1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's getting cold out, heater on fresh air or recirculate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blizzard_Persona, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Hello Folks,

As the title states most of the Country is in a steady decline in temp and I am trying to go the most FE route here...

Should I/We be using fresh air or recirculate when running the Pri's heater? Is one more efficient than the other? One would assume that recirculate would be as it is not trying to heat freezing air non stop? and is auto setting at a bearable temp a better route than heater on MAX at a low setting?

I have watched Mr. Nagy's Video where it says to turn the heater on a higher setting for a bit then shut it off and hot air will continue to flow but tonight it was in the low 30's and this didn't seem to work (either the windows fogged or it just got too cold, so I opted for auto and set the temp at 69).

Also, does anyone know if hvac is set to windshield/feet, does the compressor run constant even when set to off? Or only when turned on, my thinking was like in the video run it on high then turn off and still have heat flowing to clear the windshield?

Thank you

P.s. - I filled up my brand new 2015 Persona last night for the first time………mind you this is from the dealers tank, 47.5 mpg indicated, 45 mpg calculated, took just over 10 gallons and travellled 455 miles (last 30 miles with gas gauge flashing)! was hoping for a little more mpg as I have been trying my best with pulse n glide and 55mph on cruise on the highway?...…does anyone know if the east coast has winter blend gas yet in the pumps? I know the colder weather kills mpg though and the 17's don't help...

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You want the system to be heating fresh air. If you don't humidity will build up inside and mist the windows. Once warmed up there is no mileage hit, as the heater uses waste engine heat.

When the car is warming up, I shut the heating system off at stop lights so the engine will stop. When the light is about to turn green or turns green I turn it back on. I use the system in "Auto" mode btw.
    Even though the "A/C" light will turn on, the compressor won't run as the system isn't calling for cooling. Note that if you select "Defrost" of the windshield the A/C cooling compressor will run, to take humidity from the air. It won't run if you select defrost of the rear window.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank you sir for your very informative reply. Much appreciated. :)

Just to clarify though....You say it's ok to leave the AC on in the winter when set to auto as there would be no cooling done? There is no benefit in shutting the ac off after pressing auto when it's cold out?

I am just trying to help negate the FE hit with the 17's as much as possible, with my prior 2013 prius 3, I had no problems averaging well over 50 mpg with little effort... See my first post (granted that Prius had the 15's, and I am not sure if winter blend is in our gas yet around here?, and I am only 1 tank in with my persona)

Oh and I have my tires pumped up to the 40/38 as recommended in another persona thread..... my question is, can I go up to 42/40 with this colder weather w/o adversely affecting handling? Also, how often does everyone check tire pressure on average? Thanks.

#3 Blizzard_Persona, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i prefer fresh air, but i suppose if it's too cold out, you might alternate recirc. as said above, you don't want humidity build up on the windows. i don't use auto, so the a/c is off unless i have it on defrost.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've got at least a couple things in play: the amount of energy needed to run the blower, the loss of heat from the engine coolant, and how the result feels to you. Of course the blower consumes more juice at higher speeds. Also, the feeling of a breeze is not what you want for comfort in cold weather (same reason ceiling fans have a reverse switch) - if the air is hitting you faster, it is likely to feel cooler. Combine that with the fact that it will actually be cooler - the hot coolant can only transfer heat at a given rate through the heater core, and if you blow a small amount of air through it slowly, the air temperature rises more than if you blow a lot of air through it fast.

I typically leave the fan switch on auto and only adjust the temperature dial to what's comfortable. In auto mode the heater is doing what the Toyota engineers thought would be most appropriate, and they were paid to think about questions like this.

If you have heated seats (or a cheap 12V 40W blanket), you might be surprised at how low you can set the climate control and still be perfectly comfortable. You might be interested in this thread where I compared different ways of trying to stretch a tank of gas in case of an unplanned weather-induced stopover (note my car's a gen 1 so details may be different).

-Chap

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  6. ilikethempgs

ilikethempgs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interested in this thread because I have always used the windshield/defrost/feet setting for heat in my cars in the winter. For some reason I don't like heat blowing out of the vents right at me. For that reason and because of where I live and the need for warm air to hit the windshield in the winter , I never use Auto. In the summer I do use auto though if I need AC.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I prefer a 21st Century car that -automatically- adjusts the systems to provide me with the temperature I like. If you turn A/C off you also turn "auto" off. In fact, from what I have seen, if you do anything but adjust temperature or select defrost it turns auto off.
    If you like to do the adjustments yourself go ahead and work in "manual". ;)

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A/C = automatic climate control
    Either heat or cold.

9. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    ^^^^I agree that auto setting is easier as in set it and forget it. Although in my experience if A/C is shut off after pressing auto contrary to what you state auto still stays on.... I just tried this in my car...Just sayin.

A/C = Air conditioning

Aka. Turns on compressor to dry /cool the cabin air...

10. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, I was trying to stress that A/C did not mean cold air conditioning
    I thought it meant conditioning of air whether it is cold air or hot air.

11. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yeah I thought so as well! If A/c is on and heater is running ain't the compressor running to remove any humidity that might be present? If so this would negatively affect MPG right...

But I can see how having it set to auto with A/C on makes sense as that's how the engineers designed the car to make minute adjustments and run the compressor as needed...

retired4999 likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It also allows you to use RECIRC mode because the A/C will dry the air. If you close the vents without the A/C on, your windows will fog up (or ice up, depending on how cold it is outside).

In theory, you would use recirculate because you're not having to heat and reheat outside air (but the A/C compressor will have to run to prevent fogging up). This would heat the cabin up faster. Once you're comfortable, then switch to fresh air.

Or just leave it in AUTO :)

13. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find it odd as I figure recirculate would be more effective at heating the Prius, but I've found in fresh air the results seem to be better.

I'd think it'd be easier to progressively keep heating the warmer inside air than to warm the cold outside air.

14. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recirc works best with cold AC (summer) because it's taking less energy to cool the air PLUS less energy to dehumidify because the internal air has already started the dehumidify process.

With Heat, and particularly in my area of New England where it's a wet snow/cold, recirc just traps more and more moisture in the car. I run windshield/defrost/feet almost all winter, with fresh air. Otherwise, my windows fog up quickly.

But I'm one of those crazy people who cares less about an extra 3 mpg than I do having my climate controls set for total comfort. ;) :p

Someone mentioned "winter gas" earlier is there such a thing anymore? All of our pumps up here in NH/VT have 10% Ethynol year round now.

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 for outside air setting vs recirculate.
    A few of us have had our front windshields freeze on the inside from too much moisture in the cab overnight.
    If you bring in snow/slush on your boots it melts and gets adsorbed (or pools in the weathertec/husky liner) in the mats then evaporates into the cabin air overnight freezing over the front windshield. At least with the system set to outside air some if it evaporates while you're still driving and vents outside.

16. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2014 Prius 4 has about 2300 miles on it (purchased Aug 30). I've not done any precise mileage calcs, but the per-trip mileage displayed on the dash seems to have improved after the first few tanks.

Phil

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm one of those who cares more about clear visibility of the road than either mpg or comfort. As you mention, moisture control on the glass in some of our climates demands fresh outside air.
    Summer blends can still be E10, without addressing the specific issues needed for winter blends.

Sporin likes this.
  18. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC, ALL gas is formulated based on elevation and time of the year/average temperature. It has more to do with additives than anything else. Slight changes make a difference in how well the gas burns based on local factors.

19. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely.