1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's official Toyota is full speed fuel cells for compliance after 2014

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, May 13, 2014.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    months ago we had a rumor, now we have an answer
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/business/energy-environment/seeing-future-in-fuel-cells-toyota-ends-tesla-deal.html?_r=0

It appears after this year toyota has no plans for a bev. We will see if this is a good strategy for a company that has shown technological leadership in the past. Here is one opinion
    Will Toyota Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car Be A Success And Be Sold In 2015? - Forbes

[​IMG]
    As Rick Perry Famously said in a debate "oops", that doesn't look like a map of the US.

Now Forbes clearly says that the opinions expressed are not necessarily theirs, and they are not mine exactly either, but this one is one I agree with if you change ev to plug-in, and majority as majority of non-gasoline first vehicles.
    Read both articles and tell me what you think.

TomSwift, hill and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    hill and austingreen like this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Who does besides Nissan & Tesla, neither of which plan to offer anything but bev?

All the other automakers have token bev models, but intend to upgrade & expand their plug-in hybrids instead.

And with respect to "plans", how far of a scope does that reach anyway? After all, we expect major shake-ups with traditional production in the next few years.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting typo in the thread title...

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Double entendre? :p

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that may be the be the biggest problem. Does one part of toyota know what is happening in the other parts, and the world at large? The EQ was cancelled in what seems like a long time ago, don't they update their website, especially the um "mistakes".

I think it would be fine if Toyota was pushing plug-in hybrids instead of BEVs. Spark EV, i3, focus ev, smart ed, fit ev, imev, all do have low volume compared to the leaf and tesla S. All of these companies are at least exploring BEVs instead of putting out false information against them.

What TMC is doing seems like false advertising, in fact the latest BEV bashing has Lexus apologizing.
    Lexus apologizes for anti-EV ad, Plug In America calls it 'outdated'
    Anti-EV, pro-hybrid ad from Lexus gets a whole lot wrong

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    austingreen likes this.
  8. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Rome wasn't built in a day :rolleyes:

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    EV manufacturers should punch back with their own ads against Toyota and Lexus.
    And, unlike TMC, they won't have to LIE in order to land some effective blows:

- Hybrids still use foreign oil and put out GHG's
    - Fuel Cell longevity an issue
    - More efficient to just use natural gas in ICE/hybrid rather than central reforming to H2 and delivering to station

But the biggest one by far, IMHO, is to find out what the taxpayer has paid (or will pay, if Toyota gets its way) to build this H2 boondoggle.

I think pointing this out will win over conservative-leaning car shoppers who may not be naturally inclined towards plug-in cars.

Why on earth would a conservative/republican choose a car from Japanese company that relies on taxpayer-funded infrastructure when they could get a car from a California company that built its own infrastructure, with its own money? When both cars are powered by natural gas, but the Tesla gets it through electricity and existing power plants efficiently and with comparable emissions to the Toyota FCV which relies on NG being converted to H2 at facilities that don't yet exist?
    There is nothing more 'libertarian' than fueling an EV using rooftop solar or a backyard wind turbine, as opposed to the "command-and-control" fuel distribution network and all the associated refineries, pipelines, tanks, tankers, stations, pumps etc. that Toyota seems to want to replicate for its FCV.

Dylan Doxey and telmo744 like this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Japan make cars for their home market - full stop. The Prius sells massively there.

Japan now has electricity issues since the earthquake. They don't want extra issues caused by electric vehicles (or at least I believe that's their thinking).

Hydrogen can be processed or imported I guess, making it good for Japan.

The problems arise elsewhere. The map shown above indicates the low number of hydrogen filling stations. The number here in the UK is about 3. People mock BEVs for being limited by range, but 3 filling stations (all within the London area) are going to restrict sales a fair bit. At least with a BEV you can plug it in pretty much anywhere (subject to the property owners agreement).

11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Why do people always assume, "If that guy doesn't agree with me, he must be stupid." Just because the Toyota CEO and his management don't see electrics as the future (instead preferring hydrogen) doesn't mean he is technologically backwards.

People are allowed to hold differing opinions from your own, and yet still be equally intelligent as yourself.

:)

mmmodem likes this.
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone here said Toyoda was stupid. I do think that those that believe that you can be smart and just put in what is it 100 stations in a decade and be smart about it, and those will be more convenient than plugging a in at home, because hey it doesn't matter how long you drive to a gas station just how long it takes to refuel, are stupid.

OK so who at toyota said that they don't need that many stations because they would be smart about it? That was bob carter. Now if he believes what he said then he is stupid. Its ignoring all the behavioral science we know about placing gas stations. By now we were supposed to have thousands of fcv roaming through california, instead of hundreds. Do you think past promises from the fuel cell lobby mean squat? If you do your stupid, because that is like believing 2+2 = 1000. I don't think you do, I don't think bob carter does, we have to ask what is going on. He must have read some of the criticism. It could be that the fuel cell lobby wants more public money, and the way they get it is distorting the truth. WE should shine a light on it when a lobby is asking for more and more public money, and not delivering.

So I guess there are some people that think no one at toyota would ever distort the truth. Then I got to ask you if you really believe the lexus advertising that said that their was established infrastructure for hydrogen in 20 states, but for plug-ins in only 37. Now you could say we make hydrogen or use it industrially in 20 states, but then we have plugs in 50. We only have public hydrogen refueling stations in 2 states, and honda and gm, you know the guys that have the data on people refueling their fcv, have said its not adequate for more than a tiny test fleet, even though they are part of the same hydrogen lobby toyota is. We have public L2 chargers, in the continental US and hawaii, and L3 in many of those states - that is 6.6kw+ infrastructure in 49 states and L1 in all of them. Lexus appologized yesterday for the distortion and pulled the advertising, but its after an uproar. We need that uproar on the distortion of just how few cars the $200M in public money will provide hydrogen fueling for also. Informing the public about lobbiest distortion should not be insulting, it should be Lexus and Carter that should be embarrased about spreading the distortion.
    Absolutely true, but that has nothing to do with what I posted. Facts should not be subject to debate. Its important to get facts out when powerful lobbies try to distort them.

When the fuel cell lobby is telling me that fcv are better for me than BEVs, and I live in texas, shouldn't they know that we have no public fueling station, so that fast refueling if I get followed by a hydrogen truck, is not a selling point?

I don't think Bob Lutz was stupid either when he said
    GM: Hybrid compacts don't make economic, environmental sense - Jan. 6, 2004

Of course history proved him wrong, and even in 2004 it was easy to see that the argument against the prius was stupid. Why is it wrong when we point out that Bob Carter's and Lexus's arguments against the plug-ins are also stupid?

Zythryn, hill and Trollbait like this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

^^^one thing about working for any major company, each has its own corporate culture and belief systems on
    technical matters. So it's good to have more than one company (eg; autos) because there are lots of Bob Lutz'es running around management with strong (but wildly different) visions. One company may avoid a certain path like the plague, another company goes down it. I am not criticizing Lutz, actually I like him... long run he may be right about hybrids. 2004 gasoline was what $1.50/gal?

Working for a company, I found a person does not have to be a world class genius to contribute as an employee, you just have to be able to contribute within the belief system of the specific company. Sometimes that's not too hard.

Re: Not sure how H2 makes sense for Japan. It is normally made from natural gas but Japan makes some H2 from gasoline (naphtha), whereas nat gas has historically been in shorter supply there. H2 can be made from coal (example of clean coal) or biomass but that's not cheap. One would not import H2, one would import nat gas or other fossil fuel, or a whole lot of solar panels. Maybe Toyota looks at USA and says, wow easy to make cheap H2 there.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could work for Japan. Maybe even the few Northern European nations giving FCEVs a try. Some of them are have the natural resources to support hydrogen, and a FCEV won't be as negatively impacted by a cold climate as a BEV.

It will still be expensive to build the infrastructure though. Being physically small countries does mean the initial hydrogen refueling network can serve a larger percentage of the population than in the US. Their populations are also more centrally located in cities, which further helps there.

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    grammar: you're (you are) rather than the possessive noun

Somebody else made a point about buying American (tesla) rather than importing from Japan. Question: Are Japanese workers any less worthy of having jobs? I should stop buying their products & put them out of work?

Okay yes I prefer US-engineered products, but if the Japanese can work their usual magic & produce a 25,000 dollar fuel cell, then I will bypass the 70k Tesla and 35k Volt EVs.

BTW in 1990 when Toyota started developing the hybrid car (released in 97) I wonder how many people insisted adding EV motors and batteries would double the price.

The web didn't exist back then but I bet a lot of analysts predicted a $40,000 car that "nobody will buy" and instead Toyota released one for ~20,000.

mozdzen likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, but also see the double-standard.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Japanese workers deserve jobs. It is just that my money going to American workers helps me more than it going overseas.

Toyota themselves have said this FCEV will cost around the price of a Tesla S, at first. Latest announcements have the price going up.

The first Prius received a subsidy from the Japanese government through MITI that covered half the price difference between the hybrid and a traditional ICE car. Now that Toyota can get more ZEV credits per car for a FCEV than for a BEV, they are abandoning the RAV4 EV.

18. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I'll own to saying this, and I'd say it again:
    When one decides to "vote with their dollars", they need to take a wide range of factors into consideration....the nation where the car was manufactured or where its corporate headquarters is located are just a few of them.

In the context of Tesla vs. Toyota FCV, it is not about "Japanese workers being unworthy of jobs". It is about rejecting an inferior product (which happens to be made in Japan) for a superior one (which happens to be made in California).

I have nothing against the Japanese or their products. I drive the (heavily modified) Gen II Prius you see pictured as my avatar.
    I gladly chose this car over any other American, European or South Korean cars in 2007. I gladly chose to "give the Japanese worker jobs" and "take away American/EU/Korean jobs" by doing so, for one very simple reason:

My Prius recently passed 100,001 miles. It replaced a 16 mpg SUV back in '07.
    Do the math.
    That's 4,000 gallons of fuel that wasn't turned into CO2, harming future humans, including Americans. That's 4,000 gallons worth of pollutants that isn't in the lungs of our kids or the air of our cities.

BUT, and most importantly: That's nearly $16,000 that I've kept in my pocket. That's means I spent nearly $16,000 on LOCAL businesses and goods and services from the LOCAL economy, as opposed to sending this money to sheiks, dictators, tyrants and greedy oil companies located in petro-states like OPEC, Russia, Texas, etc.

Think about how many jobs that created.

I would apply the same thinking to Tesla vs. FCV, because hydrogen infrastructure is a MASSIVE destruction of wealth. As has been discussed numerous times here and elsewhere, it is better to go directly to EVs since we already have a massive amount of those "wall outlet" things. For longer distance travel, PHEV/Volt solutions make sense since they take advantage of existing fuel stations. Not zero-emissions, but the range extenders in the future will be better, perhaps natural gas or biofuel .

Thus, we should choose the Tesla because it is better for the overall economy, not just "Tesla jobs" or "California jobs". Conversely, we should reject the Toyota FCV, because it would be worse for the overall economy, not just "Toyota jobs" or "Japanese jobs".

Another thing that often gets overlooked in these discussions of FCV vs EVs is scalability and opportunity cost. The fact that fuel cells are expensive and the infrastructure even more so means that even if FCV delivered the same pound-for-pound reductions in emissions/foreign oil as alternatives such as NG/EV/PHEV (and they don't), they would take much longer to be adopted into the fleet in large numbers. This is a huge wasted opportunity cost, because every dollar down the H2 rathole is one less Combo rapid charger, quick-swap battery station, CNG station, etc, that could have been put into action.

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  19. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wanted to address the argument made here that FCVs are somehow superior for nations like Germany or Japan where the electricity is very expensive.

While there may be some nations where FCV 'might' make more sense, Germany and Japan are certainly not one of them, for reasons I'll explain later.

In fact, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Iceland has massive amounts of cheap electricity thanks to Hydro and Geothermal, but if you're making your H2 via electrolysis, then an EV is cheaper to charge anyways. They don't really need the long range since it's a small country.

In fact, the countries where I think FCVs "might" make sense are USA, Canada, and Russia. We have a large landmass and massive amounts of cheap natural gas; Canada and Russia even more so. The Co2 from NG->H2 processing is a pure stream, so it's easy to capture and keep out of the atmosphere.

In the US though, I don't see FC's in passenger cars.....long distance trucks, maybe (but only with a large carbon tax), otherwise, no.

With regards to Japan, what is going on is truly confusing, if not downright disturbing.
    Let's be clear about one thing: if you drive a car in Japan, the energy used to move you came from overseas. Japan imports almost ALL (>80%) of its coal, oil, and natural gas. So there is very little difference between hybrids, natural-gas cars, EVs, or FCVs.
    If your goal is "economic patriotism" and keeping as much of your transport fuel dollars in the local/national economy, then there are really NO good options in Japan.
    At least with an EV, part of the energy could come from "local" nukes (Japan imports uranium from Canada and Australia) and renewables (Japan needs to restart its nukes asap and start tapping its solar, wind, and especially, geothermal sources).
    The H2 for a FCVs in Japan will be 100% from natural gas.....NO one will be cracking water with expensive Japanese electric rates......and this NG comes from faraway places like Qatar and Russia.
    Japan - Analysis - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

As far as electricity prices, I'm not buying it. The general rule-of-thumb for EVs vs Hybrids is that you simply multiply the rate per kwh x 10 and compare this to the price of 1 gallon of gasoline. Thus, if gasoline is $3.50/gallon, then a hybrid will have the same cost-per-mile as an EV charging up at $.35/kwh, and so on.
    read:
    Average electricity prices around the world: $/kWh
    The data may be pre-Fukushima, but I still bet on average an EV will be cheaper to run than a regular hybrid in Japan. Utilities probably have surplus energy at night -like many utilities around the world- when people are charging up, especially if Japan re-starts its nuke fleet.

Germany is an even more confusing situation.
    I again, don't buy the "electricity is too expensive" argument for the reasons outlined above, and would like to point out that Germany has massive amounts of surplus on/offshore wind power that will likely result in cheaper overnight rates with Time-of-Use meters.
    In Germany, nationalism/patriotism with regard to car-buying also exists:
    Germany Likes German Electric Cars; Leaf, Volt, Not So Much

So, let's step back and think about this: while Germany imports massive amounts of Russian oil, Putin uses this as leverage to annex Crimea and threaten the rest of Ukraine. Meanwhile, the Volt assembly line (and most other PHEVs/EVs) here in the USA are operating at a fraction of capacity.
    To recap: German car buyers are "apparently" willing to send their euros to Putins' Russia for his oil rather than to American workers to produce Teslas and Volts that would use made-in-Germany wind energy.

Does any of this make sense? Of course not. But -and I don't want this to become a political argument- it just goes to show that more often than not, the "free market" leads us awry, and gives us results that are the very opposite of what we actually want to do.

A "free market" energy policy controlled by special interests rather than a rational economic policy is how we end up with diesels being more popular than hybrids in Europe (even though hybrids would be superior on its crowded city streets) and we end up with diesel being more expensive than gasoline here in the US despite long, continental driving distances.
    And now it appears the same perverse outcome is happening, where we have EVs like the Tesla taking off in the US, when they would give even more benefit to a country in Japan's situation......that is instead pursuing a "Fool Cell" policy

20. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Uh, "Fool Cell" is that like "Fool Economy"?