1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Its my turn for a vandalized car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheForce, Aug 20, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got off work and was heading home. As I was coming down the overpass in "wannabe gangsta land" I heard a big thump on the rear passenger side of my car. I thought either I ran over something or I lost my left rear aero cap. When I got home I found an egg splattered on the side. I immediately called the police to let them know. After I hung up I washed the egg off the car. I was hoping for a nice splatter but what I got instead looked like a good spider vain with deep scratches. I called the police back to file a report. They said I had to meet them near where it happened. That was not a problem with me because its not but a 10 min drive from where I live.

When I got there I had to wait a while for the cop to arrive. I only had to wait about 10 min and during that time I had my camera out in night mode ready to snap pictures of anyone that was walking by. Saddly I did not see anyone. The cop took my information and I will pick up the report tomorrow.

If I had known that someone threw something at my car I would have slammed on the brakes and went on a foot chase with my bad nice person knife, cellphone, and camera in hand. I really need to get my concealed weapon license. <_<

The damage looks to be borderline between a buff job and a paint job. :angry: After I get the report I will take it to the local body shop where I had my side markers and other scratch fixed. I hoping they can buff it out so I wont have to turn it into my insurance.

Here are some pics.

Some egg
    [​IMG]

Some more egg
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the scratch and pit marks left by the egg
    [​IMG]

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Aug 19 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]498996[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing that an egg can cause that much damage, isn't it? I had a dent that looked like a golf ball had hit my car (not my Prius), and it was from an egg.

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Coca Cola and Eggs is the worst combination. I remember when I was in a gang we used to vandalize cars with Cola and eggs. Destroys the paint completely.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ouch! I remember finding blue stuff on the front of our Camry once (sorta looked like pooped and eggs.. I just couldn't figure out which it was) when I parked in the front of my highschool once.

I'm surprised an egg can cause so much damage!

Hope it gets repaired soon!

5. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah. We had our Prius for maybe 3 months when it caught an egg on the driver's side, just in front of the driver's door. Unfortunately, it happened at night, and I didn't notice it the next morning (we leave for work very early in the morning), and it kinda baked on the side all day. I removed it as gently as I could, but there are still scratch marks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Aug 20 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]498996[/snapback]</div>
    I'd be very interested in hearing if buffing works. I haven't done anything about ours - it's not too noticeable, but it still bothers me and it's on the list of things to get done.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bird poop will do the same thing. I have a lovely mark on the right-rear door that no amount of scratch remover is going to fix. I haven't had an issue since I put the first coat of wax on it, though.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It will probably be a paint job.

It's not the egg itself. It's the shell that cuts right through the clear coat and down into the paint.

8. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here in Cincinnati there is detail man that I use that is amazing. He has fixed some scratches and dents for me that was just fantastic without much cost. If you want the info PM me.

9. dareniott

dareniott New Member

I hope those large white marks are pieces of the eggshell and not the white primer under the paint. The spider scratches might be able to be buffed out or lightly filled in with touch up paint (like $11 at the dealer) and then buffed/waxed/sealed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Aug 20 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]498996[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't!!! This discussion should enlighten you to the use of concealed weapons. If you did what you suggest (although I understand your frustration) you MOST certainly would be the one going to jail for a long time instead of the punk who threw the egg.

10. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thats horrible. This kind of stuff really pisses me off. People need to learn to respect other peoples property. I hope it's an easy fix for you.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    arrrggghhhh, i'm frustrated for you. hope you get that fixed up without too much trouble.

12. lilandreewwww

lilandreewwww New Member

Hey I know how you feel, I parked my car on a side street over the weekend only to come back Sunday to find a paper sized (8.5" x 11") dent mark + green paint on my driver side door. Apparently someone backup into my Prius and just drove off. I only had my car for 3 months too. The frustrating thing is that I have to see it everytime I get into my car. I guess that's life yea?

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got an estimate. Looks like it will cost me a paint job of about $516. My insurance deductible is $500 so this will be all out of pocket. :angry: It will take about 3 days and they will have to remove the panel as well as the glass window. If I ever find that donkey that did this I will rip them a new one!

As for as the concealed weapon goes I've been wanting to get one for years. I know the advantages of having one and not having one. The key to people having one is discipline. Knowing when to use one and when not to use one. I think everyone should be required to have a gun on them at all times. Weather or not someone actually carries one is up to them. If something like this became law nation wide it would be really risky to rob someone or some place because you would not know who had a gun and who didn't. Crimes would go down because it would make people think twice before they do something stupid. Thats how I see it.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you should get a second opinion. The reason being is that panel is not removable, thats the quarter panel and its an integral component of the car's unibody. The window should be removed as should the bumper, but if a bodyshop told you they were going to remove that panel they don't understand how a car is constructed...

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Aug 20 2007, 05:42 PM) [snapback]499377[/snapback]</div>
    My sympathies. My Intrigue was egged in Trenton once. Obviously we are too generous with the food stamps and probably shouldn't allow eggs to be sold in the neighborhood.

One time in a residential neighboorhood a local urchin thought it would be funny to take a slapshot at my car with a rubber ball. He did. I went down the block out of sight and turned around. I then floored the car and drove straight toward the two sh-ts. Punks will act up because everyone puts up with it.

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:22 AM) [snapback]499017[/snapback]</div>
    Boy, your parents must have been proud. If someone caught you doing that I would only hope they would beat some common sense and respect into you. On the other hand, if you are driving a Prius now, I hope all that BS is behind you and you are now a responsible young man who respects the property of others.

17. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 20 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]499407[/snapback]</div>
    OK you got me there. I think they are just going to remove the window and bumper and cover the rest. I posted that kind of quick because I had a ton of stuff to do.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay good LOL. It wouldn't surprise me if a body shop did think that panel was removable though...not much surprises me nowadays,.

19. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every car on the street where I used to live was egged the second week of summer vacation. Thankfully, my Prius was in the garage, but my mom's Camry was in front of the house. The car was egged in the middle of the night and I washed it off around 8 am the next morning. The cool part is that there was absolutely no damage. The reason is that I had used a teflon based wax on the car about a month earlier. DuPont makes the stuff and you can buy it at Target, it is also reasonably priced. I guess it turned the car into a giant, non-stick, blue frying pan. If you live in an egging prone part of town, it might be something you want to try.

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I got an appointment September 10th. It should be done in about 3 days but I'm taking that whole week off just in case. I plan for my new PC parts to be in by that time so this will give me a good week to build the PC.

Also since I'm paying out of pocket they was able to lower the price to about $485.