1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's Finally Time to buy a Prius (Help/Assistance Requested)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Lottamoxie, Dec 24, 2010.

1. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Does anyone else notice that the futher you drive away from your home, the better deal you get?

I'm in sales, and I'm about 40 miles outside of Baton Rouge, LA. I've been in sales a very long time, and the following is what I have noticed:

1) People that live here, think they get a better deal going to Baton Rouge, and many do.

2) People that live in Baton Rouge think they get a better deal shopping outside the city, and many do.

I wonder why?

2. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone here a member of USAA?

Would you be willing to look at the prices in their DB for a 2010 pkg IV in Silver / Misty with no other options? Raleigh, NC. I'm curious if the prices differ at all from truecar.com

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found truecar to be very helpful but like you I didn't want to go 100+miles away to get the potential deal. I just negotiated what I thought was a good deal for me at my local dealership. If you're calling dealers for quotes, of course they're not going to give you their best price off the bat. Once you're serious and let them you're buying "today" you should have better results, but you still may not get close enough to the truecar price to purchase locally. Bottom line, if you want the truecar price, the only option you may have is to go to the dealer that's quoting the given price.

4. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealer recommended by truecar.com is saying that the Truecar.com price DOES NOT include the various fees (which add up to $1,648 more). On the Truecar.com website, the page says it includes destination charges and regional ad fees ($1,648).

Is the dealer trying to run a scam here?

Is the truecar.com price incorrect? Do the fees then go on top of the truecar.com price?

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what to tell you about that. I just checked the site and saw the best price dealer was located 200 miles away from me. The price of $22,810 for a Prius IV is almost unbelievable - I don't know how they can offer that price, including incentives! I guess you need to check on what the incentives are, apply them to the price (I always start at invoice minus incentive) and see if you can arrive at a price good for you. You need to be wary of "too good to be true" pricing because it probably is. Common sense will prevail in most cases and remember the dealer needs to earn a profit. Good luck and I hope you find the one you want!

6. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just made a deal! All by phone. Local dealer!

Pkg IV, no nav, no solar, Silver/misty, no financing, no trade-in.

The dealer offered the car at $25,306 OTD

I offered $24,900 OTD (figuring they'd come back with $25K)

That's exactly what happened.

I said "throw in the mats and the cargo net and we'll have a deal."

He agreed.

So $25K out the door. I put down a deposit.

No idea what the breakdown is...was focusing on my total cost and figured they could work the numbers backwards.

I decided last week that the most I would pay for a 2010 IV would be $25K out the door and that would be the exact amount of the check I would write.

:)

Next I am compiling my list of the things I want them to change (beeps disabled, etc, etc) and he knows that's coming via email.

I will get the car within the next few days or so -- it's not a car that's on the lot.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :rockon:Congrats - you did it!! Welcome to the Prius family!

1 person likes this.
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, way to go. A perfect deal.

9. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Always a dangerous question to ask, but do you think the amount I'm paying for the pkg IV is decent?

Playing with the numbers and backing out tax, fees, etc, it looks like this:

$26,442 invoice

$24,380 before rebate of $1,500

$22,880 after rebate

+ 785.00 Mfg delivery
    + 708.00 tax
    + 128.00 tags
    + 499.00 dealer fees

------------------------
    $25,000 OTD