1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been a bad bad Prius boy--Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Dec 29, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After returning from our travels in April things have been crazy busy. And, unfortunately, giving the appropriate TLC she deserves to my Prius has gotten pushed to the back burner.

Well, finally, today (yest, 8 months + after getting back on US soil) I finally checked tire pressures as a few weeks ago I'd noticed that my tire wear was more than I would have expected.

You know the rest of the story, the pressures were embarassingly low. Around 32psi rear and 30psi front. I juiced up to 50psi all around (it was about 60F today) and as penance replaced the 3 year old cabin air filter in my wife's Highlander Hybrid. Hopefully that and the fact that I recently replaced wiper blades on both of our vehicles will absolve me of my car care sins.

Anyway, just a reminder to all...make time for your car, check those tires, esp. in this cooler winter weather, and make sure they're up to the pressure you prefer to keep them.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    .... go, and sin no more

1 person likes this.
  3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you father....:hail:

1 person likes this.
  4. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A small "pancake" compressor is not all that expensive. I suggest that you buy one for your garage and set your tire pressures every weekend. You would be surprised how fast they drop when using the elevated pressures recommended here on PriusChat.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a combo tire pump, battery jumper, emergency lamp gizmo. I've been driving with my tires at 50psi for 5-6, or 7 years now and am usually pretty good about checking them monthly at least. But I got out of the habit when I was traveling for 10 months and have just been lazy about it.

I'm pretty sure that one time or another when the car was getting an oil change or otherwise at a service dept. that someone "kindly" decided to lower the pressures to the manual recommended levels (34F/32R), and with the cooler weather they dropped to the levels above.

6. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You would have noticed that had you been religious about setting the pressures weekly or even bi-weekly.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mothballed my compressor and use an old bicycle pump instead. The quiet is nice.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just check mine at the petrol station about every few weeks, I'm rarely down more than 2 or 3 PSI.

On a camping trip recently I had to travel few miles but on very rough rutted dirty roads. I set the tires down to 22 PSI (is that some kind of record) and left them like that for the whole three days I was there. I only drove about 7 miles over that three days and only at about 25 MPH. It didn't seem to hurt anything.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the paramedics have recommended I stop doing that after having to come give me supplemental oxygen and picking me up off the garage floor one too many times when I tried that method!! :mod:

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise, my tire pressures have always remained pretty stable other than temperature associated fluctuations or if I had a leak. There's probably some mild loss of pressure over extended times, but certainly nothing requiring checks more often than once a month or so--again, unless there's a dramatic temperature change.

I think that was actually a contributing factor to my laziness, I knew the pressures usually stayed pretty stable so I kept telling myself it could wait...but I didn't plan on waiting 8 1/2 months!

11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gosh, not to be a stick in the mud but...
    I never(of course I check them quarterly) have to make adjustments to my tire pressure when the tires are filled with Nitrogen, and in my Hybrid Highlander and Prius I just wash the in cabin air filter three or four times a year.

12. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I checked my tire pressure after reading that dealers lower them to give a smoother ride. Yup tier pressure all around was 30. After I get my car back today I am pumping those babies up.

13. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the cat and mouse game with tire air pressure at the dealership. Everytime one of my cars goes in ,it comes out with factory tire pressure even when i tell them don't touch the tire pressure.My cross to bear i guess ,for going to the dealership. Foregive me father for i have sinned.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to make a show of checking the pressure in front of the service guy, then asking to use their pump to top them back up...juvenile, yes, rewarding anyway--defiantely!:cheer2:

15. danboy

danboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why so low, what do you gain from 22PSI and can that help in snow?

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know about snow, being here in sunny So Cal. My son goes off road in his Jeep, and lowers the tires all the way around to make it easier getting over rocks, etc. Of course he has special valves that he can set with the desired pressure and an on-board compressor system to pump them back up for highway use.

I like to check my tires every couple of weeks at cold pressure, so I have a portable tank in my garage, which I find quicker to use than a portable compressor. My daughter just bought her first Prius, and the next day we went out and bought her a tank and good quality pressure gauge.

The problem with dealers never goes away. I'm thinking of putting green valve stem covers on next time, just temporarily. Maybe they'll think I have nitrogen in my tires and not just automatically lower the pressure.

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mostly for ride comfort on very corrugated dirt roads, but also for traction on some sandy tracks at the camp site.

You have to be careful how low you go. Obviously the tubeless tires need the pressure to seal them to the rims, and you've got to be mindful of not bottoming out the tires. There's also slightly reduced ground clearance, so 22 PSI is about as low I'm prepared to go. And that's with keeping to a very reduced speed.

The track is very corrugated and with hard tires you just bounce and vibrate like crazy. Large 4WD's will typically travel it at about 45 to 50 MPH, but it's an isolated location with very little traffic so it's not really a problem to go much slower. Only one vehicle passed me in the same direction while getting there and back. Like I said it's only about 4 miles (each way) of the rough road, so taking it real easy at about 20 to 25 MPH only adds about 10 minutes to the (3 hour overall) trip.

I'm not sure about snow, but in sand there's a huge improvement in traction with using these very low tire pressures. After the rough road to get into the area, it's then some sandy tracks to get to the best camp sites (it's a coastal area). Here the low tire pressures can really help too.

BTW. I pumped the tires back up to 40/38 as soon as I was back on the main road, and still averaged over 50 MPG for the overall trip. :)

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In snow you either need to stay on top of the snow, pack it down solid, or push through it to pavement. You aren't going to stay on top of it with a passenger car on tires, so low pressure doesn't help and probably hurts.

On dirt, gravel, rocks, etc you get better traction when the tire conforms to the surface, so the lowest pressure you can safely run is good.

If your pressure is too high you will sink into sand and pieces of gravel will act like ball bearings if the tire can't encompass them a bit.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem a month ago. I was actually going to lower my pressure for a more comfortable ride and to my surprise it was already lower thanks to the cold weather. Pretty embarrassing. :)

20. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you get the tire pressure warning light on the dash?

Only time I got the warning light was when the dealership lowered the pressure for 'courtesy' after a tire rotation.