike

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I added a "new" car. So it was like having two cars. It made tracking odometer mileage difficult but the mpg tracking was easier that way. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1:)

16. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same here! Friends and colleagues thought I "lost it"...I also came from a Subaru WRX/STi world and have absolutely love the Prius. Not many will understand why but they will when crude goes to $200/barrel. I like my cake but sometimes I just can't eat it too.

SoCalBPrius, did you do an alignment after dropping your ride with the Eibach springs or just left it the way it was?

F8L, Is it necessary to do an alignment if I only lower it by 1.2"F and 0.8"R?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did an alignment after dropping mine although it wasn't too out of spec. I was worried about uneven tire wear or lost mpg either of which would eat up the cost of an alignment before detection. I considered it insurance.

1 person likes this.
  18. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone who is not in our exclusive club will not understand;). Shoot, I didn't understand just 7 month ago. Let them keep paying high prices for their gas, maintenance & repair. That's fine by me:D. And surprisingly no, I didn't do the alignment. I was going to do it a week or two after the install but it is now almost 4 month since & I feel that it is not necessary for me. But as F8L & others have said, u should most definitely do it, if for the cost of tires alone:).

1 person likes this.
  19. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1st tank calculated since switching back to stock rims: 429.9 miles, 7.753 gallons @ $4.18/glln. Works out to 55.45 mpg. calculated(57.8 computer). I miss my 17's but at this rate I might not go back for awhile as I can get used to this(higher mpg);).

1 person likes this.
  20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, that's huge!

I wonder if the warmer temps are contributing. Has the weather been much different vs. your best tanks with the wheels?